New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hornady 50 gr. SPSX
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
In your experience is this enough bullet for coyote-sized game at calling distances, (3440 fps MV) say out to 300 yds? Too frangible? They're not plastic-tipped, I know, but are shooting fantastic in my 223 w/Benchmark. Thanks.

Posts: 179 | Location: No. Idaho | Registered: 23 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Somebody on one of the other forums here (Reloading? Small Bore?) recently mentioned shooting a deer up close under the throat with a 55 grain SX from a .223 pistol and finding the perfectly mushroomed bullet way in the back of the deer. I'd think shooting at the ranges you mentioned would give similar impact velocities.

Posts: 424 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 28 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To me frangible is good hunting fur: bullet goes in, small nuclear explosion inside, bullet stays inside, coyote goes instantly dead! All the above is good hunting fur. Coyotes while tuff and tenacious aren't thick skinned at all, so don't shoot a major bone and youll be fine. Also at close range it might be a different story. At 40 yards as sometimes happens when you call a young hungry one and he tries to run over you, it would probably make quite a mess. Life ain't perfect, but that is a good bullet, I use it in a Anschutz Exemplar .22 Hornet pistol and it's quite accurate.---Shoot Safe---montdoug

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice.

<MachV>
posted
Have not used the 50 grainers but have shot thousands of 45 and 55 SPSX.Cut my teeth on them and keep going back to them(cheap and accurate)If you avoid bone at bad angles you'll do fine.Have had to skin many coyotes to see where they were hit=DRT

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, MACHV, that's the info I wanted.