New
Find
Notify
Tools

22 cal match bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone ever try any of the 22 caliber 60-80 grain match bullets on coyotes. If you have, tell me what you think. I am shooting a 22-250 and am thinking about it. I am currently shooting pdogs with 40gr of H380 and 52grain Sierra HPBT match bullets which work pretty good out of my gun but don't know how they would hold up on a yote. Nosler has a 69 grain bullet with a good B.C. which I would like to try.

Regards,

Greg

one of us
posted Hide Post
Unless your barrel has an unusually fast twist, the longer, heavier bullets may not stabilize.

If unstable, they will yield very poor accuracy at best, landing sideways at worst.
My .22-250 is a 1:12 and wouldn't spin the Sierra 69's fast enough to keep them nose-on at 100 yards.

The bullet box mentioned something about needing a 1:9 or something like that. Since this notice was obviously intended for someone else, I decided to try them anyway. [Big Grin]

Posts: 588 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 08 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You could maybe switch over to the Sierra Gameking bullet but I don't see a whole lot wrong with what you're using now. I've killed quite a few coyotes using 55gr bullets of one sort or another. Hornady and Remington comes to mind.
[Big Grin]

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would give the 69gr BTHP a try if I were you. I have a new savage 12BVSS with a 1 in 12 twist and it shoots the 69's into a .400 group at 100 yards using 31.5 grs of varget. I know it is not supposed to but it shoots really well. Other guns that I know of won't shoot them but this one does. I would also try the 55 gr BTHP by Sierra they shoot real well and would do a good job on a yote......

Posts: 70 | Location: Lyndon Vt. USA | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
I bought a box of Nosler 69grHPs just to see what they would do in my .22-250 w/1-12 twist. Did right well. [Smile] However,(knew there had to be one didn't ya?) in my buddy's gun, same twist, he can't get accuracy with anything over 60grs. [Frown]

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My .22-250Rem has a 1 in 14" twist, and anything beyond 60gr is out of the question. Even 60gr is questionable. But that sucker is super accurate in those bullet weights that it will shoot - 50,52 and 55. If I need a bit bigger bullet, it just gives me an excuse to drag out the .243Win. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote