THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Best time of year for PD's in Southern Wyoming?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best time of year for PD's in Southern Wyoming?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted
I called the rancher who's land we're hunting antelope on this September to let him know we got the tags and will be up in September. During the conversation he asked me why I never come up and shoot prairie dogs during other parts of the year?

Well, that's all the invitation that I need so I wanted to ask if anyone on here could tell me what's the best time of year to go PD hunting in the area between Rawlins and Cheyenne?

It's about 14 hours of driving from where I live so I would probably only get up there 2-3 times a year for a 3-4 day shoot. What weeks should I block out for next year?

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12688 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't know about Wyoming but I do know that landowners that have them want you to shoot them year round. I shoot them in Jan, March, April, May, June, this month in two weeks, Oct. and Dec. here in CO. I would go more often but I do have to work occasionally.

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Fjold,

I've never hunted p-dogs in Wyoming; however, where I hunt them in the panhandle of Oklahoma, I've found that mid to late May and June are the best times. Why? Because the pups are starting to venture out of the burrows and they are STUPID!!!!!!!

You can literally whipe out an entire litter with some well placed shots. I like to pick one on the outside of the group and shoot him. After the shot, the others will run over and huddle around him asking, "What happened to Jim?' Then you pick the one on the opposite side and shoot him. They then run over to Sally trying to figure out what happened to her. You keep doing this until you either run out of bullets or live targets.

Damn, it is a blast when they are young and stupid like this!!!

Then again, any time is a good time to shoot p-dogs in my book!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Laner
posted Hide Post
My brother lives in eastern WY. I was up last August and didnt have any problem finding targets. Dirt dog towns here in KS are piss poor compared to the sprawling metropolises of Wyoming. I'm fairly certain the dogs in the very back of the patch we shot had never seen human beings before. What a hoot. Going back in October this year.

Arguing on the internet is like competing in the Special Olympics; even if you win, you're still retarded.

Posts: 99 | Location: Hays, Kansas | Registered: 02 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Arguing on the internet is like competing in the Special Olympics; even if you win, you're still retarded.

Now thats funny right there.......

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We used to go shoot prairie dogs in both South Dakota and Wyoming. We tried various times, but seemed to have the best luck any time after Memorial Day.

Too early and the pups may not be out yet, too late and the darned grass is too high.

About any time in June is fine. Having said that, I have shot prairie dogs about any time from mid May till it snows too much for them to be out. Not far from Douglas, WY one time we shot the heck out of them a few days after a major blizzard, in late September.

You should be able to knock off a few while you are up there hunting antelope if you want. We used to hunt out of Rawlins and always went a few days early to shoot dogs.

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have hunted pdogs around Saratoga, Wy. several times and have been told that by the last part of August they have pretty much headed down their holes for the season.

Last year around the 10th of August they were starting to get a little scarce.

Good luck.

Shep

Posts: 55 | Location: kalispell,mt | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I've always shot them along with antelope hunts at the end of September with no problem, I was wondering how early in the spring the pups would be out and if the shooting is good through the whole summer.

Our ground squirrels here go almost nocturnal in July and August because of the heat.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12688 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot them in May june July August with out any trouble. It all has been fun.

Posts: 19569 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I start shooting them in May, and continue through August.

Posts: 86 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 17 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of reverenddan
posted Hide Post
I would chip in my .02

I begin as early as I can hunt without a jacket and go on through until they begin to go down in August.

Of course I live here and drive a short way and come home for dinner. If I was blocking out a week I would go in June or July. By then the kids will be big enough and everyone is staying up most of the day but it generally isn't too hot to stay out.

Most people are bothered by those portions of Scripture they do not understand, it is the passages I do understand that bother me. (Twain)

Posts: 203 | Location: Missouruh | Registered: 01 October 2004Reply With Quote