Find
Notify
Tools

Accurate Ruger #1
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted
ConfusedDoes anyone have a super accurate Ruger #1 Varmint rifle ??? Something comparable to an out of the box 12bv-ss-s? Eekerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Ruger#3 with a Douglas barrel(#7 taper)
1in10 twist in 250/3000 AI. It shoots 75gr V-Max
sub-minute at 200yds and has taken prairie dogs a shade beyond 350yds.
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!!

IF YOU'RE GONNA GET OLD,YOU BETTER BE TOUGH!! GETTIN' OLD AIN'T FOR SISSIES!!

Posts: 381 | Location: Sebring, FL | Registered: 12 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
3 of them - all rebarreled (maybe even 4) one in 204, one in swift, one in 6mm/250ai, plus the fancy one that kobe just rebarreled in 300 h&h is grouping about 1.25 at 200

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
ConfusedDoes anyone have a super accurate Ruger #1 Varmint rifle ??? Something comparable to an out of the box 12bv-ss-s? Eekerroger
I don’t’ know Roger. The Ruger No. 1V is capable of some fine accuracy. I have no idea what an "out of the box 12bv-ss-s" is, I would imagine it’s a Savage but I don’t know for sure. Out of the box, how do those 12bv things work?
I guess this is a “show me yours and I’ll show you mine” type of thing. Big Grin

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MickinColo:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by bartsche:
ConfusedDoes anyone have a super accurate Ruger #1 Varmint rifle ??? Something comparable to an out of the box 12bv-ss-s? I have no idea what an "out of the box 12bv-ss-s" is, I would imagine it’s a Savage but I don’t know for sure. Out of the box, how do those 12bv things work? Big Grin

Really great. My Ruger #1 in 22 jet is OK most of the time but I haven't mastered it yet. Frownerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The three I have in order of their accuracy:

218 Bee
22 K Hornet
204 Ruger

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you are going to have difficulty getting a no. 1 to shoot as well as a high quality bolt action. i have two no. 1s, and one is a good shooter, but it does not compare with my more accurate bolt action rifles.

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
390ish, there is a simple fix for making a #1 shoot. It involves attaching a piece of bar stock to the bottom of the barrel, drilling and tapping it, and reattaching the forend that way. The forend screw that Ruger uses puts an undesirable stress on the barrel.

My gunsmith has fixed quite a few #1s this way...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 390ish:
you are going to have difficulty getting a no. 1 to shoot as well as a high quality bolt action. i have two no. 1s, and one is a good shooter, but it does not compare with my more accurate bolt action rifles.

I've never owned a #1 but 3 of my buddies are former owners. They all sold their shooters for the same reason, lack of accuracy after many attempted solutions.

I think that they look great and maybe if you are lucky and get one that will group in a reasonable fashion it would serve as a hunting rifle. Perhaps if the distances are not long it could also be a winner.

Beyond my 3 buddie's experiences I have not heard of good reports on accuracy other than those listed above. Perhaps some of the manufacturing methods have been improved to meet the needs of a varmint hunter???? Personally I am not a buyer at this time.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am pretty serious a/b my rifles and the groups they shoot. I am no benchrester, but get .5 groups regularly.
My #1 218 Bee shoots .5 groups
My #1 7x57 shoots .5 groups
My #1 6.5 x 300 Wby shoots .5 groups
And the last #1 in 30-06 that I bought to build a custom on shoots 150g Fusions .75---w/ a crappy trigger! This can be fixed.
The only one that gave me any problems was the custom 6.5. It's just VERY sensitive to COL.

Posts: 1135 | Location: corpus, TX | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My son has a 25-06 no.1 with 87gr serrias at 3400fps its a soild 3/4inch rifle. Wacks p dogs just fine one gets plenty of air time from a dog with it.

My no1 light sporter in 06 is a 1.125 inch rifle I have killed a lot of game with it.

Posts: 19569 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
The problem I have and many others have with the No.1s is the 2 piece shock, and the front hanger design. A Lot of no.1s that shoot poorly just need to be tuned. And there are guns that just have a bad barrel (Ruger let the quality control get out of control for a few years). That’s something a lot of people aren’t willing to spend much time or money dealing with.

I’ve found over the years that some No.1s can be very sensitive to powder charge weight and barrel heat because of the stock, hanger, and barrel relationship. They are fussier than a bolt action because their harmonics nodes can be pretty tight.

Here is an example of the about statement. This is the highest harmonic node I can hit with this rifle, bullet, and powder combination before going high pressure. The flyers are number 5 shot because of barrel heat. Notice how tight the charge weight is before the group goes to hell.

To answer your question somewhat directly, “a super accurate Ruger #1 Varmint rifle ??? Something comparable to an out of the box 12bv-ss-s?”. Not usually.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MickinColo:
The problem I have and many others have with the No.1s is the 2 piece shock, and the front hanger design. .

flameWow ! Those targets showing the results of small differential amounts of powder are amazing. beerroger

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the original question was regarding "out of the box" accuracy. Bill Ruger didn't line all the ducks up when he brought out the No.1. They are pretty, they are expenive but they can't hold a candle to the rifle bartshe asks for a comparison too!!...........and even Savage has mde improvements to their BV-SS and that would be the VLP's and the F-Class offerings...............Just how many Ruger #1's will be at the benches at matches this summer in your neck of the woods?? Not many I'm guessing!! GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just how many Ruger #1's will be at the benches at matches this summer in your neck of the woods?

I’ve never seen one. So my best guess is zero.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had two issues with the three I used to own, accuracy and point of impact change.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2646 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by df06:
I had two issues with the three I used to own, accuracy and point of impact change.

I understand those complaints. Those are the main issues the No.1 has had from the get-go. Those issues can be defeated for the most part by tuning the rifle and changing some things out but the No.1 will never be anything more then a single shot hunting rifle. But it was never intended to be anything more than that in the first place. Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
One dosen't buy a No.1 to use in brench rest matchs One buys one becasue they are fun rifle to use.

I have very much enjoyed mine for the past 30 plus years never had any trouble with it as far as killing game.

It has been a fine single shot hunting rifle.

Posts: 19569 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one that is factory stock that is very accurate
25-06 btw,

Posts: 291 | Location: wisconsin  | Registered: 20 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Big GrinWhite Eagle, Is it repeatable? That's a great looking group but is it repeatable? A great choice of chamberings may have helped! GOD'S chosen chambering............25-06!! Big Grin Big Grin GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
very repeatable

the load was slightly modified to get the group you see there
before it was in the 5/8" range
yes I have shot these same sized groups again

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Hicks accurizer really helped my 7x57 no. 1. I have not installed one on my 25-06. The 7x57 is now consistent, the 25-06 needs some help. I have a stainless Rem 700 in 25-06 that shoots so well, I might not ever get around to doing anything with the ruger.

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My #12 .218Bee, with 40gr. Noslers at 3,650 to 3,700fps did exactly what Mick's is doing. 4 or 5 in a tiny group - usually around 3/8" for that load, then start throwing the odd one high left about an inch inbetween the groups.

My 7x57 with 140 Nosler's at 2,940fps simply shot 1/2" round groups - 3 rounds, 5 or 8 same deal, no walking, no flyers.

Daryl S.

Posts: 169 | Location: Central B.C. | Registered: 27 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was so impressed with the accuracy of my #1 that I bought another
a 220 swift ai that shoots groups smaller that the ones I posted earlier
love the #1