New
Find
Notify
Tools

Prairie dog expedition
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A friend and I just got back from a three day prairie dog hunt on private land in northern Wyoming. I got about 500 or 600 over the three days using a Savage LRPV 204, a Remington 700VS 223, a Dakota Alpine 243, a custom Ruger 77 lightweight sporter 22-250, and a Colt SAA 45 Colt. Actually got one at 50 yards with the revolver which was fun. Got a few at about 450 yards with the 223 and some at 360 yards from prone with the 22-250. My partner got one at 520 yards (measured with a range finder) with a Ruger VT in 308 for the longest shot of the hunt. Most of the shooting was between 200 and 300 yards. Had a lot of fun and made my longest shots ever.

Posts: 664 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
Nice report and some good shooting. I'd like to have seen the .45 shot. I'll bet that was a charge. Well done.

Posts: 2155 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It WAS a lot of fun...

Posts: 664 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Burns,

Who did you hunt with? I wiuld love to hunt PB's, but I live in NYC.

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was with DCPC Varmint Hunts. Phone: 1-800-835-2130 Web site: www.huntvarmints.com They are good folks and have lots of good private land but they are pricey at $200 a day per hunter. I got fair value for the money, but wouldn't want to do it every week, if you get my drift...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Two Hundred per day might be a reasonable price, depending on what you get for that. Is lodging, meals, refreshments, transportation, shooting benches or rests, or anything else included? Or do you just get shown to the PD town and permission to trespass? After all, $200 per day is about the 2x1 daily rate for a ranch hunt in Namibia, and that gets you food, lodging, guide, tracking, skinning, transportation, and maybe even a Windhoek Draft or Tafel Lager.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
Did you have to pay to hunt PDs on the rancher's land?

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Benches, chairs, and bags were supplied if needed. Everything else was on your own. The outfitter took us to each ranch property, gave us a basic tour, and turned us loose on our own for the rest of the day each day.