Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

25-06 ackly
 Login/Join

posted
I am thinking of getting my model 700 Remington rebarreled to a 25-06 ackly imp. I use this rifle(factory) for deer antelope and coyote. Anyone with any load info on their own ackly, I would appreciate it.
Thanks

posted Hide Post
Howdy, Sub! I'm guessing you have a std 25-06 now. The Ackley is fun to play with if you like making brass. And, it(brass) seems to last longer. I haven't found any barnburner loads that are as accurate as the lighter ones.

You probably have a 10 twist bbl, so would be allright with all bullets. You might want to give some thought as to what bullet you want to shoot, and throat the bbl for it. I 'spose keep it SAAMI to use all bullets. Be hard to put 75's and 90's in a std throat, tho'.

You will need to FF with just under max std loads, Ackley advised a 'stiff' load to FF. You can adjust from there. Every gun is a thing unto itself, and will require experimentation to find the best load.

Be sure the smith knows about making Ackley chambers, they must be 4-6 thou short to give a 'crush' fit to std cases. And/or, you can second shoulder 270 or 3006 cases. 270's will require trimming .050 to fit,tho'
]
Email me with any questions. I've only done one, but have learned a BUNCH doing it. Having fun,tho'. Good luck, -Howard
[EMAIL]hch358@attbi.com[/EMAIL soon to become hch358@comcast.net, I think???

Posts: 2 | Location: Denver, Colorado | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I had the same idea, I was going to use a sendero sf and walked into my local gun store someone had just sold a new Weatherby 257 mag so that ended my quest for the ackley you may want to consider having a barrel made to shoot light bullets, I call it treating coyotes like ground squirls good luck

Posts: 2 | Location: Central coast Cal | Registered: 03 July 2003Reply With Quote
<RAG>
posted
Sub,

You'll enjoy the 25-06 Ackely. I load for too many cartridges and can't recall the exact quantity of powder, but I got the best accuracy and velocity using a stiff load of Reloader 19 behind a 100 grain Partition, producing an average of 3,590 fps out of my 26" tube. Admittingly, I only get 4 or 5 firings with this load before some of the primer pockets beging to loosen up, at which time I start with a new lot; using Lapua brass I can get 8-10 firings. I'd back off the load, but the groups don't start to tighten up till I surpass 3,550 fps with this rifle. Anyways, try R19, choose a safe starting point, and work your way up. Enjoy.