THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Opinions on the Savage 340 series

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinions on the Savage 340 series
 Login/Join

posted
I am looking for another varmint cartridge in 22 hornet or 222 rem. I have seen a few of these 340s around in my price range and was wondering what the overall opinions on these were?

Thanks Matt

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've owned one, for over thirty years, in 222. It's not a beauty queen but it sure does shoot. It used to be my go to coyote rig in my early days later it shot alot of prairie dogs. I've moved up since then but it is still a shooter when it comes to punching paper for bragging rights. The price I'm guessing should be more than reasonable. Good luck whatever you decide. I think I have an extra scope mount if you would need one.

Posts: 77 | Location: the flint hills of oz | Registered: 27 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
I have never owned one, but have handled a few in one of the variation of make and model number.

I hear the story is that they are not a pretty, sexy, high- dollar rifle, but shoot pretty decently anyway (some better than others)! It does require a unique scope mount.If you can get a shoot before you buy it may make it better.

Posts: 4255 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only two calibers in the 340 I ever shot were the .30-30 and the .22 Hornet. Accuracy in the .30-30 was about par with a good Win. M94 .30-30(that was with open sights). The 340 in .22 Hornet I owned got decent accuracy(1.5(+/-) inches at 100 yards with a Weaver K6 scope on it. Since I already had a Win. M54 in .22 Hornet(that I still wish I had) I traded the 340 off for a M722 in .250 Savage. At least I still have the .250. Lawdog

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote