Find
Notify
Tools

Snow In Montana!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What next???
It literally snowed yesterday here in SW Montana. Not here on the valley floor at 5,300 feet but in the peaks to the south of me that range to 10,961' in elevation!
The VarmintFamily had been invited to dinner by some Varmint/Big Game Hunting friends 40 miles south and as we drove to dinner I could not believe my eyes! The peaks were covered with fresh snow down at least 800' from the peak tops!
I mean for Petes Sake it was July 26th! The dinner hosts had seen the snow also and it had fallen during the night of the 25th/26th. This is unusual to say the least!
I have been astounded by the weather around here all last fall/winter and now this spring/summer. With first the lack of snow and more wind than normal all fall and winter then the incessant wind and lack of spring rains. Followed quickly by more rain than normal this late spring and early summer!
Mother Nature has not been in her norms to say the least for the last 8 months around here!
We need all the moisture we can get here in SW Montana so I should be happy that some is falling even if it is snow!
I did see the first Fox in many months on the drive south last evening. It was perched atop a hay stack sleeping. The Fox around here had been hit really hard by the mange disease and the vast majority had frozen to death during the winter. I was happy to see this one and I hope they can get re-established here in SW Montana ASAP. I won't be Hunting them around here for several years I am sure. I won't Hunt them til they get back to their previous high populations.
There are lots of other Varmints to keep me busy though!
Snow! Sheesh!
What next - a Tsunami?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was living in bozeman a while back and it started snowing in the middle of the day, in town, in july. Lasted about 20 minutes and then it was warm and sunny again. BTW, FU 2 VG.

one of us
posted Hide Post
furhore: Eat Elk pellets and die mofo!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I tend to enjoy early snowfalls especially for small critters. We usually have snow on the ground the first of November, sometimes earlier. I like hunting rabbit, and those suckers can't hide the tracks they make in the snow. Also, their colors haven't changed yet. Birds like grouse tend to hold their position in trees longer giving you closer shots. Typical Canadian, huh? Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote