Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

VMax 35 for .223
 Login/Join

posted
Has anyone found a good load for vmax 35gr in .223. Nothing in any of my reloading manuals. I have an itch to try them. Thanks.

Posts: 12 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 30 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I tried them in my Ruger #1V, but couldn't get a long enough OAL. I now use the 40 Gr VMAX, and it works great. I do use the 35 Gr in my wife's Hornet and it is wonderful there.
Pete

[ 10-13-2003, 00:12: Message edited by: PJ ]

Posts: 403 | Location: Emeryville, CA | Registered: 24 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
22gr of imr 4198,rem 7 1/2 primer,winchester case.Does sub moa out of my ar-15's,1" through the 14" contender barrel I used to have.Velocity is 3400+.Good luck and Have fun!!! Clay.

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have loaded some in a 26 inch barreled Ruger VT. Their accuracy was okay, and their velocity exceeded 4500 fps.

However, because of the lack of aerodynamics of the bullet for its small size, it did not have very long range potential at all. It really amazes me how much more long range potential you get, just by going to a 40 grain bullet.

The 35 grainer was made for the Hornet, and evidently is about all it is good for.

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The same ballistic improvement of the .22 cal 40g vmax over the 35g ALSO carries over to the .22Hornet. [Wink]

If you use "Lilgun powder" in the Hornet,good velocity at lower pressure is acheivable without going to a bullet with the ballistics of a peice of road gravel........... [Big Grin]

The 35g bullet REALLY loses velocity fast due to it's poor B.C. [Frown]

[ 10-19-2003, 12:08: Message edited by: sharpsman ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, the 40 Grain VMax can't be loaded short enough to fit the magazine of the CZ American in 22 H.
Pete

Posts: 403 | Location: Emeryville, CA | Registered: 24 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bet it can if you remove the rear baffel from the back of the mag....

It works just great in my 527!!!!!!!!!!