THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Re: I plan to keep the pelt so . . .

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: I plan to keep the pelt so . . .
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted
Louis- At higher MVs, it's easier to prevent an exit (but there are never any guarantees!). But within the MV range you mention, you still have some excellent and viable options.

FMJs are certainly not the way to go, and even these can cause gaping exits. If the shot impacts bone such as the shoulder, you can count on secondary bone fragments contributing to a nasty exit. Put the FMJ through the ribs and through the lungs and you can wind up with a long, arduous tracking job.

At the velocity level you are working at, I'd opt for a slightly tougher projectile such as the Sierra 55 grain GameKing spitzer. It will expand sufficiently and will exit, but the damage to the pelt should be minimal. (Quarter-sized exits are the norm with 2900 fps MV and shots out to 200 yards)

The other option I'd recommend is the 50 grain Hornady SX with the 50 grain Sierra Blitz as my next choice. If you can put the bullet through one of both shoulders of a coyote, you generally will not get an exit. Both bullets you mention are constructed more stoutly to withstand high initla velocities. The SX and Blitz are much more fragile and are best limited to MVs of no more than 34-3500 fps.

With the SX and Blitz, however, I will mention that if you slip a bullet between ribs and the projectile's path is one of minimal resistance, you could easily be looking at a baseball-sized exit.

Posts: 9397 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
40 grain Nosler BT or 50 grain Hornady Vmax.

which do I want to use in my 222?

I want to stop the yote, but do not want much of an exit hole IF any!

I am probably pushing both about 2900-3000 fps.

TIA

Posts: 4255 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote