THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Anyone Shoot A Lamintate CZ 550 Heavy Barrelled 22/250

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone Shoot A Lamintate CZ 550 Heavy Barrelled 22/250
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am just enquiring if anyone owns and shoots one of the cz laminate stocked heavy barrelled 22/250's.

How do they shoot ??

I love the cz's I own in bigger calibres and also have one in .22 Hornet but I want to know how it would compare to my Rem 700 VSSF 22/250 ??

Thanks.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a freind who has a 550 with laminated stock and heavy barrel with set trigger. It shoots very well. At a recent prarie dog hunt he had a hard time putting it down. His favorite load is 55 gr. vmax with 40 gr. h380. And 55 gr. vmax with 3031 powder.

Posts: 29 | Location: Inpls. Indiana | Registered: 23 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rook,

as I shoot mainly CZ's now I am thinking of trading my Rem 700 vssf 22/250 in on one to stream line my collection. A few people have said I am mad, but my little cz hornet shoots so well and if thats anything to go by ??

What groups can he get with this outfit. Also the cz's feel like quality to me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
anyone else out there own one ???

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not certain, but it seems to me the CZ is the old Brno. If so you certainly won't go wrong with it. They make some very accurate rifles. I've got my sights set on the Varmint model, the one with the laminated stock and perforated sides. Boy, that's a sweetheart and then some.
I'm still a Remington fan and just bought a Remington VLS in 6mm Rem. but I suspect the CZ can give Remington a run for the money. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have a CZ 550 in .308 standard version not the varminter, it's sub MOA out of the box. Very happy with it.

Posts: 41 | Location: Rhode Island | Registered: 30 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As I want to stream line all my rifles my Rem 22/250 may be traded on one of these [Cool]

My Rem 22/250 definitely is a shooter but I just loive these CZ's so much that eventually I would like all my rifles to be cz's. That way your using the same triggers actions from rabbits through to bigger stuff.

one of us
Picture of cowboy77845
posted Hide Post
I shoot the 223. Just got it so I have not put many rounds down range. It shoots 55 gr VMax, 45 gr Winchester, GI Ball,and Remington 55 gr within an inch of each other @100 yds. Hornady 55 gr VMAX shoots smallest group of those I have tried. I like it. All groups are 1 in or under. I have lots of white box Winchester and GI ball so thats what I shoot. I think you will be very pleased with the rifle. My only compliant is that the bolt handle is not welded to the bolt. I inadvertantly took it apart and had great difficulty getting it back together.

Posts: 375 | Location: College Station, Tx | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cowboy are you shooting the cz 527 ??

I have one of those in a .22 Hornet and it shoots great with nothing done to it as well.

one of us
Picture of cowboy77845
posted Hide Post
Yes. The HB with the laminated stock. I had ordered a kevlar one but it came in with a cracked boogered up area near the rear sling swivel. I figured I did not want something that might break that easily. The factory group on the one I got was under 1/2 inch. It was much better than the broken one. Lucky me.

Posts: 375 | Location: College Station, Tx | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cowboy77845
posted Hide Post
Hi PC. I did not know thety had a 550 in 22-250. All I've seen is 527. I have a FS 550, never thought to ask about a 550 in a varmint caliber. I saw the write up on the 527 in "Shooting Times" about the faster twist and I ordered one. So I did not answer ur question very well. I do not have a 550. That"550" must have gotten caught in my bifocals. [Big Grin]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cowboy they are an impressive rig for sure (550 HB 22/250), maybe it's best it did get caught in your bifocals as it could cost you more $$ if it does not [Wink]

Your lucky in the states you get the chance at all the models cz offer. Winchester Australia is the importer of CZ's here and in there wisdom thye import practically the vanilla calibres only and not many of the various models such as Full Stocks, laminates etc.

Maybe there scared the cz's will outsell the winchesters, there a better product for sure.

one of us
Picture of cowboy77845
posted Hide Post
PC. The store here has a CZ 22-250 HB with a laminated stock with little vents in the upper potion of the stock. I looked at the factory tgt. Little bitty group. I thought it was a 527. It may be a 550 instead and I did not notice the difference. Around here 223 is much cheaper to shoot if you do not reload. I did not notice anything extra special about it, what did I miss?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cowboy the 527 action is there "mini mauser" wgile the 550 is there standard length mauser action. They also have the 550 Magnum which is a full blown magnum mauser action. I reckon the cz's are a real quality rugged product and from what more knowledgable people say they take a lot of beating.

[ 06-24-2003, 10:01: Message edited by: PC ]

posted Hide Post
I have a friend who owns the 550 22-250. He bought it shortly after I bought my 527 .223. Both these rifles are highly recommended to anyone in or interested in varmint hunting. I read an article in Shooting times about the 527 and deciced to buy one. My first groups were around .600 with factory loads. Since then I'm down to .250 to .500. I don't own a chrony but I should be getting close to 3600 out of my 40 gr. V-max(it likes those bestwith h-322). My friend doesn't reload for his 550 but he has yet to get a group over 1 inch with factory fodder. I highly recommend these rifles.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm shooting a CZ 452 Varmint in .22 lr and I see more CZs in my future. I bought it because I wanted to duplicate the feel of my Mauser sporters in .22 lr for cheap quiet offhand practice.

I got that. I also got target accuracy.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CZ know how to market there guns. There cheaper at the outset but once you have one you need to buy several more !!

I have three, with another on the way and I tell you there will be more before I am finished [Smile]

one of us
posted Hide Post
The more I see of the CZ the more I like it. The model 527 mini mauser is quite well made.
I like the European style stock. It's not seen that often here in N. America. All their models seem to be well thought out. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote