THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Bullet that won't destroy prairie dog meat?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bullet that won't destroy prairie dog meat?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Found these on the web--guess I'll have to switch to head shots only.....

Prairie Dog Pie

Clean, skin and cut two prairie dogs into small pieces. Soak in salted water, or water with a little vinegar added, changing water several times. Drain, dry and roll in seasoned flour. Saut� in pork or bacon fat until slightly browned, then place in greased pie dish or bowl, add two cups liquid (made up of wine, cider, beer, crushed fruit , or a little vinegar, and water or stock), salt and pepper, one thinly sliced onion, herbs of your choice. Cover and cook on top stove for 1 �, or in moderate oven for two hours. Remove and thicken the stock with a little flour. Take out part of the gravy and add tomatoes, sauce or catsup, to serve with the pie. Meanwhile, cover meat dish with pastry or biscuit dough, slit for steam to escape, and bake for 20 minutes in hot oven.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BBQ Prairie Dog

1st. Take as many prairie dogs as you would like add salt and pepper. 2nd. Put prairie dogs on grill, bbq whatever let cook for a while, then add some liquid smoke or soy sauce on top and around prairie dogs. 3rd. When the prairie dogs are almost done cooking smear BBQ sauce all over the prairie dogs and let cook until done...( you can use any BBQ sauce you would like or you can try my very own recipe) located at below

BBQ SAUCE FOR PRAIRIE DOG 1 cup brown sugar
2 1/2 cup ketchup
3/4 cup mustard
3/4 cup liquid smoke or worcestershire sauce

Posts: 648 | Location: Huskerville | Registered: 22 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like to skin and gut them all at the same time with my shots. Only trouble is there isn't enough left over then. I found a 243 or 25-06 works great at doing all the work for you. Don't think I'll be eaten any soon.

Posts: 19569 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I don't eat rats. At least not on purpose. I did work in China last year and who knows what I actually ate.

Posts: 12688 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In Varmint Hunter magazine they tell you NOT to handle them.

Posts: 906 | Location: NW OH | Registered: 19 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do you think I could substitute a pocket gopher for the prairie dog?

Posts: 93 | Location: Waterloo, Iowa, USA | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
hes how you gut them with one shot.

you get a big magnum and stalk until they are 20 to 60 yrds away. then you wait until they are feeding towards you. line up the sights were their bodys and the ground meet. then carefully hit the switch and wait untill the hit the ground after flying in the air . it is best if you use a fairly tough bullet. i havent skined them out or even eaten them, i think ill stick to just shooting them.

Posts: 159 | Location: Saskatchewan  | Registered: 14 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Two important parts of the prep were left out...

1. Leave carcasses in small room with flea bomb for 6 hours.

2. If, by mistake, you did use a V-Max rather than an FMJ, spend 3 hours removing fragments.

By the way, here is what a 50 grain V-Max out of a .223 at 250 yards does...

Posts: 120 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, not for me. I let the coyotes, foxes, etc have them. I agree with the do not handle instructions.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Last weekend I left about 400 out in the dirt....damn if I would have only known then. I did have three perfect head shots in a row that would have made for great table fare.
Actually we never touch them.........the hawks, owls, coyotes and the fleas get the best parts of the ones I shoot.

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote