.204 vs .243?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jarrod:
quote:

As to barrel life the 22-250 and 243 will chew up barrels.

I dont know about the 22-250 cause I've never used one, but the 243 chewing up barrels what kind of stuff you been smoking??

I have to agree.

I have a 6mm Rem built in the late 50's on a Rem '03-A3 action. I have no idea of the barrel manufacturer, but it cost plenty to have made. My Dad has put 1000's of rounds through it and he gave it to me and I have put several 1000, and it still will put 5, 70-75g bullets (from various manufacturers, no less) into one ragged hole at 100 yards.

I don’t hand load hot as it shoots better about 3-5g under max depending on bullet. I do have the bullets just touch the rifling. I am still waiting for the barrel to get “shot out.â€

DON’T overheat ANY rifle and it will live much longer.
Go with the .243. 6mm’s are awesome on varmints…

Go to http://www.RMVH.com and see for youself…
(click on "scenes")

JUST A TYPICAL WHITE GUY BITTERLY CLINGING TO GUNS AND RELIGION

Definition of HOPLOPHOBIA

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
hay guys i have the rx100 204. shot only 1 yote with it.love the gun.truth be known i dont get it out much for yotes.i have to much fun proving alot of folks wrong with the 17hmr.killed 7 with it.droped every one of them in there tracks.some of these where 175yd shoots.have killed upwards 200 racoons with it.

one of us
Picture of dogcatcher223
posted Hide Post
If you want the pelts, then a 204 is probably better. If you want to hit them with authority, then get a 243 and load it with 55's.

Yeah, the 204 will shoot downtown, but so will a 243 with 55's.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Only 2 cartridges for Yotes, the 22-250, and the .243, with the .243 the perfect round

Posts: 1547 | Location: Lafayette, Louisiana | Registered: 18 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Williamhill: I have killed two Coyotes with my 17 HMR and both were one shot 100 yard kills! I had my 17 HMR along on a just yesterday concluded Deer/Varmint Hunt in Montana. Alas our Hunt was cut a bit short but the 17 HMR accounted for another big bunch of dead Prairie Dogs and some other Varmints! I did not get another chance to bag a Coyote with it on this trip but won't hesitate to shoot them out to 125 yards or so!
Long live the 17 HMR!
Long live the 204!
The 243 has already lived a long time - but continued success to it also!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Alreet eric, here in england the closest we have to your yote's is the Red Fox (Vulpes Vulpes) and although few people have .204 in this country the .243 is the favoured caliber all round. A 70 grain hollow point is absolutely deadly on charlie through the .243 at ranges anything up to 400 yds. I dont know much about the .204 so cannot comment, but in my eyes the .243 is a formidable weapon, a real Fox stiffner. We also use this caliber extensively on other small predators like cats, which as you can probabnly imagine they do not like one bit! Smiler. Over here you cannot use anything smaller than the .243 for taking our 5 main species of deer which are Roe, Red, Sika, Muntjac and Chineese water deer, therfore it has to be a very versatile caliber and a must in every hunters armoury. Regards Boppa J

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the two cals are that different that it warrants owning both !! I think a pair of varmint guns in .243 win and .204 would be ideal.

I own a .243 rem 700 Heavy barrel and if I could only own one it would be the .243.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ben589
posted Hide Post
I've been contemplating a .243, or possibly a 22-250 for coyotes/bobcat, etc.

But I already have a .300 win mag, and I've killed 3 coyotes with it just last week alone.

Here's a picture of me, my .300, and a coyote.

http://www.alaweb.com/~crowell/pics/coyote02.jpg

So far, I haven't had any problems with "wounding" a coyote with that .300 mag, and they all seem to go down like they've just been hit with a wrecking ball.

Heck, I can't even find anyone around here that deals in pelts or even knows of anyone that might be, so that's not such an issue.

I'm primarily looking for a smaller caliber/lighter gun for bobcat hunting and I'm considering a handi-rifle in either .223, 22-250, or .243.

I don't mind shooting coyotes with a .300, but I'm just scared lately about what it might do to a bobcat.

======================================
Cleachdadh mi fo m' féileadh dé tha an m' osan.

Posts: 2172 | Location: Highlands of South Alabama, USA | Registered: 28 October 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of eriklupust
posted Hide Post
i know this started as a debate on 243 vs 204 but i,ve already bought a 243 (first serious rifle rem 700 varm) took it to sd on pheasant trip for dogs in the morning. anyhoo, i want to reload for it w/58g v-max against groundhogs

Posts: 21 | Location: bc michigan | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote