New
Find
Notify
Tools

Garage Sale 22-250 Rifles
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am still recovering from my snake bite and decided instead of going to the range or going Bear or Elk Hunting I would take it easy and do some Garage sales today (Friday September 16th).
I ran across a couple of dandy Rifles. One of them I am not familiar with which was priced at $225.00. It was a Mossberg bolt action Rifle in caliber 22-250 Remington. It had a detachable magazine and a low priced scope on it. But it was in excellent shape! Like 97% and I am sure it was 20 years old. I did not get the model number but I am going back by that sale tomorrow on my way to the Twin Bridges, Montana Gunshow. Anyone familiar with these Mossberg bolt action Rifles with a flush mounted detachable magazine?
This was a sporter Rifle with a somewhat heavyish barrel and sights.
The other Rifle I came across I actually went back twice to the sale to look at it! It was a Remington Model 788 in caliber 22-250 also. But this Rifle was NEW! It was perfect in every way no mars even, let alone scratches, blue wear or dings anywhere! The owner had bought the Rifle sighted it in and then was in an accident in 1986 that cost him his right forearm and hand! Shame that. Anyway he is selling out and moving from Montana to Arizona.
Unfortunately he had it in his mind that he had paid $550.00 for the 788 new, with a cheap Bushnell scope on it! And that is what he wants to sell it for! Like I say, I went home double checked my Blue Book and went all the way back and offered him $350.00 for it. He declined and said it would be bad luck for him to sell a gun for less than he paid for it!
I looked every where on this Rifle for wear and found none - none on the clip, the muzzle, the bolt face. It was mint!
If anyone is interested I will get a number from these two different garage sale folks and pass them on to you!
I have seen "doggy" 788's in Varmint calibers where the owners were asking $400.00 but I am just not that up on what a mint one would sell for. The latest Blue Book says 98% 788's should bring $275.00 so I thought $350.00 was a fair offer???
Not often that I have seen Rifles at garage sales but I sometimes forget I am living in Montana (heaven?) now!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy (I will be on my cell phone all day tomorrow (September 17th) if anyone has the hots for either of these - dial 1-206-200-3791)

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
VG-the Mossberg sounds rather interesting, a lot cheaper than the 22/250 that put me into major lust mode tonight. I was in Billings on biziness and went to Scheels. They had a Kimber 84 in a 22/250 with a nice piece of wood on it.
I'm not sure I'll sleep tonight thinking about that one. I also got kind of lusty thinking about a Montana in 308, you know the proverbial 6# mtn rifle thing we think about as we push towards 50.

I could go to Twin tommorow but I should get out and chase the bruin.

MD

ps it is kind of hard to believe that the old 788's bring some serious coin these days isn't it. I remember the day of buying them new for about $89 from Gopher.

I do need a 788 action for 308 opr 7/08 if you ever find one. I've a nice Micky stock just waiting for it. I'd be kind of tempted to toss the barrel and have Arnold at Capital twist on a Swift tube for me in a 4 weight Lilja.

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark Dobrenski: I got a late night (Sunday 18th) call from my friend and Hunting partner. He needed me to ride with him to Hamilton, Montana this morning and give him a hand with a load of fake rocks he was buying for his home.
We hit all the Gunshops in Hamilton and Missoula (that damn Axman shop is closed Mondays!) and I had the major drools going on at several places.
I have only been to that Scheels place once at the suggestion of one of the posters here (Kory) and it is a super cool place and I need to get back there ASAP. Nice stuff!!
MY partner (the fella I was with today) wants one of the Remington 700 Laminated thumbhole stocked satinless heavy barrel repeater Varminters in 223 Remington. The Sportsmans Warehouse had one in 22-250 and he is really getting hot for one in 223! They are a non-catalogued and limited run item I guess?
I am trying to talk him into a 204 but he wants the 223.
I will keep my eye open for one of the 788's in the appropriate caliber for you.
Yes it is sort of shocking to see the prices they bring nowadays!
By the way a "lurker" on the forum called me also on Sunday afternoon (yesterday) and told me a Gunshop down Tulsa way just got in two 788's that were new in the box! Unfired!
One was a 308 and the other was a 22-250! I was going to call on them this morning but we were travelling the 210 miles each way to Missoula real early and I did not get home til 8:30 PM tonight. I will call them tomorrow and you are welcome to call also the number of Bills Outdoor Sports is 1-580-233-7846.
The Mossberg 22-250 is at a little house that is on main street in Twin Bridges and is I think just a house of two east of the towns only gas station. The house is for sale and the two cars in front are for sale with signs on them. The folks at the store gas station know where the sale was and can direct you there if I am off base a bit house counting. I did not get back to the gunshow in Twin or the garage sale on Sunday either one - so I do not know if the Mossberg sold or not.
Go for that nice stocked Kimber!
More later
Long live the 788
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tell you VG not many guns get my pulse running anymore but that lil Kimber in 22/250 did.

Man would that ever be nice for calling yotes this winter and for lopes next fall...who knows if I sell some land here quickly it could even happen sooner than that.

MD

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey one other thing if you talk to those folks about the new 788's see if the 308 is a carbine or no. I just love those short tubed things!

I still would love to build a Swift off a 788, kind of weird I know but I have this neat McMillan that fits like a dream that is just dying to become a yote killer.

MD

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark, I just saw one of those 788's in .308 Carbine "NEW IN THE BOX" last weekend. A friend of mine who runs a shop specializing in T/C stuff picked it up in a deal somewhere! Give him a call at "Blue Ridge Guns & Ammo", 540-377-2428. His name is Alan Groh. Tell him Charlie Milliron sent you! GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark: Dang-it! I did not see your post till after I called Bill's Outdoor Sports this morning!
They still have both Rifles but I did not think to inquire if it is the carbine model for the 308.
I have seen the carbines at Gunshows and they DO, bring a premium price!
Their number is 1-580-233-7846 if you get a chance to call or I may call them tomorrow and try to wheel and deal on the both of them!
Let me know I do not want to step on your toe as we are dealing long distance here!
More later
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey VG thanks but don't do any purchasing on my account, I need to get a house sold first.

MD

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark Dobrenski: Received!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey VG I do appreciate the offer, but I made a big career change this summer and now work in Real Estate. It's be a ton of fun but the drawers are just a bit tight as we speak about $ so until I get a piece sold I am gonna have to lay low. It's killing me to do so, why is it I always want things the most when things are the tightest!!?

Thanks

MD

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark Dobrenski: I had missed this latest posting of yours til just now!
I have two more friends thinking of retiring in the the Bozeman to Whitehall to Dillon areas! I will turn them on to you when they get serious! I had another old workmate of mine who just bought some land on Jack Rabbit Lane near Bozeman! He will be building and moving in sometime next year or so.
Good luck on the new career!
Things sure seem to be booming up Bozeman way!
Don't sell the mountains!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
VG either give them my e-mail

mdobrenski@msn.com

or my Century 21 cell number

406-599-2175

Gracias (I can take all the help you have any of you for that matter)

Mark D