THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Thinking of Building a .17 Rem.

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thinking of Building a .17 Rem.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Last year I purchased a 8mm German Mauser action made by Deutsche Waffen, Berlin. I'm thinking it was manufactured sumetime during WW11, but it looks brand new.

At first I wanted to build a .419 Rigby just to have a .419 but then I got to thinking of my Son-In-Laws farm which is full of Coyotes.

Would a .17 Remington be the ticket for Coyotes?

Thanks for any inf.

Posts: 193 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No it won't be in my opinion. Will it be fun? yes it sure will be, will it kill one ? yes it sure will.
Is it the best choice? not by a long shot it is not.
The 17 is a coyote skinners wet dream, but there are far better choices for taking coyotes if you are not into skinning for the pelts.
If you do just have to have a 17 then load the darn thing down to about no more than 3500 fps or you will for sure have some runners.

And even if you do load it down some stay away from shoulder shots.
Slip one in behind the shoulder and it will kill a coyote like he had a stroke with nary a drop of blood to leak out.
hit him on the shoulder and more than likely he sill run off packing it.
Save the trouble if your not a skinner and get a 243.

(When I was a kid my father used to tell me that God hated a coward, I finally realized he has even less use for a fool.)

Posts: 887 | Location: Northwest Az | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you really want a 17REM there is a BDL in my shop that has been shot less than 20 times, immaculate and beautiful with Leupold bases on it. It could be had for $560.00 shipped including the factory ammo left for it. It shot well for the guy who bought it but has been a safe queen for 10 years or more. As far as building a 17Rem on a 98 action.........I'd think that a bit overkill. But then again, us rifle nuts do strange things time and again! GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
building a 17 on a 98 action is lots of work. the action and bolt face are to big at 560 I'd jump on the remmy bdl. 17 get a bunch of bad press for fouling etc., but i think mostly by guys who don't have one. I've got a couple and neither fouled any worse than any other hi velocity round. they don't like the wind to much, but so far as a yote round goes, within say 200-250 its deadly. 300 out, it's lost to much velocity for yotes. when you shoot one and go pick it up the thing will just gurgle cause the insides are jello. Its a bit of a specialty round, but so what its fun

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
I know it is overbore, but a 17 BR would LOOK cool at least...

or a 20 BR would be a little more practical...

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of oopswasthatyourdog?
posted Hide Post
If fur is your goal there are many good calibers to choose from. The 416 rigby is not one of them. Big Grin
If you really want a .17 how about the .17 Javelina, or the 17/223. You better be a good marksman because bullet placement will be very important.
The 204 ruger, 220swift, 22-250, would be better calibers for yotes.
I live in an area that doesn't have enough yotes to really consider the work it takes to skin them so it's the 243 for me. Much better in the wind and will take them out from very far! Cool

I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.
- John Diefenbaker (From the Canadian Bill of Rights, July 1, 1960.)

Posts: 104 | Location: St-Athanase, Quebec, Canada | Registered: 16 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
I have shot a few coyote with my little Sako AI .17 Rem., with all shots being less than 100 yds. Although none ran off, the little round doesn't instill much confidence. My goto guns are 223, and for more open country my 243. Given the size of your donor action I would consider the 243, 6mm Rem, or 25-06. Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote