THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Anybody getting the itch yet????

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody getting the itch yet????
 Login/Join

<Boyd Heaton>
posted
This one is sleeping...... [Big Grin]  -

one of us
posted Hide Post
Boyd,

Woodchucks are really scarce in my current stomping grounds of Western Vermont. We made search of the area more than once and did not even see one!

So now it's "coyote revenge" time. At least that's what I am blaming it on.

Woodchucks were a lot more shooting and fun for me however.

[ 01-11-2003, 23:00: Message edited by: Savage99 ]

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Boyd Heaton: Yes I am getting very restless here in SW Montana. I bought my Trappers License which allows me to Rifle Hunt Bobcats (they opened on December 1st for Trapping and Rifle Hunting). And I bought my Mt. Lion tag which allowed me to Hunt Cougar all through the Big Game season and through March 1st (?) or until the quotas per Hunting area are achieved. Normally the quotas are filled in less than a week for most areas of SW Montana but this year there is no snow in the foothills (where the Mule Deer winter) and the hound Hunters are just not able to get their hounds on fresh tracks or onto a track going in the correct direction! So the season is still open in most areas for Cougars also. But tough Hunting without the Mule Deer concentrated or fresh tracking snow! I am going on a Buffalo Hunt though this week and that might calm my jitters a bit. Coyotes and Fox are around though and I will be getting after them again next week for sure.
Pray for snow!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
<Boyd Heaton>
posted
This one is not sleeping. [Eek!] [Big Grin]  -

one of us
posted Hide Post
Boyd: Did you get him with the pistol or is that your backup Gun?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
<Boyd Heaton>
posted
Nope,he was shot at 450 yard's with a 300 Ultra.Pushing 220gr MK's at 3200.....That pistol is for poking down hole's....45 Colt........

one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
Nice Chuck, I wasn't so lucky this morning on a coyote hunt. We tried to call in a couple spots but nobody was home or at least the weren't answering the door/dinner bell.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Baldeagle 713>
posted
Nice pics Boyd,
I got some new SMK's for the 270 AND as soon as the weather worms up I'll beable to tell ya how fast I'm slingin em. Beta Crony< Book said it has to be above 32 degrees Farinhight to work. Also got some 100 Grain HP Spear Bullets to try out. I already know wich one's will shoot the best [Roll Eyes] [Smile]

<Boyd Heaton>
posted
Jody,Stopped to check on Killer today.Barrel is chambered.Brake is being put on Monday or tuesday.Will be ready to shoot the end of next week... [Big Grin]

<Baldeagle 713>
posted
Cool,Boyd
Maybe it will be worm enough to use the crony!
AH yea I got a 22xWA eye piece commin! One more to find. [Big Grin] Have a tripod commin for the BIG EYEs also. I should be ready to go come Feb 2. Any one up for a trip to punksitony? [Roll Eyes] Just kiddin. about the trip.

[ 01-12-2003, 07:55: Message edited by: Baldeagle 713 ]

<mike elmer>
posted
Hiya Boyd.

Funny you should ask, I have been getting the itch to get my reloading bench in order and finish working up a new load for the 25-06. The 223 is ready except for loading a fresh batch of ammo for the summer. The .357 needs some shots to blow the cobwebs out of the cylinder and get some fresh .22 Mag ammo and do a sight-in. I have also been considering taking the smokestick out for hogs this year if I have the time.

Last year was a year from hell for me, a very sick wife who passed away in July of this summer, so my hunting was abruptly stopped to take care of my 2 youngun's (2 and 7), babysitters are the order of the day for the 2 yr old if I want to get into the field. I cannot wait till she is about 4 or 5 to take her along if she is interested. The boy has been stepping in my tracks while groundhog hunting since he was 5, and although he doesn't sit still too well, the groundhogs don't seem to mind. I think they like to look at the strange pair we make in the field and so afford me some interesting hunts.....hehehe.

I am full of hope for a much better summer this year. Good luck to you. 1000 yds is a long way out there. I have a really nice Win. Sporter rifle in .300 Win. Mag. that I would love to try at 1000 yds sometime.

Mike

<Boyd Heaton>
posted
Mike let me know.I would be more than happy to show you around Williamsport sometime......I am also Very sorry to hear of the loss of your wife.It make's you think.You must live life to it's fullest.Because you never know....Good luck to you and your's......

<mike elmer>
posted
Boyd,

Thankyou for the invite...I used to get up into the Pine Creek Gorge every year, and would love to get up around Williamsport again. I never did any groundhog hunting up there, and would enjoy a hunt up around there. The 1000 yd shooters up there have quite a good reputaion with us flatlanders down here, and I am always interested in seeing kind of performance a person can wring out of a rifle. I also have some good areas to hunt hogs down here, and the invite is extended to you, also.

Thankyou for your sympathy, and it is the truth, you grab all the good living you can while you are here. Fortunately my wife had lived a very full and exciting life in her younger years. She had lived in Kenya for about 3 years after she graduated from the University of Illinois, and she was an avid equestrian woman who worked as a groom for most of her years with pacers at the Meadowlands. I even have some pics of her at the rifle range with my 22 Mag. and a target she shot at 100 yds with it.(smile)

Non the less, it was a very tough way to leave this world, and I hope no-one ever has to experience what she lived through during the last year.

Thanks again.

Mike

<Boyd Heaton>
posted
Hi Mike.Not many hog's around here anymore [Big Grin] .I drove to erie last summer to hunt them.Got a few...Got a deal for you.....I'll take you and show you around the 1000 yard range.....And you take me hog hunting.......Sound fair???????

<mike elmer>
posted
Hello Boyd,

Sounds like a great proposition to me! I'll be busy till Memorial Day, but it should be easy enough to get together after that. I also have a place to stay near Mifflinburg, so if it looks like I will be getting up there before the summmer, I'll drop you an e-mail to see if we can get together before summer.

The hog hunting isn't much down here till after Memorial day. After the 1st cutting of hay is the best.

Thankyou again for the offer!

Mike

<Boyd Heaton>
posted
Sound's like a plan......I can't wait for spring... [Big Grin] [Big Grin]