New
Find
Notify
Tools

XR-100 In 204 Is here!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just got home from a 2 1/2 week work detail on the west coast. While out there I purchased a nifty new Remington XR-100 in caliber 204 Ruger.
I had plenty of time during evenings to look over the XR-100 and check its fit and finish.
I was very pleased with the Rifle and especially the 40X style trigger.
I spent this morning mounting a Leupold 8.5x25x40mm scope on it. I chose Leupold rings and a one piece base in matte for this. By the way the Leupold 700 Short Action one piece base fits perfectly on this XR-100! I was shocked also! Leupold does not offer a matte finished one piece base (as yet) for the XR-100 and I was fiddling around experimenting and tried the Remington 700 S.A. one piecer on my Rifle. I had to leave the front rear screw hole filled with a flat headed filler screw so the hole won't fill with crud or rust up. The one piece base 700 S.A. base uses the rear rear hole for lockdown. Other than that the 700 S.A. one piece base worked just fine.
I lapped the Leupold medium rings in with a moderate amount of effort and then "bore sighted" the XR-100 the old fashioned way - by aiming at a white rock (down the bore) across the valley and then aligning the scope cross hairs on the rock. I am going to have to find a 17 caliber and a 20 caliber set of spuds for my Bushnell Boresighter!
A lot has been said about the lack of quality from the folks at Remington in the last few years by a few people - but I have have been pretty happy during that time with the Remingtons I have bought and the fit and finish, crown, trigger, looks and feel of this XR-100 has impressed me greatly. It was to windy here to shoot it this afternoon and I hope to have it out to the range tomorrow for barrel breakin and initial sight in.
I set the action screws both at 45 inch/pounds of torque as my other Remingtons seem to like this modest amount of torque for good accuracy.
No one I talked to out on the coast has seen any 204 brass as yet! I did buy this Rifle its own set of Redding 204 dies. I hate using dies from other Rifles especially for load development!
I hope this Rifle will shoot the Sierra 20 caliber bullets well as I have seen them perform in the field and I was very impressed with what they did out there!
I saw the Sierra 20 caliber bullets virtually everywhere I shopped and they were cheaper than the Bergers I use in my other 204's so heres hoping they will come through.
My Rifle weighed in at 12 pounds 4 ounces with the scope, rings and base installed! Just right I think for a Colony Varmint Rifle!
I will let you all know how it shoots maybe as soon as tomorrow!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
PS: Thanks to Saeed and his partners for the nice Memorial Day feature on this site!
Thank you very much for that.

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
sir i have a rx100 that shoots 1/4 5 shot groups at 100 yards.i put a jewell trigger on mine first thing.i use becchrest power and 35 or 40 gr moly bullets.gun shoots lights out.hope you have the same luck.have not had a chance to shot yotes yet with it.having to much fun shooting them with my 17 hmr.dont let any one tell you the 17 hmr want kill yotes i am killing them up to 175 yards and i am talking about big yotes.not pups.

one of us
Picture of lofter
posted Hide Post
VG.....I just got to shoot my Cooper 204 for the first time friday. I decided to use some factory 40's...the ones that don't shoot.....for breakin. To make a long storey short factory ammo 40 gr hornady was shootin in the 2's and 3's. I'm beside myself. This gun is better then I ever was.

Anything worth doing is worth doing right the first time.

Posts: 411 | Location: Southeastern Pa | Registered: 30 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lofter: Good for you and the Cooper 204! That is some impressive performance! I simply think the 204 Ruger is an inherently accurate cartridge and the quality of 20 caliber bullets out there is wonderful! In addition to the accuracy one must commend the flat trajectory and wind bucking ability of this speedy new factory round! The mild recoil also helps make this cartridge a Varmint Hunters delight!
What scope power do you have on your Cooper 204?
My first two 204's (a Ruger 77 V/T and a Remington VLS) shot the Hornady factory ammo into five shot groups into the 4's, 5's, 6's and low 7's! I considered that good performance let alone what your Rifle is doing which is exceptionally commendable performance!

Williamhill: I just now adjusted my XR-100's trigger from a very pleasing pull weight of 48 ounces (crisp and consistent) down to a really pleasing 32 ounces (still very crisp and consistent!).
Do you have the old XR-100 trigger up for sale if so let me know I may be a player for it?
Your Rifle is performing at a level way above what should be expected from a 600 and some dollar factory Rifle! Good for you and good for Remington for taking a chance on this new XR-100 Model Rifle.
Thanks for the well wishes regarding my new 204! I will let you know how it likes the Hornady factory breakin ammo and then my handloads.
Long live Remington and long live the 204 Ruger!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
question - how do the sierras shoot compared to the hornady's?? I've had some on order for some time now, but here they seem to be scarce as hens teeth.

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Butchbloc: I have not personally shot the Sierras as yet - but I will soon, perhaps tomorrow in my newest 204.
My friends all rave about their accuracy at the range and I have observed them in use in the Varmint fields where they really turn Varmints into mist and flying pieces!
My first couple of 204's are set up with the Berger 35 grainers for this Varmint season.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I made it to the range this morning before the rains and winds set in for the afternoon!
Results were very promising and my new XR-100 in 204 will definitely be a keeper.
I broke the barrel in with Hornady factory 40 gr. ammunition. The barrel cleaned quickly and easily and the rifling appeared to be smooth and consistent the length of the barrel.
My XR-100 did show a definite preference for the 32 gr. Hornady factory ammo although the 40 grain factory ammo shot fairly well also.
Once the barrel was broke in I ended up shooting two 3 shot groups with each weight of Hornady factory ammo.
The 40 grainers groups measured .682" and .752".
The 32 grainers groups measured .326" and .439".
I was VERY pleased with these initial results at the range.
As a thunderstorm approached from the west I turned my attention to an absolute hoarde of Ground Squirrels that frequented the cultivated field next to my friends private range!
I only had 12 rounds of the 32 grain Hornady ammo left and wanted to make "first blood" with the new Varminter a certainty!
I carefully manuevered the VarmintMobile into position where I could shoot across the hood using my Dog-Gone-Good heavy "X" type bag as a rest. I did not have my Leica laser rangefinder along but I am certain I got several of the Ground Squirrels just past 200 yards!
I had wedged the XR-100 into my very heavy "X" bag and the hits were easily verified through the scope the instant after the shot.
To quickly I had gone through my small lot of factory ammo. It would sound to much like bragging if I told the number of Ground Squirrels I killed with those 12 rounds so I won't indulge in that.
But I will say this the new XR-100 is like an automatic death ray on these Sage Rats!
I will return to this private range ASAP with some Sierra 32 gr. handloads in my small stash of now once fired brass.
I am quite sure that this Rifle will make 5 shot groups under .400" with some of my handloads!
On my travels to and from the range I noticed a couple of Doe Antelope walking in their distinctive pre-birthing posture! They walk slowly and with a curved upward spine just before they give birth and I am sure in the next day or two there will be newborn Antelope on the ground!
I also saw lots of Whitetailed Deer and Mule Deer out feeding before the storm arrived.
Now to clean the XR-100 once more and use my Sinclair tool to ascertain how long a throat the new Remington Rifle has. Thats another good thing about single shots you can seat the bullets way out and not have to worry about cartrdige "maximum allowable magazine length"!
I will let you all know how the handloads shoot ASAP!
Long live Remington and long live the 204 Ruger!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

one of us
posted Hide Post
VG, Good report!!! Now as far as the COL goes for the new Remington......somewhere about 2.390!!!! Every one I've tinkered with seems to be in that 2.380-2.400 range!!! Just got in from tinkering with the Model 7 synthetic......same deal!!! The Savage VLP is still the "cream of the crop" though!!! That sucker will shoot!! Hopefully be out your way in August!!! Maybe we can meet up!!! That is unless you're off on the left coast arressting "bad boys"!! "Bad boy, Bad boy"whatcha yu gonna do when they come for you? Bad Boy... Big Grin Big GrinGHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Quarter Round
posted Hide Post
FYI on scope bases. The Leupold Rem. Mdl. 7 bases fit the XR 100. I installed the two piece set with the use of both screws for the rear base. Perfect fit.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quarter Round: I had trouble finding Model 7 bases is the reason I began "experimenting" with the Model 700 Short Action one piece base. Plus the Model 7 one piece base that Leupold makes only comes in shiny blue finish and I wanted the Leupold matte finish so it would go with the XR-100's finish and my Leupold 8.5x25x40mm's matte finish also.
I would have used the Leupold matte finish two piece bases but they were not to be found in the many gunstores I checked at.
Anyway I just through that out there for anyone else that may get in a bind for bases AND find themselves in a hurry like I was!

Ground Hog Devastation: I got a call late last night from a Big Game Hunting buddy of mine and he had been out Spring Black Bear Hunting yesterday and had a close encounter (unsuccessful) with a nice, big, Black Bear 22 miles from my house. He wanted me to go with him today as he was so sure the Bear would be in that same high valley for him to shoot and me to pack out! Anyway I agreed to go with him and got all my gear out and a lunch made and went to bed early and it began raining about 10:00 PM and has not stopped since! We desperately need the rain but the gungho Spring Bear Hunter was not gungho enough to venture out at 0530 hours this AM into REAL rain so he cancelled the trip.
I will have all day to work on and figure out the C.O.A.L. today and will let you know what it turns out to be!
The coast folks wanted me out there again in June but I declined - just to many Varmints to shoot and huge Trout to trick here in Montana!
In August the Ground Squirrels will be down in estivation (summer hibernation) around here but the Prairie Dog shooting way east of me should still be good then! Hope to be around then to visit with you! Call me anytime at 406-683-6888!
More later
Long live the 204!
Hold into the wind!
VarmintGuy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
hey varmit guy - thanks for the report. I was using a #1 rebarreled to 204 lastyear on PD's, & i thought that the 32 grainers blew them up better than the 40's. My xr-100 sure like the 32's better. Seems to hold pretty steady in the .3 category. For that matter so does the #1.

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of lofter
posted Hide Post
VG.......you might not believe this but it's a $200 Mueller 8-25x50. I love the recticle and as long as it performs it's stay'n on there. Saturday I smoked a hog at 447 lasered yds got three more between 320-380. I used a table from a balistics program and so far the ground hogs haven't minded being shot through $200 glass.

Anything worth doing is worth doing right the first time.

Posts: 411 | Location: Southeastern Pa | Registered: 30 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
VarmintGuy-- Sounds like you got yourself one fine rifle there. I hope it continues to shoot better and better for you.

For those asking about the 39 gr. Sierra bullets, I have had nothing but phenomenal success on paper with them. I have so many loads that work just great that I am having a problem choosing just one!!! Here is a target I shot on May 20 using 27.8 gr. of H4895. I have also had super nice small groups using AA2250, N540, and Reloder 10X. The 27.8 gr. load of H4895 velocity listed is at 12.5 feet from the muzzle. That translates into 3,903.5 fps at the muzzle. My other very accurate loads with the other powders are between 3,800 fps and 3,850 fps or so. I am very pleased with the 39 gr. Sierra bullets.

Here's a collage of some other loads that seem mighty fine for the 39 gr. Sierra.

Catch ya L8R

Posts: 192 | Location: Northwest North Dakota | Registered: 19 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Quarter Round
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VarmintGuy:
Quarter Round: I had trouble finding Model 7 bases is the reason I began "experimenting" with the Model 700 Short Action one piece base. Plus the Model 7 one piece base that Leupold makes only comes in shiny blue finish and I wanted the Leupold matte finish so it would go with the XR-100's finish and my Leupold 8.5x25x40mm's matte finish also.
I would have used the Leupold matte finish two piece bases but they were not to be found in the many gunstores I checked at.
Anyway I just through that out there for anyone else that may get in a bind for bases AND find themselves in a hurry like I was!

More later
Long live the 204!
Hold into the wind!
VarmintGuy

I ran into the same problem, I could find the gloss bases, but wanted the mat to match the rifle and scope. Held out until I found a someone willing to work with me. Contacted The Optic Zone and they had a bases to me within days.
Remington Short Action 700 and Mdl. 7 bases fit. Has anyone tried XP-100 bases?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Silverfox: I have copied your info for future use! Thanks for the photo's of your range results also!
I too am puzzled by the 27.3 gr. load giving the 90 F.P.S. slower results than the 27.0 gr. load!?!?
Great shooting there from you by the way with your 204!
I have not purchased any 39 gr. Sierras as yet but it looks like I better do so.
I got lazy today in the morning rains and did not do anything "usefull" but house chores til afternoon. Then I packed up my Ruger 10/22 and my Ruger 77/17V and headed for a nearby Ground Squirrel haunt where I usually clip off 40 or 50 Gophers and move on. This afternoon though there were two brand new Antelope fawns trailing (wobbily!) their respective mothers! These fawns were obviously born today as their wobbliness, umbilicle cords still hanginging and wet matted hair indicated their very recent births. I watched them for a while and did not want to disturb the birthdays by whacking away at Gophers in their proximity! Both mothers licked them often and for a couple minutes at a time! These are the first Antelope fawns I have seen so far this year. And in keeping with learned protective behavior of the mothers the fawns were both within 200 yards of dirt roads. I believe this birthing and staying near roads right after birthing is learned behavior intended to discourage Coyotes from eating the very young Antelope fawns. Coyotes simply will not come within Rifle range of most roads (especially) here in SW Montana!
Anyway these fawns are so close to my home that I will keep an eye on them for a while to make sure Coyotes do not get after them. I have several books on Antelope and it is reported that in 12 to 15 days a fawn Antelope can outrun a Coyote for long enough that the mother Antelope will interceed and bowl over the Coyotes if they give chase to her fawn. I have seen mother Antelope chase both Coyotes and Fox! I saw one poor Fox near Livingston, Montana being chased by a mother Antelope and the Antelope would simply chase and run over the Fox repeatedly! The poor Fox's tongue was hanging out and all it could do was dart around in small circles trying to avoid the hooves. The mother Antelope would repeatedly cut off the Fox's direction of travel toward the nearest fence. I finally tired of watching the chasing and drove on myself.
Anyway its a tenuous day at best for an Antelope to be born here in Montanas high valleys. We got over .75" of cold rain in the last 18 hours and there is snow just 4 or 500 feet up the sidehills of my valley! More rain and thundershowers are forecast for the next couple of days! The sun has been out for the last three hours thankfully but the clouds are enveloping all 7 mountain ranges I can see from my house! Snow and rain are falling in all directions around me. I hope for the best regarding the Antelope fawns born today.
I also saw several Rabbits and lots of Mule Deer on my afternoon venture.
Another wonderful day in Montana!
Long live the 204!
And thanks again for the load info, photos and your comments!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quarter Round: Thanks for the lead on the Optic Zone site! I have bookmarked it.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
It must be the year we have had, I have also noted more ground squirels than ever before around here, we used to see lots of potguts for lack of a better name, but these seem much bigger, aproaching praire dog size, they make fun targets though, I especially like it when they are blown a couple feet into the air and flip end over end

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Had a great day today with the XR-100! In between rain squalls and hail drops! Finally just after noon the air stabilized here (which is unusual for mid-days around here!) and I packed up my XR-100 and 20 rounds of handloads I made a few nights ago and headed for my protected from the wind private Rifle range.
I had loaded up ten rounds each of ammo using H 4895 powder and the powder Ground Hog Devastation suggests for 204's AA 2230!
I was using the Sierra 32 gr. Blitz King bullets in both test loads and used Federal 205M primers exclusively. I was also using Hornady brass - all 20 rounds of brass were once fired in my XR-100 and they originally were Hornady factory rounds.
The barrel was freshly cleaned and I fired one Hornady factory round to foul the barrel (if it needed it)!
The H 4895 rounds proved just a touch more accurate and I will emphasize I was impressed with both loads accuracy wise!
The H 4895 loads gave two five shot groups at 100 yards in good conditions of .322" and .402" for an average of .362"!
The AA 2230 loads gave two five shot groups at 100 yards in good conditions of .374" and .421" for an average of .374"!
I was thrilled with both loads and will have a hard time deciding which load to use.
The only "fly in the ointment" was that both loads gave me a tiny bit of cratering around the firing pin indentation! The Hornady factory round I fired for fouling today made no noticeable cratering at all! The loads I used I will not put into print therefore - but I will say that I am a notorious non-hotrodder when it comes to my handloads! No other pressure signs were observed at all! If anything I am wondering if not enough powder was used in my loads. I went with laods way under what had been recommended by my sources! I will do some measuring of brass and check my primer pockets for any loosening!
I am puzzled by this tiny bit of cratering, none the less?
I did get treated to watching several young pup Foxes (kits?) frolic in the mouth of their den not 300 yards from my shooting shack! They would sometimes dart away at my shots but most often just looked around for their mother to bring food! I never saw the adult and the range owner told me at times there are 7 Fox at that den! He asked me not to shoot them and of course I wouldn't anyway. The Fox around here have been recently decimated by the mainge! I will give them another few years to recover before I resume Hunting and calling them around here!
I was just as happy as could be with the new XR-100 and the last group I did not give the normal 2 - 3 minutes between shots but just fired it when conditions were as near calm as it was gonna be! That group measured .374" so the Rifle seems to be a "non-stringer" if you know what I mean!
I have a Leupold 8.5x25x40mm scope on this XR-100 and the only thing I have done to the Rifle was to adjust the 40X style (externally adjustable) trigger down a bit from its factory setting.
I may go a few ounces lower in the future and then again I may just leave it where it is.
On my way out of the ranch I stopped and finished off a box of Hornady 32 gr. factory ammo in a field full of Ground Squirrels!
I missed a couple of the bobbing and weaving little grass rats but I also got one double out of three I tried for.
I began using these rounds up shooting over my large size window sand bag. And it was somewhat "balanced" on the window bag. I was still able to reclaim sight picture nearly instantly after the shot and would see Gopher parts still climbing. For my last several shots though I got out and used my large "X" type "clamping" bag over the hood of the VarmintMobile. This method DOES allow for full identification of hit results!
Once the Hornady factory ammo was used up I got out my 17 HMR's (my Ruger 77/17 V/T and my Smith and Wesson Model 647 revolver). I shot about 40 more Gophers and decided to call it a day!
On the 20 mile drive home I saw some more new fawn Antelope. I again grimaced as the temperature was 49 degrees then and the winds and rains are predicted to increase in the near future! I hope the newborns will survive this bout of bad weather! I saw many Whitetail Deer out feeding on the drive home but no fawns were observed with them.
I really am impressed with this new XR-100! I could not be happier with it! I consider it money well invested! Or spent - as I will surely not sell this one! Its a keeper for sure.
Long live the 204!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

PS: I need to update this posting in that the next day I examined my Hornady factory ammunition (once fired!) and under good light and some slight magnification I was able to discern the same small amount of cratering around the firing pin indentation of these factory rounds as in my handloads. The factory primers are gold colored (Remington?) and in the light of my shooting shack the slight cratering did not appear as distinctly as it did at home under good light and magnification. Again both factory and handloads showed no other pressure signs at all! The primers were not flattened at all around their edges and remained rounded as normal.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey you guys, I've got a BURRIS Model 7 base(gloss) and a set of rings(gloss)(Medium or Lows.....ain't sure which but think mediums!!) for your Model 7's!!! Let me know, pay the shipping, and they're yours!!! ONLY FOR USE ON .204 RUGERS!!!!(not necesarrily "ruger" rifles, just that particular chambering!! VG........that last comment was for you!!!! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ground Hog Devastation: Thanks for the offer! But I am set myself!
Where were you a week ago???
Naw just kidding I was heart set on a set of matte bases and rings for my matte XR-100
Thanks again
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm straining at the bit to try a Remington XR-100. Unfortunately I'm a leftie and don't know if later Remington will make this rifle in a southpaw model. It sounds like a real winner. Congratulations to you guys who have one. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Cal Sibley

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I too am puzzled by the 27.3 gr. load giving the 90 F.P.S. slower results than the 27.0 gr. load!?!?

I have no explanation for that but it is fairly common in my experience. It may reflect coincedence in random variation or some other aspect of internal ballistics. How big is the data sample? Seen it happen with small capacity cases and large.

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Varmint Guy, I have a Remington 700 VLS that I have been working up loads for using GHD's load info. The AA2230 has been a real pleasure to use. I found that AA2230 and IMR4198 had one thing in common when it came to this rifle, the closer to max the better it grouped. I had the pleasure of trying both loads out on 'dogs' a couple of weeks ago using Hornady 32gr V-MAX and the GM205M primers. After several hundred rounds, not one sign of excessive pressure.

I believe in life, liberty, and pursuit of the S.O.B.'s that threaten them.

Posts: 130 | Location: East central Kansas | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cal Sibley: My friend Jack from Yelm, Washington is left handed and he bought last year a new Ruger #1-V in stainless steel laminated stock model in caliber 204 Ruger. This Rifle is extremely accurate and has the heavy 26" stainless barrel.
He is very happy with it and has a Bausch & Lomb high power variable scope on it (8x25 I think?). He is do over here in Montana in a few weeks but we Hunted Varmints last year with that Rifle of his (Prairie Dogs, Jack rabbits and Rock Chucks) and that Ruger #1 was like a laser on all types of Varmints. Over the years I have had mixed results accuracy wise with the many Ruger #1's I have owned - but this 204 #1-V is the best shooting #1 I have ever seen in person!
Just a thought.
Remington may just burst forth with a left handed 204 but I am guessing it will be a 700 first and maybe the XR-100 later!
Anyay just a thought and a recommendation for you on how to join the 204 fan club in a factory Rifle.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

one of us
posted Hide Post
JBHewitt: Thanks for the recommendations. I need to get out my Oehler chronograph and see what my H4895 and AA 2230 loads are doing FPS wise. They both shoot so well that I think I will go with the load that is faster in my Rifle. That AA 2230 powder sure meters easy (fine ball powder) and burns clean in my Rifle.
I am just thrilled and amazed with the performance of these Sierra 32 gr. Blitz Kings in my and my friends 204's in the field on Varmints! Even on real small Varmints like Ground Squirrels and Weasels!
Thanks again.
Long live the 204!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Varmintguy,

Thanks for the information. This is the third cartridge based on the .222Rem. Mag. that has been a tack driving round. I have the .22Rem. Mag. and am thrilled with it. The 6x47 was neither fish nor fowl, but quite popular for awhile with the benchrest crowd. Now we have the .204Ruger, and these reports make it sound every bit as accurate as its predecessors. It won't take me long to get one in my gun cabinet, you can bet on it. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Cal Sibley

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote