THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    New Rifle!: Available in 90 plus Calibers???

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Rifle!: Available in 90 plus Calibers???
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted
Edited addition:

http://www.ershawbarrels.com/er_shaw_new_heritage.pdf

This will answer all your questions.. brochure link...

That's right sports fans.. even wildcats.. and all at NO additional charge!

Too good to be true??? Is this going to cost a fortune?? NOPE!!!

ER Shaw is going to be distributing a Rifle Called the Shaw Mark VII... or Mark 7 for those who don't know Latin.. lol

They are purchasing actions from Savage, that will have the Shaw Name engraved on the receiver...they come with the accu trigger, and will be available in left or right handed actions...

List price is supposed to be about $625.00...

the Stock will be the Boyd's JRS style, completely finished and available in your choice of Laminate Gray or Nutmeg ( Brown)..

If you need your barrel fluted they can do that...

Plus the actions are available in chrome moly or Stainless, and your barrel can be the choice of either also!

I don't know about your gents, but this is fantastic!!! I could see thinning out the gun cabinet and just invest in a few of these rigs to replace them and then just order replaceable barrels..from Shaw or other companies..

Imagine desiring a rifle chambered in 22.250 AI with a one in 9 twist to it, in Stainless and with a Fluted barrel.. along with a barrel length available from 16 to 26 inches.. YOU pick! and it is all available from the factory turnkey! for $625.00 MLP...or MSR...

personally I think this is the best thing to happen for Gunsales in a long long time.. if not ever..

I bet it is time to get an order in now, as I bet they will be back ordered for the next 3 years once this gets rolling..

I'm going to need to get at least 2, one short action and one long action... after that.. I a gun cabinet full of stuff that I need to sell..

Cheers
seafire

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hope this works out. I'll take one in 20 practical. I wonder how the boyd's stocks will work out with such a demand.

Will the stainless and blued be the same price? Flutes too? Can't really see that they could be. I'm going to the shaw website and look around.

Let's see how it compares to some rough numbers I have:
Blued Savage action $305 plus shipping
Action Bolts $10 plus shipping
Shaw stainless barrel $220 plus shipping
Boyd finished stock $150 plus shipping
total of ~ $685 plus shipping

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
JB...

there is an article on it, that I read at the supermarket in the August editon of either Handloader or Rifle Shooter on it..

they were stating list price was $625.00...

the article featured rifle had a 26 inch barrel with helical fluting in stainless, action and barrel, chambered from the factory in 22.250 AI.. he didn't mention any of the optional non standard twists that are available...

I do know Shaw does chamber the 20 Tactical, so you could get one... I didn't mention the buyer also has a choice of barrel contours on top of barrel lengths and some calibers do have optional twists... like 22 and 6mm for instance..

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Great idea! Aside from the fact that by using the Savage action you get easy barrel exchange, I wish they would give the option of other actions. Not a big Savage fan becuase of the simple fact that I am somewhat superficial and think they are BUTT UGLY. I am a form and funtion kinda' guy. Does Savage make a nice, small action sized for the 223 size rounds, or do they use their standard, huge action? Lou Smiler

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
never could figure out why somebody didn't do this before. So what if they only sell 2 300 wambam magnums a year, that 2 they didn't sell before.

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I couldn't find the list of reamers they had on the website. If they can crank these out at a reasonable price with "non traditional" options such as fast twist 22-250 AI, etc., they could fill a niche.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does Savage make a nice, small action sized for the 223 size rounds, or do they use their stnadard, huge action? Lou Smiler

It's a big action! popcornroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will they be available in a barreled action? I just hate plastic stocks.

NRA Life Endowment Member

Posts: 420 | Location: Troy, Michigan | Registered: 21 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
How about do they come with different stocks? They need more options. How about a target action trigger in there? Or just a target action? Two barrels in 17 Rem and 458 Lott? What else could you need?

Oh yeah, a 338 Edge!

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeMichalski:
Will they be available in a barreled action? I just hate plastic stocks.
A

available stocks are going to be Boyd Laminate in 2 colors, the Grey and Brown and in the JRS profile..

John Quincy Adams

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the Rifle magazine the article is in. If you read the article the writer was less than impressed with the accuracy and quite honestly more accurate rifles are sold all the time for a third the cost under the Stevens name.
ER Shaw should have spent more of the manufacturing cost on the bore of the barrel and less on the outside.

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep, I just read that article in Rifle mag. I changed my mind, you guys can have mine. They did away with the savage barrel nut, so there goes switching barrels around. I'll build my own.

http://www.riflemagazine.com/magazine/PDF/hl254partial.pdf

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
I called Chris at ER Shaw...

Right now this is a barreled action...

Boyd's is making stocks for the rifle in their JRS profile and their Varmint Profile Stocks..
and are being inletted to take any one of the contours available by Shaw

those contours will be their # 2, 2.5, 3, 3.5 and # 5 contours...

They will not come with Savage's Barrel nut installed...

They can be ordered with a target crown or an 11 degree crown at no charge..

These rifles are each hand assembled..the lugs and everything is trued before assembly..

they are negotiating with a synthetic stock manufacturer that will have inletted synthetic stocks for each of the barrel contours available but that is still in negotiations..

right now turn around is 4 to 6 months..

sky is the limit on what is available here.. they indicated the gunrags screwed the info up in their articles on it already...

so as an example.. I proposed the following for a cost quote..

Stainless action, right handed
stainless barrel.. 26 inches
11 degree target crown
#5 bull barrel
accutrigger is included here..

Chambered in any available 20, 22, 24 centerfire caliber .. with availability of 1 in 14, 12 or 9 twist..

Without a Stock.. just a barreled action..

Cost: $595.00 with $24.00 shipping to anywhere in the lower 48...

I can get an inletted Boyds stock in Grey or Brown for this rig.. say in their varmint profile..

about $100.00 + shipping on an unfinished stock..

about $180.00 finished and ready to go..

the JRS profile finished is about $150.00

their catalog web address:

http://www.ershawbarrels.com/er_shaw_new_heritage.pdf

John Quincy Adams

one of us
posted Hide Post
All that extra hand fitting work and the best the gun writer could squeeze out of his 22-250 AI was a marginal 100 yd. prairie dog gun at best.
For less money you can buy a new Savage action, buy a barrel of your choice, the same Boyds stock, decent trigger and put together a real shooter. sans the twisted, fluted barrel that apparently doesn't shoot all that well.

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote