THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    load info for the 36gr grenades

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

load info for the 36gr grenades
 Login/Join

posted
I've been reading some of the info on the new Barnes 36gr grenade bullets that replaced the 40gr Varmin A tors. None of my loading books have anything in them for less than the 40gr bullets in 22-250.
Does anyone know where I can find the loading data? I've been using Barnes, Vmax and Speer in 5ogr over Varget and standard win primers with great results. But I am always trying something different.
The new 36gr grenades sound like they have more terminal performance and a lot less chance of ricochet.

Posts: 24 | Location: Des Moines, IA | Registered: 24 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
just use the 40 gr info. they're lighter but the same length as a 52 gr. 40 gr infor has been working fine for me

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
This is what I reeived from Barnes
Hi Greg

These new Varmint Grenade bullets have a highly frangible copper/ tin core
that was developed for military applications. Their scored jacket design and
no velocity limit make them a great choice for varmint hunting.
At this time we don't have load data for the 36gr Varmint Grenade bullets.
We are recommending the use of our 50gr VLC load data or your favorite 40gr
uncoated data from other manuals/ manufacturers.

Thanks, Ty

We Aim to please, reloading is a great hobby, enjoy it.

Ty Herring
Barnes Bullets
Customer Service Director
P.O. Box 215
American Fork
Utah 84003
Tel 801-756-4222
1-800-574-9200
Fax 801-756-4222
Email: email@barnesbullets.com
http://www.barnesbullets.com <http://www.barnesbullets.com/>

Posts: 24 | Location: Des Moines, IA | Registered: 24 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, it may be hot, but it was fine in several of my 223s..

I used a load of 27 grains of RL 7, under a 37 grain Calhoon HP in 223....

I shot a gray squirrel with it, that popped its head out when I was out in the woods... hit it in the shoulder and a head, a tail and a big blood splat on the tree were what was left...

velocity was about 3850fps..

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I loaded some of the 36 grin Varmit Grenades last weekend for my 22-250. I used 39 grains of Varget in a Winchester case primed with CCI Benchrest primers. Average velocity was 4025 with no pressure signs. They are fun, very low recoil, highly explosive on Pdogs, Ground Squirrels. I started out at .010 off the lands. The first loads grouped around 5/8 inch. I'll play with seating depth and powder charges later.

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I haven't been able to locate any yet Mad
Hope to get some so I can start doing some load test before this years Prairie poodle trip.