THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    204 Ruger on Javalina and Bobcats?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

204 Ruger on Javalina and Bobcats?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted
Has anyone used a 204 Ruger on Javalina or Bobcats?

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have taken a pair of Bobcats here in the NE USA. About 100-120 yards in winter. My dad took a few coyotes with his Kimber pro Varmint 204 Ruger. We used 33 and 40 gr Hornadys. Two of the coyotes were 55 lbs.

Posts: 2268 | Location: Westchester, NY, USA | Registered: 02 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used the 17 rem with 25 gr hollow points on grey fox and they are a little too much if you are shooting at close range. I would imagine a 32 to 40 gr bullet at 3800+ fps would pretty much tear up a bobcat. Havelina might be a little different. the following pix are of a grey fox called in and shot at +/- 30 yds w/ 17 rem & 25 gr. hdy. hp's

GWB

entry

Exit

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Should work just fine now that the fur market is not so good...when furs brought good money I wanted a tougher bullet and used solids for the most part and head shots with a 222.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, but it should be plenty of gun for both.

Safari Taxidermy by:John Baker
www.safaritaxidermy.com

Posts: 278 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas , USA | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've shot 2 javelina with the 223 and on the first one I shot way to far back and it took several more to put him down. On the second one I shot as close to the back of the head as I could and he went down quick.
The 204 should do just fine if you hit it close to the head.

Posts: 1361 | Location: congress, az us | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote