THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Predator/Varmint Calling scope?????????

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Predator/Varmint Calling scope?????????
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
In the process of building a AR15 in 204 R., it will mainly be a coyote calling rig with shots ranging from 10 feet to 500 yards. I am at the point now of chosing glass for it, right now I'm considering several scopes.

1. Zeiss 4.5-14X50mm w/ target turrets and SF
2. Zeiss 3-9X50mm
3. Nikon Buckmaster 4-12X50 SF

My experience is limited to my highest power that I own which is 3.5-10x44. Is 4-4.5 power too much for close in calling? I would like to find a scope that was reasonable priced that was a 3-12 or 14 but that seems to be rare. I'm also open to other suggestions other than the ones I've listed. Thanks

Posts: 439 | Location: USA | Registered: 01 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For PD's I tend to use a scope in the 4x16 and 6x20 power range. For yotes in a carry rifle I use a 3x9 and a 3.5x10.

Posts: 72 | Location: S.E. Wi for now | Registered: 01 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
Bearcat, as you are using an AR15 platform, there are many options.

You could mount a 6X24 scope on the rail conventionally and get an offset mount for a red dot to sit next to the scope for close up work.

A friend has this setup and after some initial familiarization it works great.
I am not sure of the maker of his mount, but I believe the red-dot is a Docter copy.
It looks just like a Docter red dot.

Warne also makes a side mount that you could use.

Warne Side Mount

I hope this helps.

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AI22-250
posted Hide Post
Bearcat - I've got a inexpensive Bushnell 3200 5-15x50mm on my 22-250AI. The FOV is plenty good for work around 50yrds or less and with 15x and 50mm longer distance and dusk aren't a problem. I've focused it in the house at about 15ft before. On a more exspensive note my best scope, and the one my wife doesn't know the price of is my 6.5-20x50 LRT w/ varmint reticle, that's my little tiny filet getter. But again that's around 8 bills if you look around. If I really had my druthers I'd find a mid-range NightForce....

Posts: 289 | Location: Holladay,UT (SLC) | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bearcat, go with the 3x9. You will find that the low power is really handy for the in your face situation when a yote explodes out of the brush. The 9 will be plenty for a controlled shot at the longer ranges. No big tgt knobs to mess with, just sight it in right and learn what your hold will be for the various ranges. I set mine on 3 and usually don't change it unless something hangs up and offers me a long shot. Then there is usually plenty of time.

Thaine
"Begging hands and bleeding hearts will always cry out for more..." Ayn Rand

"Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here, we might as well dance" Jeanne C. Stein

Posts: 730 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 4.5x14 will work great.

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
I'm not going to downplay the quality of Zeiss, BUT for $330 dollars difference, I would go with the Nikon. The Zeiss is more than TWICE the price of the Nikon.

You can load a shipload of .204 ammo for $330.

JMHO.

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some great info guys, what about the Bushnell 4200's. Their 2.5-10x50's are about $400 and that mag. range would be perfect for both close in and long distance stuff, I just have never handled one. Are they good glass? Whos glass would the 4200 compare to? Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bearcat

I have that very scope on a Mohawk 600 rebarrel in a .243. I'd compare it with Leupold VX III and Nikon Monarch. Clear and bright.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bearcat:
Some great info guys, what about the Bushnell 4200's. Their 2.5-10x50's are about $400 and that mag. range would be perfect for both close in and long distance stuff, I just have never handled one. Are they good glass? Whos glass would the 4200 compare to? Thanks
4200's are very good also. I would go with more magnification, though. 10X just isn't enough for this cartridge IMO. Bushnell Elites are made by Bushnell's parent company. Remember Bausch & Lomb's Balvars?.

Also do not forget about Weaver Grand Slams.
The owner of a local gunshop has 2. One is the new illuminated reticle model.

He said he has owned and used every concievable brand and "quality" of scope (he sells Swarovski and Zeiss and has several on guns) and he would put these up against any scope. He told me the quality of construction and repeatablilty of the adjustments were the main reasons he went with the Weaver.

After all, he said, I can have ANY scope in this place. I OWN it...

Weaver Grand Slam

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for all the info you provided.

Flippy, I don't really need more mag. I don't shoot whistle pigs or stuff like that @ 600+ yards, most of my shooting is calling and most shots are up close, some shots are 400-500 if one hangs up and won't come in but I've also had them practically run over me. The 10x will be plenty for me and the 40' FOV on 2.5 will be great. I just ordered the Elite 4200 2.5-10x50mm from the optic zone, great people to work with by the way, and great prices. Thanks again

One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
I'm sure you will be happy with the 4200.
They are very good scopes at a reasonable price.

---Mike

JUST A TYPICAL WHITE GUY BITTERLY CLINGING TO GUNS AND RELIGION

Definition of HOPLOPHOBIA

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 4200 arrived yesterday, and I am very pleased with the scope it is extreamly clear. Thanks for the advice guys, now I just have to sit and wait for my AR upper in 204 R. to show up!