Find
Notify
Tools

Nikon Scopes
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted
As I am getting older and my eyes are getting worse, I am replacing (cheaper) scopes I have used for many years with higher quality ones.

A couple of weeks ago I got a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14 mil dot and put it on my 223 AR-15. I sighted it in and was very impressed. Two other pd guys were in the shop that day and shot it and really liked it also. I could have sold it for more than I paid for it to one of them.

I just got a Nikon 6-18 BDC today from my gunsmith buddy. It was supposed to go on a customer gun but I kept my mouth shut about him screwing around on his wife so he will have to order another one. I think I will really like this one also. I am already used to the circles as I have a Burris with the circle in the center. This new scope is going on a 22/6mm.

If you are looking for a quality scope at a good price, don't overlook Nikons.

Jim

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just bought a Nikon Monarch 6.5-20x44 Nikoplex for my .223 and I love it. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet but I'm very impressed with the quailty of this glass.

Posts: 192 | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
I have had Monarch's on two of my rifles for several years now. You can't beat them for the money.

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I picked up a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40 mildot scope about a year ago and have been very impressed by the quality of the optics as well as the price.

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
I've been a big fan of Nikon optics for a good while, and for the $$, they are indeed the best value out there. And for those who may not be aware of this, Nikon is revamping the Monarch lineup, and you can find huge discounts as dealers are closing out the old stock. I recently saw a 3-9x40 for $218.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9397 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktail53
posted Hide Post
I put the Buckmaster 4.5x14x40 side focus on my .204. What a great scope!

The side focus feature is much easier to use than any objective bell focusing system, I've seen yet.

I've always been a Leupold man, but pricing drove me to try the Nikon product and I am very impressed.
BT

Elk, it's what's for dinner..

Posts: 267 | Location: So. Oregon | Registered: 11 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been hunting with Nikon travelite 9x25 binoculars.
http://www.swfa.com/pc-6880-657-nikon-9x25-travelite-v-binocular.aspx

At $80 and 9 ounces, they fit in my shirt pocket and are not so valuable that I have to fuss over them.

I am so impressed, I want to get more Nikon products.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the nikon buckmaster scopes have real high return rate,most shops near me say they are junk. the monarch is one of the best on market.

Posts: 181 | Location: virginia,usa | Registered: 07 January 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of 22win
posted Hide Post
My neighbors and I have found the Buckmaster scopes are not very clear at low light. I have a 4.5x-14x and a 6x-18x. They are great when varmint hunting during the day, but when deer hunting in low light they aren't that great. Other than that, I think they are a good buy for the price.

Posts: 48 | Location: Northcentral PA | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
22win-If they are not "clear" at low light, something is amiss. I have a number of Nikon scopes -- from pre-Monarchs to BuckMasters to current-production Monarchs -- and have nothing but praise for them all. My favorite of the BMs is the pre-05 4.5-14x40 AO, a scope that delivers excellent resolution, image clarity, edge-to-edge sharpness and contrast (even in the shadows) when the light gets low. Current models are even better as the light transmission has been improved.

My guess is that the scope -- whether the reticle or the scope itself or even a combination thereof -- is not focused properly, a situation exaggerated in low light. If not that, then the scopes need a return trip to the factory.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9397 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktail53
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I find that hard to believe, too.

92% light transmission is claimed by Nikon.

This is the best money saving site I've found for this scope. BT

http://theopticzone.com/detail.aspx?ID=3610

Elk, it's what's for dinner..

Posts: 267 | Location: So. Oregon | Registered: 11 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the comments, guys. Keep 'em coming.

If there is going to be any problems with them I believe I will find out as both will be used quite a bit, although on low recoil rifles.

Jim

one of us
Picture of Slatts
posted Hide Post
I've also been looking hard at the Nikon Monarch UCC line which is being discontinued. The prices seem great at the moment.

I am going to mount it on a Rem 700 VSSF in 204 Ruger. A couple of questions for the experience varmint hunters here:

Magnification: 5.5-16 or 6-20? 16x on the upper end seems more than adequate to me. Does anyone think that 20X provides enough benefit for the extra length and weight?

Reticle: BDC intrigues me but does it really help shooting accuracy at distance. Better to just go with the Nikoplex or fine crosshair?

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 468 | Location: Tejas | Registered: 03 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
I've had/have both, and the 6.5-20x is superior to the 5.5-16x. It's difficult to explain since one would assume components are quite similar, but the 5.5-16x is probably the weakest link in the entire Monarch lineup. With that being said, it's still a very good performer.

As to crosshairs, it's a matter of personal preference, but I do prefer the Nikoplex.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had a Buckmaster 4.5x14 for the past five years and have found it to be an excellent scope. I'm going to be needing another scope soon and it may well wind up being another Nikon.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
craigster-Mine are the older (AO) 4.5-14xs, and I actually prefer them over the newer side-focus models. The FOV is better in the older version. I bought a new side focus 4.5-14x w/ mil-dot recently and quickly sold it...

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bobby,

Thanks for the tip. That's what mine is. Might just have to go a different route.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
There are still some of the pre-05 models out there. Also, since the Monarch line is being revamped, there are some terrific savings to be had. I recently saw a 3-9x40 for $218.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a Nikon Buckmasters 4.4-14x40 side focus mildot last year. Stuck it it on my .243 1500 varmint howa rifle. Best economy priced scope I've ever owned. Absolutely delighted with it.

the nut behind the butt

Posts: 135 | Location: Somerset | Registered: 15 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BoCash3
posted Hide Post
To add to the soup:

I am now running exactly 3 Buckmaster 4.5-14x40 and 3, 6-18x40 on a total of 6 rifles in calibers like: .22 Hornet, .221 FB, .223, .243, .22 Magnum and another .22 Hornet.

Some are the older version, about 3 are the newer "side focus" models............. a blessing to have that feature as opposed to the old AO style.

The only one I have not tried is the one with BDC. I came within a second of ordering one but ended up ordering a more familiar one with standard duplex on my last one. I would love to see a "picture" of what that view looks like before I order my next one...........soon. I tried to get into the Nikon web site and my "dial up" was so slow loading their music and movies that I gave up in disgust.

Y'all take care............. "Bo"

Thank goodness my grandfather put me in the woods as a child !

www.TableRockAngler.com

Posts: 113 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 20 November 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of 22win
posted Hide Post
Bobby T- My scopes are good on the lower powers but on higher powers in low light situations they are a little unclear. This is looking for bucks at long ranges. Back off the power and I think they work fine. If the rack is big enough we wouldn't need the high powers, but here in PA we have a three point rule. Big Grin
I would definitely buy another Nikon.

Posts: 48 | Location: Northcentral PA | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BoCash3:
To add to the soup:

....The only one I have not tried is the one with BDC. I came within a second of ordering one but ended up ordering a more familiar one with standard duplex on my last one. I would love to see a "picture" of what that view looks like before I order my next one...........soon. I tried to get into the Nikon web site and my "dial up" was so slow loading their music and movies that I gave up in disgust.

Well, not sure if this is going to work out for you but here goes. Try this and then click on the BDC Reticle Manual for Download on the right side. The first page of the manual has the BDC reticle. Looked all over the site and couldn't find a link that would work. Maybe someone else can do it.

In the "music and movies" they show the BDC on an elk, but I here ya about dial up. It could take a while to get there.

Jim

one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Slatts:
I've also been looking hard at the Nikon Monarch UCC line which is being discontinued. The prices seem great at the moment.

I am going to mount it on a Rem 700 VSSF in 204 Ruger. A couple of questions for the experience varmint hunters here:

Magnification: 5.5-16 or 6-20? 16x on the upper end seems more than adequate to me. Does anyone think that 20X provides enough benefit for the extra length and weight?

I think the varmints you are hunting and the situation has a bearing on it. If you are going to use it more for pds from a bench than you can possibly justify the extra power. If you are going to be doing "walk abouts" and some predator hunting, I would go with the 5.5-16.

quote:
Reticle: BDC intrigues me but does it really help shooting accuracy at distance. Better to just go with the Nikoplex or fine crosshair?

Thanks in advance.

There was a thread a few weeks (?) ago where the need for a mil-dot (or bdc) was discussed. I let it pass at the time, but I wanted to mention that I am slowly replacing all of my scopes on pd/varmint rifles with mil-dot or BDC scopes. For distances less than 600 yds I would rather use the reticle than the knobs. On the other hand, if I owned a range finder, (in pd shooting situations) I would range the mound, crank the knob and shoot, and would not see as much of a need for the mil-dot. In short, I feel the BDC/mil-dot helps me. I can't wait to work with the 6-18 BDC I just got. It has convertable turrets also.

Jim

One of Us
Picture of BoCash3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pdhntr1:
quote:
Originally posted by BoCash3:
To add to the soup:

....The only one I have not tried is the one with BDC. I came within a second of ordering one but ended up ordering a more familiar one with standard duplex on my last one. I would love to see a "picture" of what that view looks like before I order my next one...........soon. I tried to get into the Nikon web site and my "dial up" was so slow loading their music and movies that I gave up in disgust.

Well, not sure if this is going to work out for you but here goes. Try this and then click on the BDC Reticle Manual for Download

Jim

Jim, thanks a bundle. I just closed the deal on a Remington .222 varmit special 700 and will be looking for my 7th Buckmaster. This one will be a 6-18x. I am patiently waiting for the Nikon "movie" to open, but I have a feeling I will get the BDC on this one.

THANKS and take care, "Bo"

Thank goodness my grandfather put me in the woods as a child !

www.TableRockAngler.com

Posts: 113 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 20 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of squeeze
posted Hide Post
I have to chime in on the Nikon Monarch
5.5-16.5x. I have one, and could not agree more.
It is the poorest excuse for a Nikon, that I
have looked through. I have on Buckmaster SF
6-18x BDC, and it is much brighter, and even a
bit clearer, than my Monarch 5-5-16.5x I am
glad to hear that this particular version of the
Monarch is the weakest in the Monarch line. Jon
at The Optic Zone, and I have always disagreed
on the quality of Monarchs, after I purchased
this one from him, on his Nikon recommendation.
So I just happened to buy the "Ugly Sister"
version of this line stir Tomorrow the
Big Brown Truck is delivering another Nikon
Buckmaster 6-18x SF, from The Optic Zone.
It is hard for me to spend the money for a
Monarch, when I look though a Buckmaster,
and my Monarch 5.5-16.5x, side by side. If
Bushnell would get off their butts, and offer
SF on all of there 4200/3200 line, I could
go back to buying Bushnell, which I still
prefer over Nikon.

Squeeze

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Posts: 201 | Location: Wis | Registered: 05 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Slatts
posted Hide Post
After reading this post and searching on Nikon on these forums, I was pleased to see the magnitude of positive praise and lack of negativity on the Nikons. Years ago, I had a 3-9x40mm Buckmaster on a .270. I remember that they optics were very clear and bright. Then, I picked up a VX-III for a 300WM to go to Alaska a few years ago and when I returned put it on the .270 and sold the Buckmaster.

Anyways, seemed like a good time to give Nikon another look. So, I just sprung for a Monarch UCC 6-20x44m with the BDC reticle. Prices are really good on these at the moment. I can't wait to get it mounted on the Rem 700 and see the little .204 inch holes in the paper this weekend.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Although scope are mostly made in just three factories, there are plenty of brands and marketing schemes.

I have tried to sort out the hierarchy of cost for a similarly featured scope, but have not finished:
1) Schmitdt & Bender $2.8k [Germany]
2) US Optics $2.2k [USA]
Ziess $2.2k [ German Zies]
Swarovski $2.2k [Europe]
Kales $2k [Austria]
Leupold $1.4k [USA]
Nightforce $1.4k [USA]
IOR $1.2k [Romania/ Germany]
Zeiss $900 [USA factory]
Redfield $800 [Asia]
Nikon $800 [Asia]
Burris $750 [USA]
Bushnell $450 [Asia]
Sightron $400 [Asia]
Weaver $330 [Asia]
Super Sniper $300 [Asia]
Barska $250 [Asia]
Simmons $170 [Asia]
BSA $120 [Asia]
Famous Maker $100 [Asia]
Shepherd?
Tasco?
PineRidge?
Colt?
Thompson Centerfire?
Mueller?
Hakko?
Rapid Reticle?
NCSTAR
Nighteater?
Optronics?
Swift?
Yukon?

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had quite a few Nikon monarchs over the years including the 3.5-10,6-20, and 5.5-16. I found the 5.5-16 the equal of the other monarchs making allowance for the differing magnification. Used it to take a bunch of woodchucks in the 500-700 yards range this past summer not including 60+ under that range on my custom 223WSSM. I actually prefer it to the two others due to it's smaller size compared to the 6-20 and more magnification compared to the 3.5-10. To say it is a dog compared to the others makes me wonder if the shooters ever really put some time in behind one. Same/same except differing magnification. Tracks perfectly and has the same clarity as all the other Monarchs. I'll be first in line for one of the new models. You can have the Buckmasters.

one of us
Picture of squeeze
posted Hide Post
FVA,

Let me clear your question up for you. I have
a private range, behind my shop. I hand load
for 10 different rifle cartridges, and two
pistol cartridges, and I have been shooting
since 1965. This info is for background. Now
onto the question of time behind the scope. The
test for this Nikon was it sitting on my
shooting bench with a Leupold VXII, a Bushnell
4200, a Weaver V16, and the Monarch 5.5-16.5x.
All under the same conditions, being looked
through with the same eyes(multiple testers).
All scopes were variable, and somewhere between
4x, at the lowest, and 18x, at the highest. The
Monarch was a distant second to the Bushnell,
and not much better than the Leupold, or the
Weaver, by most assessments. That was the first
test that had me questioning this scope.
Granted I may have a dog of a Nikon Monarch. At
any rate, ever since that test, each new scope
goes on a rifle, on the same bench, with a
number of other brands of scopes, and after
every test, the Nikon Monarch still disappoints.
I purchased a Bushnell 3200, and that was
noticeably brighter. Then I wanted to try the
Side Focus feature, for AO's, so I tried a
Buckmaster SF, after numerous glowing reviews.
It was noticeably brighter, and clearer, than my
Monarch. At least with this Nikon Monarch, the
problem is not the time spent behind the scope,
but rather the scope. It is a dog. Whether
all Nikon Monarch 5.5-16.5x's are dogs, I
can't say, but I now have read of a second
opinion that this model is a "weak" model in
the Monarch line, and I agree based on my sample
of one. There are enough other good offerings,
in optics these days, that I only tolerate one
dog.

Squeeze

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Posts: 201 | Location: Wis | Registered: 05 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Clem
posted Hide Post
If Nikon scopes are as good as their camera lenses they can't be all bad.

Posts: 1292 | Location: I'm right here! | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Slatts
posted Hide Post
I just got back from the range and had a pretty good time except for the gusty winds. Yesterday I mounted the new Monarch UCC 6-20x44 with BDC reticle on my Rem LVSF 204 Ruger. The gun was brand new so it was a break in session.

I did manage to shoot a five shot group inside 1/2 inch at 100 yards. Probably just luck. The optics on the Nikon are clear and bright. Turned up to 20x it still has a clear sight picture. The one thing I didn't like is that the crosshairs are too thick for my tastes. I might have been better off with another reticle.

All in all, the Monarch is a lot of scope for the money.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I put my 1st nikon (3-9 pro hunter) on my 50cal encore. I sighted it in 4 years ago and haven't touched it since. Being so pleased with it I purchased 3 more. Great value.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
a while back i bought a new (older style)4.5x14x40 front (ao)...mounted it on my 25-06 a shot her out too 625yds on my mgm prarie-dog steel target, rang it manny times with ease, was short on scopes so put it on my 270 mountain eagle,shooting 130 barnes xlc''s hand-loaded to 3175 fps she''d hold 5/8 inch groups at 100 yds, that same scope and rifle combo took a doe wt at 409 yards, see''s staying in my stable for sure!regards jjmp

Posts: 999 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of West
posted Hide Post
I have five Nikon Monarch 6.5-20x44 Fine X-Hair scopes on everything from a 22H to a 204 Ruger. I think they are great scopes irrespective of price. Warranty service is excellent as well. I had a bad Monarch a few years ago and sent it off for warranty repair. With second day air shipping both ways, my scope was back to me within 10 days and it was fixed right. I can't complain about that kind of service. Do they compare with many of the high end scopes, no. Once and awhile I buy a big $$ scope but for the most part, I can't afford those high $$ scopes. Monarchs are hard to beat.

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from any direction.

Posts: 41 | Location: Aurora, CO | Registered: 18 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ive been doing the same thing the last 3 years. I have one left to replace. Its a 6.5-20 simmons that is on a .223. That gun will get a 6.5-20 Nikon Monarch. I really like the B&L elite 3200 and 4200 scopes for the money, but I can't pass up the deals going on on the Nikons

Posts: 53 | Location: Bothell, Wa. | Registered: 03 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got the 4.5x14 buckmaster. It's a good scope for the money. It's contrast and clarity isn't as good as a VX-II, but it's a 1/3 less money. It is more than sufficient for most prarie dog shooting. It wouldn't be a good choice for late evening coyotes.

I'm going to try the Monarch next, I hear good things about them and the new ones are supposed to be better yet.

Posts: 341 | Location: Janesville,CA, USA | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
I agree that the Buckmaster 4.5-14 is not bad for the price, but mine had the tunnel effect. For the same dough I would go with the VX I 4-12.

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Monarch, Buckmaster...................tremendous value for price!! I tested them against, Leupolds(variX 3's), Burris, Pentax Lightseekers, Bushnell and for the money, the clarity and definition to the edge of viewing field, the light gathering (or brightness if you will) and the repeatability of dialing up and down was outstanding!! The only reason I would buy a Leupold over the Nikon is for resale value!! Some people just want a name!! As far as brightness, the Pentax Lightseekers may have a slight edge. If I needed to scope 10 rifles tomorrow, they'd probably get some flavor of a Nikon!! The fast focus eyepiece feature and the side focus of the new model Nikons just add gravy to the purchase. The old model BUCKMASTERS, especially the 4.5-14 versions were absolutely great scopes!! When you are looking and comparing the Buckmaster to a Leupold Vari X 3 and looking at deer at 227 yards at 5:20PM on December 1 in the state of VA and can't see the crosshairs on the deer thru the Leupold, then look thru a Pentax Lightseeker that seems to turn the time back 20 minutes because of brightness and then compare the Buckmaster and it is clear to the edge of the viewing field PLUS being nearly as bright as the LightSeekers...........it's a nobrainer!! Give me the Nikons and I'll use the money saved for the components we all need!! GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
GHD wrote:
quote:
...........it's a nobrainer!! Give me the Nikons and I'll use the money saved for the components we all need!!

My thoughts EXACTLY...

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ