THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Loads for 60gr Vmax and .22-250

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Loads for 60gr Vmax and .22-250
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
just picked up a box of 60gr vmax bullets to try out in my 22-250. Has anyone tried these? IF so, what load did you use and how did it turn out? Previously, i have gotten great accuracy out of 55gr Sierra Blitzkings pushed by 35.5grs of IMR4895, CCI BR-2 primer, WIN cases. Everything trimmed to minimum, neck turned cases, and necksized. I am seeking something to reachout and touch the long ones. While the 60gr isn't a large jump over the 55gr BK's, it's a start. I had some question about the 60's being stabilized in a 1-14" twist, however, after consulting with a few people, they have gotten good accuracy out of the same bullet in the same twist. Oh yeah, the rifle is a 700 VLS.
Thanks,
Simon Rucker

Ruck

Posts: 203 | Location: Southwestern, va | Registered: 30 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the 55gr Sierra is working well, you won't notice any improvement from the 60gr VMax.

I've shot the 60grainers and I went back to 55gr bullets. The 55gr goes with the 22-250 like pretzels with beer.

What do you mean "to reachout and touch the long ones?"

Posts: 128 | Location: Rio Arriba County, NM | Registered: 27 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sorry for not explaining any better. I just want a bullet that has some oomph when it hits at 400 yards. I would also guess that there would not be that much of an increase in performance from just upping the bullet weight to 60grs. Thanks
Ruck

Posts: 203 | Location: Southwestern, va | Registered: 30 October 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Ruck:

You want some EXPLOSIONS at 400 yds, try a sleeper and inexpensive bullet: A Winchester 46 grain Hollow Point. It has a very large hollow area, it is very accurate and is also cheap! I buy about 2000 every spring from Midway or Cabelas for about $135.00 or so

Winchester uses them in their 40 bullet pack of 22/250 they sell at walmart. They claim an MV of 4000 plus in a 22/250. I am sure they are using W 760 powder or so, but that would be a cheap way to test them out. I think you will see what I am talking about. They aren't trendy or spendy. But they darn sure work on prairie dog, groundhog, and ground squirrel type critters. They turn ground squirrels basically inside out when they hit. I know, I have wasted 400 to 500 of them in an afternoon several times.

Cheers and Happy New Year

Posts: 70 | Location: Oregon USA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote