Notify
Tools

Red filter for spotlight???
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted
Hi everyone,
I mostly hunt pigs at night and every spotlight I bought from the States comes with a red filter.

It's true that game doesn't spook when turning on the red light ?

I always took the red filters away thinking it will be the same and that a bright light will be better but maybe I am missing something...

Thanks for any advice.

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
Hi Lorenzo:
I hunt mostly coyotes, sometimes bobcat at night. The red filter doesn't spook them as much as a brighter white light. In fact, when scanning, try holding the light high and try to catch the eyes in the halo only until ready to shoot, then lower beam to center of game. I've never hunted hogs at night, so not sure how light affects them, but would suspect the same as coyotes. Doubt that the pigs eyes will shine as much as a coyote, but not sure???

Regards,
hm

Posts: 931 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
HM,
Thanks for your answer, it's a pity but pigs eyes doesn´t shine at night Frowner

when you look at pigs with a spotlight it seems they "soak" all the light !!! They really don't are easy animals to see with a spotlight !!

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks for your answer, it's a pity but pigs eyes doesn´t shine at night

That would make it a bit more difficult. Their eyes may not be as sensitive to light, therefore the red lense may not be as much benefit as on predators.

How do they react when you light them up?

We have some hogs where I night hunt predators, but can't say as I have ever put a light on one. Will have to check them out next time I see one after dark.

Regards,
hm

one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo:

There is a member on Predator Masters Forum that does a lot of hog hunting, day and night.

Check out this link; I'm sure he would be glad to share his experience w/red lenses at night.

Hog Hunting

Regards,
hm

One of Us
Picture of Claret_Dabbler
posted Hide Post
I have not lamped pigs at night, but I have shot large numbers of foxes this way.

The red filter is quite good, but I feel it reduces visibility by an excessive amount. The best filter in my experience is an amber one. A blue filter also works quite well, but I have not used one much.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get you....

Posts: 1484 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Lorenzo, the guys are right about the hogs eyes not showing up at night. They are really tough with a white light and alomst invisible with a red. I do all of my hunting now, predator and hog with a white light. We have a rheostat that controls the intensity of the light. We havent noticed a difference in animals spooking at the white light. Just use something around 1/2 million CP or less. Hope that helps. Jeff Thomason
www.predatorpursuit.com