New
Find
Notify
Tools

Abnormal Coyote Call
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Okay I have a problem. I live in an area of Northeastern Oklahoma with a BOOMING coyote population, but they have been hunted so hard they will hardly ever come to standard prey in distress calls (Cottontail & Jackrabbit). I haven't had a whole lot of luck howling either. Recently I've read several articles on hunting coyotes near cattle, and I am directly adjacent to a large herd of cattle and calves are everywhere. Does anyone know where to find a bawling calf call?

Posts: 61 | Location: Deep Fork River Bottoms, Oklahoma | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
try getting hold of a recording of a baby(human ) crying or a bird in distress lie a chicken or a pheasant.

In any case, ask these guys: www.predatormasters.com

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I am in a similar situation in mid-Missouri. For what it's worth, my most productive tape to play on my caller is Death Cry of a Crow. I shot a bobcat on a stand once when taking my last look around before moving. Only had a shotgun because I was only trying to call crows. No crows came, but the cat did.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The call you need is the Coyote "pup" distress call.

Posts: 255 | Location: Wurtsboro,NY.USA | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks very much for all the ideas! We raise different types of fowl and a recorded session of some of the peacock, turkey, guinea, or pheasant calls just might do the trick!

Posts: 61 | Location: Deep Fork River Bottoms, Oklahoma | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I am directly adjacent to a large herd of cattle and calves are everywhere.

Not sure if the fam has cats or not but a lost kitten call is another that will bring in coyotes near farms. If you can hole up in the loft of the barn, you'll have a nice perch as a look out.

Good luck,
douglast

Posts: 294 | Location: Waunakee, WI USA | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know what you mean about Coyotes not responding to "traditional" calls. You have been given good advice, try something like turkey or woodpecker. Also, sometimes a fawn distress call works pretty well.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tried the fawn distress with no avail...

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Find someone with a new litter of kittens. If you keep the momma away for a while they relly get noisy. Make a recording of this by putting them in a box one lonly kitten at a time until they get louder. Record them at full volume for a while. Coyotes can hear from a long way out and if you hit the end of the tape with no results just wait a while.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I'de highly suggest the turkey call. If you feel so inclined even use a decoy. I had a coyote hammer a turkey decoy this past season after some yelps to help get his attention.

FWIW
CJW15

Posts: 15 | Location: Stronghurst, IL | Registered: 24 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Smknbarrel: One additional answer to your question - I kind of hesitate to mention it in such a popular public forum as this (it may cut down on my success rates) but for you I will!
Don't call!
Thats right do not call them at all! Set up and wait for them! By set up I mean choose places at dawn and dusk that Coyotes frequent. Use good camo and remain still and ready! Wait for them! Choose your approach to your set up spot carefully and then approach quietly. I like to slip over a ridge line that has a view of likely Coyote Hunting country. I mean where the Coyotes will be Hunting and travelling! Wait for them! And then snipe them!
Also do the same thing at night using just a spotlight. This is a VERY succesful way to Hunt call shy Coyotes. Also Hunt them on moonlit nights without spotlights if that is illegal in your area!
I have a couple of friends that simply drive around with their semi-auto AR-15 and Mini-14 style Varminters and wait til they see Coyotes and then they "unload" on them! This style Hunting is not as fun and exciting as calling them in is for me but they have fun doing it!
I also have friends that bait Coyotes or sneak up on domestic stock carcasses at dawn and dusk to wait for Coyotes. They often are succesful! I have one friend that buys Hog skins (large full skins) from butchers and he wires them to willows on the edge of meadows and pastures. Coyotes and all kinds of Varmints come and gnaw and tug on these skins. He snipes them at his leisure!
I often myself will set up during late January and February near where cattle are giving birth to their calves! This is a Coyote magnet! But only for those few bitter months around here. Dress warm if you try this. I often see the Coyotes approach these areas in small groups. 2's, 3's and 4's! Fun Hunting this!
Good luck getting after those smart ones!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote