New
Find
Notify
Tools

204 vs 222
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I love my 222 and wouldnt ever want to not have 1, but I keep hearing how good the 204 is. If I were to get a 204 it would be for fun on the range and plinking, so for all u good people out there, I want the truth the whole thruth and nothing but the truth! how good is the 204? whats it like in the wind? how fast are your reloads? and whats the drop like at 300 + yards?

Posts: 290 | Location: N.Ireland | Registered: 12 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the 204 velocities aren't quite up to factory specs, probably most are in the 39-4000 ft range. accuracy is very good, it buck the wind better than does a 40 or 50 gr out of the 222, it has a trajectory close to that of the 22/250. all in all i really like the 204. its not going to replace any of my 22's but its a fun gun to shoot

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd play with a 204, but there is NO way I'd ever replace a 223 with a 204....and that goes with a 222...

I bet you'd regret giving up the time proven 222, if you replaced it with a 204...

If you are just looking for an extra rifle.. then go for the 204...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Savage M12 Long Range Precision Varmint (LRPV) shoots tiny 5 shot clover-leaf groups consistantly. I've settled on the 32 grain bullet and chronograph average 4074 fps. I'm zeroed 2.5 inches high @ 100 yds and pretty much hold center out to 400 yards. Like all light bullets the wind does have an effect. What I like most about the .204 Ruger is the ability to see bullet impact through the scope when I don't have a spotter.

Same as you, I love my .222 Remington. The whole truth and nothing but the truth is the .204 Ruger is a "must have".

Good shooting.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
308mate
If I were to pick one of my rifles for varmints, preditors or target it would be this one! Now don't get me wrong, I still love my 223 and my 221 FireBall.

The following is the result of testing my 26 inch TC Encore!

Date: April
Temp ..... 44 deg F.
Barrel .... 26 inch TC Factory barrel
Case ...... Hornady
Bullet ..... 32 grain Hornady V-Max
Primer ... CCI 450
Powder .. 23.0 grains IMR 4198
O.A.L. .... 2.265 inches
3-Shot muzzle velocity average .. 4125 fps @20 ft!
3-Shot group center to center ..... .330 inches @100 Yds

I bought 32 grain Hornady factory ammo and used the fired brass for my reloads!
NOTE: I was getting 3/8 inch groups with the factory 32 grain ammo! I was surprised and pleased!
I tried some 40 grain factory ammo and the best I could get was a 5-6 inch group and the bullets all keyholed!

Chuck - Retired USAF- Life Member, NRA & NAHC

Posts: 454 | Location: Russell (way upstate), NY - USA | Registered: 11 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Like all light bullets the wind does have an effect.
This is a lot less of a problem with 22 caliber 50 and 55 grain bullets than the lighter 32 grain 204 bullets..

What I like most about the .204 Ruger is the ability to see bullet impact through the scope when I don't have a spotter.

This is the nice thing about the 223 and using Blue Dot... recoil is reduced enough that you can also see your hits within scope sight picture....PLUS the barrel doesn't heat anywhere near as much as a 204 or most other calibers using that much powder...

The only thing the 204 has for it over the 223 and Blue Dot is flatter shooting and longer range....

But having a 223 loaded with Blue Dot loads and a 22.250 setting there for those 350 to 400 yd shots.. I'd chose that over a 204 any day!

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Using a 39 gr sierra BK or a 40 gr nosler with the 204 will be flatter and have less wind drift than any of the 22 calibers. In my opinion the 204 wins in this category hands down. Super accuracy and seeing your impacts through the scope make it a winner in my books. As for the barrel heating up, I've been out whackin sod poodles with it doing a lot of trigger work and no issues with over heating. But then again you still need to keep your 222. Just get yourself a 204 and enjoy. You won't be sorry.

Savage Vaporizer

Posts: 93 | Location: Ft. Saskatchewan, Alberta, Canada | Registered: 19 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks guys, I'll never replace the 222 but I do have a "spair" H&S kevlar stock for a CZ 527 if I were to get acheap 223 527 and use the action, then get a nice new heavy barrel cut in 204 it could be good fun! BOOM

Posts: 290 | Location: N.Ireland | Registered: 12 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why in the world would you pick one over the other. You need both.

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SEAFIRE!!! You need some serious range/varmint field time with a .204!! ..............have you had any or are you just spouting what you read???
1)WIND......no discernable difference in WIND DRIFT or TRAJECTORY(actually less than 1") of the 32 grain VMAX vs a 55gr. VMAX from a 22-250 or a Swift at 3700fps! (AND TO SOMEONE ELSE WHO POSTED ON FACTORY STATED VELOCITY) 100 factory loaded 32 grain VMaxs from a SAVAGE VLP averaged 4146fps! 40 factory loaded REMINGTON 32 gr loadings AVERAGED EXACTLY 4225fps as stated!!
2)Recoil????????????What's that?? When shooting a .223 or .204 or .222 or .222MAG???????? None existent!! Allows one to see the puff of "red mist".............good wind.........allows the shooter to follow it for 4-5 seconds until it dissapates!!
350-400 yards???????????? Why would you go to one of the HOT 224's if that's all you're stretching?????????? Inquiring minds want to know!! VARMINT SHOOTING STARTS AT 400 yards!! 250-400 with the .223 or the .204..............misses are your own damn fault!! I LOVE THE LITTLE PUFFS OF RED MIST and the undeniable "THWAP" of the bullet..............even with hearing protection on!!!Long live the .204!! Based on a tried and true case....the .222MAGNUM!! GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
SEAFIRE!!! You need some serious range/varmint field time with a .204!! ..............have you had any or are you just spouting what you read???

Naw GHD....

I am just observing my 223s, doing the exact same thing that everyone is claiming the 204 is so hot about...

I just debunked my need for one....

Now I am working on talking myself out of a 17 Fireball.... lol

Even being in the field with guys shooting a 204, I didn't see them doing anything, that me and the old 223s weren't doing right along side of them...

I also have a couple of 17 HMRs in the gunsafe, getting dusty is about the only activity they actively partipate in on a regular basis.......
That is why I am looking closely at the 17 Fireball...

I am skipping interest in the 204... but think seriously of getting a 20 BR barrel...or even playing with doing a 19 Calhoon bullet on the BR case...a 19BR Seafire? Maybe... bewildered lol

My opinion is not so much pissing on the 204, as much as it is maintaining faith in the capabilities of a handloaded 223...

If I was all on fire about a 20 caliber... I see either the 20 Fireball as a good idea for more efficiency... or the 20BR for the blazing faster speed.. or the ability to use a .473 bolt face...

Being a handloader, the 204 just doesn't appeal to me... and I don't purchase store bought ammo anymore...

But I am sure you won't fault a fellow varmint shooter for that...

NOW let me bore you with my current project..
A 6mm Rem, on a Mauser action with a 31 inch straight bull barrel with a one in 8 twist....
once finished it will be a 20 lb rifle at least..

out of the 24 inch Rem with that cartridge, and that twist... a 75 grain HP leaves the barrel at about 3700 fps...It ought to be interesting to see what the 31 inch bull barrel will do!

That ought to smack a Giles County ground hog, from a shooting position over in Monroe County!
BOOM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
VARMINT SHOOTING STARTS AT 400 yards!!

only for guys with eye sight better than Seafire's Charlie!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just think seafire, "You coulda had a 25-06!!" Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin WinkGHD

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah but Charlie,

Then I would be just like you... and you would have less to rib me about.....

But since I have a 6mm Rem and you have a one upmanship on me on that.. I will leave out also having the same cartridge that will equal the 25/06, and use less powder... they are called the 260 Rem or the 6.5 x 57 Mauser.....

Anyone can buy a 25/06.. but a 260 Varmint Rig or a 6.5 x 57 Varmint rifle has to be put together by the user..

which just makes it all the more cooler and debonaire! dancing

BOOM

one of us
posted Hide Post
seafire, One of these days we'll meet up for a VARMINT KILLIN!! We'll get along just fine!! And while we're at it, we'll use those SPECIALZED .260's for the far off stuff!! Big Grin GHD

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a plan.. one of these days, if gas ever gets cheap again, lol I'll make a trip back your way to visit relatives...

we'll have to get together....

you ever get a hankerin to come out this way to hunt some elk ( deer ain't worth the trip!) or shoot some of our varmints.. give me a shout..

you already have a base camp set up and waitin to go, right here!

one of us
posted Hide Post
seafire, I, over the last three days, have determined that the 140AMAX fired from a .260 with a 26" barrel at 2760fps will put a "reounding" "THWAP" on a groundhog!! And the "red mist" factor can be pretty cool too!! I tested them on short stuff just to see the effects and at 250 yards they work GREAT!! The hay wasn't cut so the planned "EXPEDITION" didn't occur yesterday and today! BUT!! Next week may be a different story!! 7-800 yards is going to happen!! 1000 is not out of the question!! Big Grin Wink GHD