Tools

Nre Varmit Rifle?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted
What do you suggest for a Varmit rifle?

Top dollar would be about 2K...

This is excluding scope and excessories...I'd probably spend about 1K on the scope and bases..

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A savage with a good leupold mil dot scope should set you up for around 1000. They are very accurate and priced right.

Posts: 19588 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

What do you suggest for a Varmit rifle?...

Hey Gatehouse, What kind of Varmints do you have in mind? Will you be walking a good bit or sitting and spotting? What kind of distance do you anticipate?

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm assuming you want a factory gun and not one you would have a gunsmith build for you. In that case, if I had that kind of money to drop I would love to have a Cooper Varmint Extreme.

Cooper Firearms

Not sure what caliber you are looking for, but if you plan to go long range (400+), I go with a 243 or bigger (6.5x284 would be my preference). Cooper guarantees 1/2" 3-shot groups at 100yds with handloads and provides the test target with the gun. Not many manufactures I know of that say that. As for a scope, I'm really happy with my Nikons and Leupolds, but if you're just itching to drop the cash, I'm sure some of the German optic companies will more that fit the bill.

Posts: 445 | Location: Connellsville, PA | Registered: 25 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gatehouse: I would opt for a factory Remington 40XB-KS Rifle in 6mm Remington Bench Rest caliber. I would choose the single shot, 2 ounce trigger model with the 27 1/4" barrel. Then I would add a Leupold 8.5x25x40mm (used) scope with Duplex reticle and mount it with Leupold medium rings and Leupold one piece bases!
Then I would go Colony Varmint Hunting til I was blue in the face!
Aaaahhhh!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd find a short Rem 700 .473 bolt, toss the barrel and stock, get the action trued up and rebarreled with a good stainless barrel,all done up by a good 'smith.Put a Shilen or Jewel trigger in it.Get yourself a MacMillan or other good 'glass stock in the pattern of your choice and put 'er all together.Cartridge choices I'd leave up to you,22-250,Swift,243 or some kinda wildcat etc..whatever trips your trigger.Top it off with a Leupold 6.5-20X in Dual Dovetails and your set.

Posts: 588 | Location: Sherwood Park,Alberta,Canada | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Check out Cooper Arms, Stevensville, MT. 406-777-0373.

Bench rest quality varmint rifles w/ an unbelievable array of calibers.

www.cooperfirearms.com

one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. I just received an email regarding a 22-250AI. (Remington) I don't know anything else right now about the rifle.

I'm only interested in 22 calibers right now. .223, 22-250, tht sort of thing.

I'll look at the Cooper Arms rifles, too!

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been shooting a Cooper custom classic in 22-250 this spring. It consistently shoots into the mid .3's with 50 gr v-maxes, ballistic tips, or blitzkings. Initial testing with JLK 52 gr. LD's produced 3 shot groups in the mid .2's and a 481 yd group of 1.74 off a bipod. The factory test target is a 3 shot .084, and my best 3 shot is a .068 at 100. My wife thinks I'm nuts, but I think it was money very well spent! HS Precision also offers a .5" accuracy guarantee.

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote