Find
Notify
Tools

Pennsylvania chucks???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Greetings shooters,

I'm new to this forum, but have learned alot in the short time I've been reading the threads.

I would like to know how the woodchuck shooting is in Pennsylvania. A co-worker of mine invited me down to shoot a couple dairy farms owned by his family, and just wanted to know what to expect.

Thanks

Posts: 274 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: 04 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Should be pretty good shooting. If you are going to the area of dairy farms, there should be lots of prime groundhog territory with open grazing fields, hay fields, and other areas that they love.

Have fun!

Posts: 164 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 04 October 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
You should be OK. I killed 4 and missed 2 last night. There is still an awful lot of hay to be cut yet. Once they get it baled up things should improve greatly.

Posts: 7 | Location: PA | Registered: 03 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ford freak,

In this part of the state they are called groundhogs.I'm up to 238 for the year so far...Soy beans are out so they are real easy to find. I actually have more places to hunt them then I can possibly get to..Many brushy hillsides are now grown in for the year so those remaining groundhogs are safe till next spring....The same goes for those holes which are located in corn fields....Limited amounts of hay in my area so once the soybeans get to 8-9" then I am limited to hunting apple orchard rows and some dairy farms. And it seems that for every one that I shoot, the next year there are two to replace it!........Big K

[ 07-05-2003, 15:45: Message edited by: Big K ]

Posts: 33 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 19 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The quality of the hunting will vary from one area to another. If you're talking dairy farm it should be about as good as you can expect. A lot will depend on whether the hay is cut or how high the crops are. Naturally the hunting is better early in the season. I'm sure you'll do quite well. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Big K,

238? My goodness, you have been busy. [Smile] I killed 61 so far (in the past 4 weeks) and thought I was doing good. You are 100% correct about the bean fields. I killed 21 "chucks" (woodchuck aka groundhog) in one 14 acre bean field in 1 week (last week).

Since the beans are now getting to high to see the chucks we will move to hay feilds. I saw one 200 acre hay field cut this past Thursday so we (myself and a buddy) will be out later today to see if we can see any.

What are you using for cartridges?

I use a 22 CHeetah MK 1 and push a 52gr bullet at 4280 FPS. My best kill was a few weeks ago at 675 yards.

Don [Smile]

Posts: 263 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 13 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Second cutting of hay is comeing off now, if you have not gone yet better get there soon.
It ain't prarie dog huntin but it's the best we got in Pa.

Posts: 43 | Location: pa | Registered: 14 December 2002Reply With Quote