THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Come hunt wolves in Idaho - $186.50

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Come hunt wolves in Idaho - $186.50
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted
Hey lads

Please accept my invitation to come hunt wolves in Idaho.

For a total cost of $186.50, as a non-resident,you can take a wolf in Idaho and for an additional $31.75 you can take another one. Our 2fer special comes to $218.25 total cost to take 2 wolves in Idaho. You will need to hurry as this 2fer special only runs from now until March 31, 2012. Don't delay...act now. If you are a trapper have we got a deal for you. You can take 3 wolves for the same rated fees.

Most of the state has no quota on it although some areas will have some quotas and those areas are shut down when the quota is met. As the winter progresses with snowfall, the deer and elk move down from the higher elevations and the wolves, coyotes and mountain lions follow them. No additional licenses are needed for coyotes but lions do have other fees, tags and quotas.

Areas to hunt can be identified by Googling wolf pack map Idaho and you will see that almost all of Idaho north of the Snake River is home to an existing wolf pack. I received a email photo of a wolf pack consisting of 26 wolves in the Stanley area of central Idaho taken this fall at the opening day of elk season. Guess what? the elk harvest in that area was down. In the more northern parts of the state is the Lolo area which has seen elk populations decline from 16,000 to 2,000. Idaho Fish & Game is slated to begin some aerial gunning later this winter. Areas just north of Boise are excellent as are areas around Fairfield which is close to Sun Valley. Fly into Sun Valley and spend a day on the slopes followed by a swim in a natural hot water pool only to be followed by a wolf hunt. As noted above Stanley Idaho is not that far from Sun Valley.

I have the link to the F&G web site listed below and the wolf hunt is an any weapon hunt. Bring your friends and don't go home empty handed.

http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/public/hunt/?getPage=266

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
Are you hosting?
Big Grin
Do I have to use a .223?
rotflmo

Sounds good to me, don't know if I can get the time off in time to make the deadline though. After the March deadline, can you still take 1?

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Slowpoke Slim:
Are you hosting?
Big Grin
Do I have to use a .223?
rotflmo

Sounds good to me, don't know if I can get the time off in time to make the deadline though. After the March deadline, can you still take 1?

Nope no hosting on this end but it's an easy do it yourself hunt. Stay in a Boise motel or in Sun Valley and go hunt the days.

I think you should use a .223 and Kaboom will back me up on that opinion!!!!! Just ask him.

The season runs from August 30, 2011 to March 31, 2012. When it's over its over. That's about a 6 month season but the hunting gets a lot easier in January and February with the deer and elk migrating down due to snow and cold. Before that the wolves are up high in some of the Primitive areas and more rugged terrain which means a lot of mountain climbing.

Come join the fun and go home with 2.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Almost everyone that I have talked to saw wolves while hunting elk this year and the wolves exhibited no fear..many of my cowboy friends are packing pistols as they have come within yards of wolves and it bothered them greatly, the wolves just stared at them and then turned and left..One friend told me "They ain't gonna eat my horse"

They have a foothold and are here to stay and the elk herds are suffering greatly, and soon the winter feed grounds will be half elk and half wolf, guess who will winter the best..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I plan on hopping across the border from Eastern WA after the first of the year and doing this hunt. I would love to get a couple of nice pelts and I have it on good authority that the backstraps are pretty good eating when grilled.

If only Idaho would let us close by states hunt for a little cheaper it would be perfect.

bob

One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
Here is an update on the 2011-2012 Wolf season to date. As shown in this report there have been 157 wolves taken by firearms and 5 by trapping. All areas in the state are still open. Don't wait.... come to Idaho and help us with the wolf overpopulation. Harvest one or two of these critters.

http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/public/hunt/?getPage=121

Sidnye

You are 100% correct according to your quote from page 67 of the 2011 Big Game Hunting brochure. No restriction on the magazine capacity of your rifle or pistol. You could legally hunt with an AR using a 100 round drum if you chose to. I love Idaho.

The only AR restriction would be if your AR was set up to shoot rimfire rounds, then it would be prohibited for wolves but not lions. I love Idaho.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Half a tank of gas and I can kill as many as i can catch up to. Big Grin

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of wolfhunter 2
posted Hide Post
I have hunted canada for6 years now it sounds like IDAHO will be a good late season hunt in 2012

Posts: 155 | Location: mn | Registered: 08 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[quote]Almost everyone that I have talked to saw wolves while hunting elk this year and the wolves exhibited no fear..many of my cowboy friends are packing pistols as they have come within yards of wolves and it bothered them greatly, the wolves just stared at them and then turned and left..One friend told me "They ain't gonna eat my horse"

I don't know about that. Only 200 wolves shot so far this season--that out of like 20k+ tags sold. I'd say every deer/elk hunter probably has a tag or two and no doubt would shoot one if the opportunity presented itself.
I've only seen one and had no shot opportunity.

I hear everyone saying that you can hardly throw a beeer can out a pickup window without hitting a wolf yet the chances of shooting one is extremely rare.
Hopefuly my luck will change.

Posts: 193 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 11 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DPollard
posted Hide Post
TEANCUM - have you been out wolf hunting yet? If so, any luck? I went once earlier in the season with no luck. I plan to head up again soon hopefully near Lowman or Stanley.

One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DPollard:
TEANCUM - have you been out wolf hunting yet? If so, any luck? I went once earlier in the season with no luck. I plan to head up again soon hopefully near Lowman or Stanley.

I've been out twice. Went up the middle fork of the Boise both times and found there wasn't much snow up there yet ( couple of weeks ago ) and as a result not a lot of deer and elk down at that time. With this latest snow it should improve.

I saw 3 wolves at about 700-900 yards and they were moving away quickly, not spooked just motoring.

I talked to my buddy whose son shot one around Salmon last week after going out 11 times. I'm thinking the snow level is our friend.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kabluey probably wont make the Idaho wolf hunt, he's busy writing his book. "More Dear to Me Than the .270 to Jack O'Connor The .223 Americas Deer Rifle".

Posts: 3811 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DPollard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TEANCUM:
quote:
Originally posted by DPollard:

I've been out twice. Went up the middle fork of the Boise both times and found there wasn't much snow up there yet ( couple of weeks ago ) and as a result not a lot of deer and elk down at that time. With this latest snow it should improve.

I saw 3 wolves at about 700-900 yards and they were moving away quickly, not spooked just motoring.

I talked to my buddy whose son shot one around Salmon last week after going out 11 times. I'm thinking the snow level is our friend.

I was surprised to hear they are so close to town. Talked to a guy the other day that saw wolves up at Black's Creek last year. I definitely think the recent snow will be of help. My brother's co-worker just shot one this weekend up near Horseshoe Bend.

posted Hide Post
Be real careful if you stay in Sun Valley.It's just chucked full of them thar bunny huggers.If they ask just tell them you are there to study and watch those wonderful and facinating wolves.Dont need to know you study through a rifle scope hee hee.Man I hate those wolves!!!!