Find
Notify
Tools

The turtles are out
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
"smilage", I like it Big Grin.

"If a man buys a rifle at a gun show and his wife doesn't know it"...Did he really buy a rifle?
Firearm Philosophy 101. montdoug

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rug:
Cute story brayhaven, does dear old dad eat dead flys under the swatter, or dead rats out of the trap? He sounds as stupid as you. How are the coyote steaks? This is a varmit shooting forum so for the non varmit shooters no need to post here.

No rug, he was, while he was alive, one of the smartest men I've ever known. What he was doing was teaching me respect for wildlife & responsible behavior towards nature. Too bad your father apparently didn't teach you. He didn't impart much civility on you either; it would appear. Too bad. As hunters & shooters, 90% of us are trying to present a positive, responsible image of our sport to the non-hunting public, a few seem destined to try to make us all look like wild-eyed, kill crazy zealots. When the anti-hunters hold up an example to make their point, who do you think they use Smiler?
BTW, I checked the rules & there was nothing about not posting on this forum if I didn't shoot turtles. Maybe you should read them again,.. as soon as you're through with your homework Roll Eyes.

"You can lead a horticulture, ... but you can't make 'er think" Florida Gardener

Posts: 808 | Location: N. FL | Registered: 21 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brayhaven:
quote:
Originally posted by Rug:
Cute story brayhaven, does dear old dad eat dead flys under the swatter, or dead rats out of the trap? He sounds as stupid as you. How are the coyote steaks? This is a varmit shooting forum so for the non varmit shooters no need to post here.

No rug, he was, while he was alive, one of the smartest men I've ever known. What he was doing was teaching me respect for wildlife & responsible behavior towards nature. Too bad your father apparently didn't teach you. He didn't impart much civility on you either; it would appear. Too bad. As hunters & shooters, 90% of us are trying to present a positive, responsible image of our sport to the non-hunting public, a few seem destined to try to make us all look like wild-eyed, kill crazy zealots. When the anti-hunters hold up an example to make their point, who do you think they use Smiler?
BTW, I checked the rules & there was nothing about not posting on this forum if I didn't shoot turtles. Maybe you should read them again,.. as soon as you're through with your homework Roll Eyes.

Nicely put ole boy! thumbroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey this all started about shooting turtles only those judging what they haven't done as wrong , and insults has brought it to this .You guys with negative comments should not have posted because this has nothing to do with you. That is my position ,so get over it. People in my area have been shooting turtles , nearly 300 years now , but no one is asking you to do it if you do not want to. Happy hunting

Posts: 590 | Location: Georgia pine country | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
After doing my homework around points made intelligently by Doubless and your friend David I actually can see where the turtles that aren't indigenous to an area should be controlled. That I can agree with although I think if I were involved in such a "manly" sporting endeavor I might keep it a bit low key. The "attack" came from "you" RUG when people disagreed with you. Instead of rationally explaining your point as your obviously much smarter than you buddy did you attacked Brayhavens father.
An interesting approach to debate often displayed by the ignorant, insecure and intellectually challenged. But again having no idea which one of your uncles is actually your dad I'm sure makes you jealous when someone talks about a father who obviously cares about his son enough to spend the time with him to teach him some values. (see, it's easy to attack people parents you don't know. So easy even a caveman can do it.) Your attack of that man who by brayhavens one post lets me know your not a pimple on his ass offends me beyond measure.
Brayhaven is right, our sport is under close scrutiny by anti's that live for the day they can legislate it out of existence. The non-hunting silent majority that are the ones with no real opinion on the issue are the votes that will make that decision. They will be watching all of us to decide how they feel about it so all of us hunters are the ones helping them to decide, unfortunately even clowns like you rug. With hunters like Bartsche and brayhaven we have a fighting chance of passing this heritage on to our grandkids. To my complete dismay I know that killers like yourself (you don't qualify as a hunter in my eyes) are the ones that will bring it down around our ears. The most unfortunate part is you aren't even sharp enough to see it or understand why. Pathetic!
P.S.
"Quote"
"People in my area have been shooting turtles , nearly 300 years now"
Are you really stupid enough to expect us to believe people in 1707 were wasting powder and shot on turtles for sport? Might I suggest you read a bit of history so your lies will at least be in question as opposed to being absolute proof of your ignorance. Plus which according to the non-indigenous animal causing problems theory goes flying out the window with the old shooting em 300 years ago B.S.
Rug. "Seek help"!!!

"If a man buys a rifle at a gun show and his wife doesn't know it"...Did he really buy a rifle?

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Freshwater turtle as classified as nuisances by the GA DNR.

So I have a question for the negative posters. What method of over population control do you suggest we use on these turtles before they destroy the lake? Be realistic in your response as I expect for you to do the same with your nuisance critters like p-dogs, gophers, crows and CA pansy ass liberals. Birth control? What a joke. Poisoning? Lets just kill everything that comes into contact with the lake.

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm with you on the nuisance control issue David and agree firearms would have to be the choice.
I guess I'm coming from a whole different perspective cause my issue is with attacking someones dad when a guy feels his position is challenged.
Your pal oughta get you to explain the issue and debate them, your obviously a lot smarter and infinitely more polite than he is, you make a much better spokesman.

one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
I shoot the turtles in my ponds. Bad for fish. No cow bites, but that is another good reason in my book.

I use a stock 10/22 and range is 50-100yds.

Shooting them off a log is too easy, I enjoy headshots while they are in the water.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
the pop corn turtles are gettin ready to go under. i saw this the other day

one of us
posted Hide Post
Surprises me some of the things you read here . I guess if turtles are not indigenous to your area then controlling them is OK . Had me wondering before I read about their pest status .
Always been taught that you should never shoot at water with a rifle though . Ricochet likely .
A year or so ago I read a post by some guy talking about shooting sea otters . What problem do they cause ?
Another one somewhere bragged that he was going to shoot a cheetah in Africa .Unbefuckinlievable ! Surely there must be some justification for shooting an animal other than just the fact that "it was there"?

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote