Find
Notify
Tools

204 Ruger Finally shooting
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi Guys:

Well I FINALLY found a load that my Model 700 VLSSTH likes. I was getting sub MOA with Hornady factory fodder, my rifle preferred the 40 grain Vmax over the 32. I was getting in the low 9's for five shots, consistently. That's ok but not great. The sorry part was that I was hanloading and not being able to beat that load.

I went up and down the powder scale with H4895 and AA2520 with the 32 grain Vmax, and 40 grain Berger. I had one load that shot in the high 6's with AA2520 with the 32 grain Vmax, But for the most part they all shot in the 9's to 1.5 inches.

I was reading an article in the Augusts 05 Handloader, It was called priming, about how not only accuracy can suffer from a magnum primer but velocity, they were talking about pistols but it made sence. There is also some good reading in the hanloading section on this site about using different primes. I swiched my primers from CCI 450 mag primers, to Federal 205M match primers. You are getting an increase of about 20% in pressure with a mag primer, and since most of my loads were near max or a hair over it was probably affecting accuracy.

The Bullet I really wanted to try was the Berger 35 grain match. I couldn't find them anywhere in the USA. Thanks to Varmint Guy who sent me some bullets to try, and his favorite recipe for the 204 and the Bergers.

I decided to change a few things in my hanloading procedure for the 204. First I backed off on my trimmed cases to 1.850 I believe I was a bit shorter than this. Then I seated the precious 35 grain Bergers closer to the lands OAL 2.327 ... just fits in the magazine. Then I went with H4895 again in two grain increments. Started at (27.8) (28) and (28.2)

The first three shots went into .476, the second(4) aka 28 grains went in .495... three in one hole and 28.2 (3) shots in .611 I would of shot 5 shot groups but I only have 10 bullets left and still want to try AA2520 with the new primers and changes.

I have to go back and verify that 28 grain H4895 load, but from past experience when you get three different powder charges shooting sub .5 MOA or close to it, it should shoot cconsistently.

Regards... Jim P.

The Hunters Hut
Firearms Sales & Service PAHunter/ The Head Hunter
DRSS,NRA,SCI,NAHC
www.huntershut1.com

Posts: 1015 | Location: PA | Registered: 08 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim, When switching to "magnum primers" vs. regular primers, expect a change about equal to 1-2 grains of powder.......not the "20% change you refer too". As far as small rifle primers go, the Federal 205 MATCH primers have been cosistent performers for years!!! And I will have to say here that CCI BR-4's have been pretty darn good also! Go back and try the 2520 loads again and also the 4895's and report back! Those two powders seem to be the cat's meow with the .204(and I also have some appreciation for A 2230 in that case!!) It's all in what your rifle and YOU seem to agree upon!!! Let us know what you find out!! GHD PS: As far as "justs fits the magazine".....I'm not interested in that figure!!! What is it 15/1000 off the lands!!!??? I can stick them in one at a time!!! And I'll bet if you find that number it's going to be about 2.390!!!

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Be sure to try the Sierra 32 and 39 grainers when you get a chance .

Lots of powders out there that should work well in the .204 . Ramshot TAC is doing nicely for me , and being a ball powder , it runs thru a measure like water .

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
PAHunter, I'd look into a different powder like RE10x, Benchmark, & AA2015. These are the powders Sierra found to be the most accurate with their bullets. Can't find the data they sent me, but I remember 2015 was the accuracy load for the 39BK, followed by RE10x, I believe. Give em a call, 1-800-223-8799. Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi GD:

The 20% I was talking about was in pressure, that is what I read in that article, now for small bore rifle primers it may be less, can't believe everything you read.

I am going to try my last 10 bullets with AA2520...

News Break.... Midway HAS Berger 35 Grain and Sierra 32 grain Blitz Kings....

Regards... Jim P.

The Hunters Hut
DRSS,NRA,SCI,NAHC
www.huntershut1.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Guys:

Went out to te range again today, it was supposed to rain all day today so I got out of most of my honeydoos.. Smiler

I went back with the last of my 35 grain Berger bullets, and AA2520.... Long story short only one load shot near half inch MOA and that was 28.8 grains of AA2520 coming in at .542 for three shots, I am currently out of bullets until my 35 grain Bergers come in.

My 25 year old Remmie 700 Hvy Barrel 22-250 was jumping out of the gun safe because I was spending so much time with the 204. So I took Old Betsy out of moth balls and ran a few rounds through her. I warmed up with some factory ammo, Remmie 50 grain Vmax's, shot in 1.3 inches five shots. I put them away and brought out my old handloads. Bam five shots in .295 using Win cases, CCI 450 Mag Primers, H380 @ 39.3 grains.. when something works ya just leave it alone. The load development date on this load is 3/10/1983.. the ammo wasn't that old, that is when I developed the load.

I still have to verify the H4895 load for five shot groups with the 35 grain Bergers.

Regards.... Jim P.

I haven't been putting alot of rounds through this rifle over the past few years.I have the CZ 17 HMR & the new Remmie 204 to play with.

The Hunters Hut
DRSS,NRA,SCI,NAHC
www.huntershut1.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
PA Hunter, Through with the testing phases for the .204's!! 27.5 grains of Accurrate 2520 and the 39 grain Sierras, Federal 205 Matchs, C.O.L. of 2.392(till the throat eats out which it hasn't done so far in 993 rounds!!!!)(checked with a Bore Scope!!) will get the nod for groundhogs in the Savage VLP! The Model 7 seems to like the 28.3 grains of Accurate 2230 and the 32 grain VMAX's. (3980fps out of a 20" barrel ought to work for a carry rifle that won't see much use past 250 yards!!) How well does the 27.5 grain A 2520 perform?? I missed a damn groundhog 3 times(nothing but a head to shoot at!!!)(476 yards!!!) yesterday with the 6mm VLS!! When he popped back up I switched rifles!! Now it's the .204 Savage!! He DIED courtesy of the 39 grain SIERRA up side his head!! And that groundhog was just one of many who has fallen victim to the .204!! And guess what???? I saw the "death spray" or the "red mist" exit his noggin!!! I also shot a couple with the Model 7 using the 32 grain VMAXs at closer ranges(150 and 205) and the 39 grainers being pushed out of the longer barrels are the real deal!!! I just cancelled my MID SOUTH order for 500 of the 32 grain Sierras!!! The 39 grainers will get the nod!!(I got 500 of them back in April!!!) If you intend to stick wiht the 4895, go to 28.0-28.3 grains and the 32 grainers!!! Will probably turn some heads if you have witnesses to your shooting over the chronograph!!! 28.5 ad 28.7 will go boom!!! And probably will shoot a decent group!!! BRASS LIFE WILL SUCK!!!! BTDT!!! GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PaHunter: I just got home from a last minute call to the coast to do a robbery suppression detail in Seattle. I have been gone since the fourth.
I returned late last night via Kalispell, Montana and stopped at the Ronan, Montana sport shop called Ronan Sports. They had lots of Berger bullets in stock in lots of calibers including 20 caliber! But alas they were out of the 35 grain Bergers as well! They had 30's and 40's though if anyone else is interested in those.
By the way - if I might digress? They had the Vihta Vourhi powders there on the shelves in the two pound sizes and they were asking $62.99 for two pounds! I only use the Vihta Vourhi in a couple of Rifles but if this was correctly priced I will certainly switch to another powder for them. The last time I bought the Vihta Vourhi N133 it was $35.99 for two pounds! I wanted to ask them if that powder was mismarked but got off on a 221 Fireball Rifle tangent they had and forgot about the powder pricing issue! Anyone know if that was correctly priced?
Anyway I am happy that your Rifle is perking up some for you! Lets keep after it and I hope the other Berger 35's get to you soon! I feel like a piker not sending you anymore 35 Bergers but I looked everywhere while I was out on the coast with no luck - and I am right today loading the last of the ones I have for my XR-100 204. If I had more time before my upcoming Prairie Dog Hunt I would try the Sierra 32's in this XR-100 and see if I can come up with a good enough load for that Hunt. I just don't have the time to develop another load before Safari departure!
Anyway if you are shooting .295" groups with one of your Varminters then its not your shooting in question - its the load/Rifle combo (in 204) that is the center of concern. Half minute groups in a Varminter can kill a lot of Varmints very easily!
Have you tried the Sierra 32's as yet?
More later
Keep after it!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Gd & VG:

VG, I left a post that Midway has the Berger 35 grainers and the Sierra 32 grain Blitz Kings, in stock ....and I thank you for sharing your stash with me. If you get stuck let me know I will gladly return the favor.

Like I said, the AA2520 was shooting almost .500 groups with the B 35's but the 4895 was shooting better. I am waiting for the Sierra 32 gr Blitz Kings to arrive, I tried the 32 Vmax, but it was barely sub MOA. there are 39 grain Sierras available but I want to try the 32 grainers first. I probably could tweak the 4895 load a bit and get it to the low 4's or high 3's with the B-35's.... my rifle is starting to shoot better with more rounds going through it.

GD & VG.... Thanks for all your help... You guys are varmint killing machines... Smiler

Regards... Jim P.

The Hunters Hut
DRSS,NRA,SCI,NAHC
www.huntershut1.com