THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Need a new varmint rifle scope

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need a new varmint rifle scope
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted
I posted this on the Optics forum but got just a couple responses. I have a heavy barrel 22/250 with a 4-12x40 Burris that has been on it for years and I am looking to upgrade to higher magnification. Been a Leupold and Burris fan for years but am opening my mind a little to some other ideas. I really must have good quality but I also really like getting good deals ( a lot of scope for the money spent ). I'm looking at 6.5-20 and 6-24 power range, I normally shoot prairie dogs and coyotes and punch quite a bit of paper but not competing, just for fun. You all have any ideas?

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
depending on $$$ - the 8.5x25 mueller can be had right at the moment for 159; the sightrons I've had excellent luck with, Nikon is right up there with leupold, there's nothing wrong with the 3200 or 4200 bushnells, The burris are good as long as you don't need service. Go check Theopticzone.com Muellers I think have to be purchased through their website Muelleroptics.com

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Did you think to use the search function for others who asked the same question?

My 22-250 carries a B&L Balvar 6-24x, but they're not made anymore. Probably equates to the Bushnell 4200, now.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I've been playing with the Weaver V-16 and V-24's lately and have been really impressed with them so far. Clear optics and dead on adjustments.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12580 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Stormbringer
posted Hide Post
Best bang for the buck imho is the Nikon Buckmaster 6-18 or the Bushnell 3200 or 4200.

Mike.

Posts: 94 | Location: Fruit Heights, Utah | Registered: 01 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know who makes them but I recently got a closeout deal on one of Cabela's "Alaskan Guide" house brand scopes.

It's a 1" tube 6.5-20x44 scope with a simple duplex reticle.

After having it for almost a month I have to say it would have been a good deal at the original price of $319, the fact that I got it a third cheaper than that made the deal even sweeter.

I put it on my nearly new223Rem 700VSSF and just managed to get it down on the rifle with Medium height Leupold rings...

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktail53
posted Hide Post
+ 1 for the Nikon Buckmaster series scopes. I put a 4.5-14x40mm sa on my walking varmiter .204 and I really am impressed. The side adj focus feature is tops. BT53

Elk, it's what's for dinner..

Posts: 267 | Location: So. Oregon | Registered: 11 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Allan,
Did you get that scope at the bargain cave in your local store?
I recently talked to Cabela's and they still aren't letting the cat out of the bag and telling who makes those for them. I have a hunch that it is Bushnell that does it, some of the turret bodies and ocular bell shapes are very close to the Bushnell Elite and Trophy series.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of lofter
posted Hide Post
the 6x18 buckmaster's nikons are really nice. I just bought my second one. For what you have in mind i'd get the target dot model. However..I also have a mueller on a $1500. varmint rifle and for the money it works quite well. I also own several leupolds bushnell elites other nikons a pentax weavers. Do lots of searching watch ebay all gun sales you'll make a deal somewhere. Goodluck

Anything worth doing is worth doing right the first time.

Posts: 411 | Location: Southeastern Pa | Registered: 30 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
I posted this on the Optics forum but got just a couple responses. I have a heavy barrel 22/250 with a 4-12x40 Burris that has been on it for years and I am looking to upgrade to higher magnification. Been a Leupold and Burris fan for years but am opening my mind a little to some other ideas. I really must have good quality but I also really like getting good deals ( a lot of scope for the money spent ). I'm looking at 6.5-20 and 6-24 power range, I normally shoot prairie dogs and coyotes and punch quite a bit of paper but not competing, just for fun. You all have any ideas?

I think that the higher power scope would work just great for the Prairie Dogs and targets. But for calling coyotes I'll be very frank with you it will suck. The scope you have on there now is about as high as I would go on the lower end. Maybe 4.5 Max. My person favorite on calling/carry rifles is 2 x 7 to 2.5 X 10.

Consider keeping the heavy for PD and targets with a 6.5 X something and put that Burris on a lighter carry rifle. You'll enjoy your walking hunting and calling a lot more.

Take a look through a Weaver Grand Slam a very good value for the money.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
Allan,
Did you get that scope at the bargain cave in your local store?
I recently talked to Cabela's and they still aren't letting the cat out of the bag and telling who makes those for them. I have a hunch that it is Bushnell that does it, some of the turret bodies and ocular bell shapes are very close to the Bushnell Elite and Trophy series.

No this was in the regular scope counter.

they had simply remarked this $319 scope down to $199.

they had two left and I couldn't quite make myself buy it so went back the next night (Cabela's in Hanover, PA is only about 30 miles from me) and they had ONE left, the demo!
They offered 10% off because it had their labels taped to it, I thought about that for Oh.... mabey 0.015seconds and said yes....

I like using the "mini" Clay targets (set on edge in the snow) for hit/miss practice and it's kinda neat being able to READ the brand name on the target through the scope before it is blown to pieces
This is my very first scope that exceeds 10X.

I'd live to know who makes those scopes.

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Versifier
posted Hide Post
Everyone's eyes are different, and this can be a problem with moderately priced scopes. (Redfields and Bushnells just don't seem to work well for my eyes, though they are good units and others do well with them. I can use Tascos and have one now that I like.)
I have never had any problems with Leupold scopes and have owned many. You can't go wrong buying a Leupold. Nikons are a good scope and a good value, too. Weaver makes some good ones.
As for the high end units, I really can't see buying a scope that costs more than the rifle, though I'd love to own a Swarovski, Zeiss, or Kahles, etc. If someone wants to give me one I'll accept it gratefully.

..And why the sea is boiling hot
And whether pigs have wings.
-Lewis Carroll

Posts: 224 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 01 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At the time, I was short on bucks. Had a K 10 on it for years and with a new stock, & new barrel decided the lil gun needed more glass too. Was getting where my age and bad eye's were making it hard to see with the 10x and then I'd started calling coyotes too and the ten was too much when light wasn't good.

Ended up with a 6-18x Simmons for about $80. I've been mighty pleased with it for the price. No way it's a quality glass like you guys are talking. But, it allowed a couple jugs of fresh powder and 5000 bullets at the same time too.

I shoot out here on the short grass plains of SE Colorado where the power is needed. Some of the prairie dog towns I shoot up run for a mile across or more. When the wind is calm I get to stretching shots that make my partners shake their heads in wonder. Amazing how far it is back to the truck sometimes after walking out there to check out some long shots. Just as amazing is how many hits I can make with a .223 and 55gr loads.

Funniest and closest shot I've made was crawling under a high fence near a hole where one had kept popping up and down every few seconds not stayin long enough for a shot. Just for the hell of it, had a K 38 in my hand pointed at the hole. About THREE FEET up he came and blam! Partner had a good laugh about my 'cheating shot', claimed George crawls up to the hole so he won't miss".

Lookin for a p/dog shootin partner again. If you're around this area, send me a note, maybe we could go shoot a few hundred someday soon. georgeld@hotmail.com

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5956 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll second the V-16 weaver...mine has the fine crosshairs with the dot. I love it.

I'm what you call your basic famous.

Posts: 1257 | Location: Colusa CA U.S.A. | Registered: 27 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will have to make it a third on the weaver v-16 or v-24!!! I have a v-24 on my 22-250 and I am very satisfied with it.

beer

Make every shot count!!!

Make every shot Count!!!

Posts: 94 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 03 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Snellstrom: I have been dealing with your "good deal" situation for Varmint scopes going on 45 years now. I also am a Leupold kind of guy and have a triple batch of them on my Varminting rigs!
Over the decades I have had nothing but sensational performance and reliability from the Leupolds! Not even ONCE have I been surprised or disappointed with my Leupolds!
For many, many years when I got a new Varminter it was automatically geared up with a Leupold variable usually of the 6.5x20 variety (my favorite "all around Varminting" scope!). But recently I have been wavering from the VERY pricey Leupolds into Nikon and Weaver and Sightron land!
I have 3 big Sightron (6x24) variables and 2 Nikons (6.5x20's) that have come home to roost on my newest Varminters. Along with those I have recently purchased 3 Weaver V16's (4x16 variables) and 2 Weaver KT15's (straight 17 power) scopes!
I find the Sightrons hold P.O.I. very well and tracking is fine. The only slight difficulty I see with them performance wise is a slight "darkening" of their image at 22 to 24 power!
The Nikons are wonderful afield as well as at the range with their bright image and pleasingly designed and functional (ranging aid) Du-Plex reticle (Niko-plex?).
The Weavers are impressive especially considering the prices I paid for them. Their tracking at the range is precise and reliable!
My "good deal scopes" have made me very happy!
But for the scopes that will be going out all night long in below zero weather or in snow and inclement weather and in and out of a hot truck cab to the frigeid elements (like in Coyote and Fox night Hunting) I still use and prefer my Leupolds!
Is my preference here worthy of the extra bucks the Leupolds command - I still think so!
Their re-sale value is tops and if I were to ever need (knock on wood) their service department it is first rate for sure.
The money one spends on a Leupold is a good investment, I still maintain. BUT when I buy a new Varminter ($500.00 to $800.00) and then want to add a 6.5x20 Leupold its another $500.00 on top of it all, at the time!
Hence the searching out of good deals and used scopes has become rather common with me anymore!
Good luck to you - if you are searching!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check out the Swift scopes at eabco.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER
SA Stainless Savages,Swift Premier Scopes and SSS Triggers.

Posts: 25 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 24 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i own two swift 6-24x. one is on my 22-250; other is on my 223. both rifles are heavy 26 inch varmint arrels. scopes shoot great on both;;just pick a good set of monts/rings/ chaz

Posts: 279 | Location: michigan | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
Just bought a Swift Premier 6X18X44 WA scope today. $209 with target turrets, sunshade and AO. Not on sale.

This will be my second one of this model and my forth Swift, including a handgun model. I did not opt for higher magnification as I am sending an older Redfield Varminter 6X24 in for repair and this will be my "spare" when that gets back. I almost went for the 6X24X50, but that is a little much for a "just in case" scope.

They work well for the money and the "over the counter" warranty can't be beat.

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote