New
Find
Notify
Tools

17HMR Barrel life
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Thanks for the responses regarding the optimum barrel length i posted a few days ago.

Could I have some feedback also on the accurate barrel life being experienced with the 17HMR?

thanks in advance
APB

Posts: 223 | Location: Qld, Australia | Registered: 02 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I don't think that you can wear one out unless it's with a cleaning rod.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12688 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
APB: I have at least 3,000 rounds down the tube of my Ruger 77/17 V/T in 17 HMR.
It shows no sign of loosing accuracy and if I think of it I will take the Rifle to my friend across the valley here who has one of the new HawkEye Borescopes and look its barrel over internally - if it will fit down the tube of the 17!
I have a friend that uses his 17 HMR Rifle even more than I do I will get hold of him (no computer for this guy) and report back on his accuracy holding up.
With the modest velocity and the tiny powder charge in the 17 HMR I am guessing barrel life should be quite long!
But that is a WAG there on my part.
Long live the 17 HMR!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote