New
Find
Notify
Tools

221 Fireball
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Considering ordering a Remington LS 700 in 221 Fireball. $460 shipped. Any thoughts Pro of Con. I realize the factory ammo or lack there of situation.

Thanks, OD Bear

Posts: 37 | Location: Western Wa. | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just curious why you chose .221 Fireball? What advantages do you see over .22 Hornet, .17 Rem, .222, etc.

If you reload, the lack of factory ammunition is a minor issue, so no objections from me.

I'm not very familiar with the Fireball, so wanted to know what you like about it.

Posts: 132 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brilliant little round. Mine was giving 3360 fps with the 40 gr Vmax and 16.8 gr of powder. Relatively quiet, no recoil, and very accurate. Bit like a super Hornet, but without the headspacing and brass issues of the Hornet. I used mine on rabbits and foxes out to about 200 metres.

Posts: 121 | Location: Southern Australia | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Get your rifle OD. You'll not regret it. I have Hornets 218 Bee's 222's & 223"s and they all have a place but the 221 Fireball will perform as good as any of them with light bullets and will shoot as accurately as the 222's & 223's and do it with about a 5 gr less powder charge. I use mine out to 400 yds on squirrels and so far there's not been a coyote walk away from it. My favorite load is 21.2 grs of AA 2200 with a 40 gr. Vmax @ 3275 fps or 18.8 grs of T-680 with a 40 gr Vmax @ 3350 fps. I found that my rifle shoots the 40, 45, 50 & 52 gr. bullets all to the same point of Impact or real damned close. I've been getting right at 1/2" groups @ 200 yds with 40 & 50 gr. Vmax's and 45 gr. Sierra SP's. I've been using Fed. 205 Primers. Godsdog.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Do a "Search" for 221 Fireball in Varmint and Small Calibers for a year back or so; plenty of comments.
Great cartridge!

Posts: 639 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 28 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
what I like about it ?
once purchased brass lasts forever
370 plus rounds to the lb. of powder w/ RL-7, Lil gun or H4227
deadly accurate on pds out to at least 300 yds.
low noise factor
low barrel heat factor
low recoil that allows the shooter a good view
in a rifle length barrel I will get 3400 fps w/40 vmaxs
If you are shooting over a prairie dog town where the number of shots per day could number in the hundreds these are significant things to 'like about it'.

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OD Bear: I have two Varmint Rifles in caliber 221 Fireball! I love them! There definitely is a place for this quiet, accurate, efficient and economical cartridge in ANYONES Varminting arsenal!
I also own 22 Hornets, 218 Bees and a double batch of 222's and 223's and the 221 Fireball in a Rifle is still in my mind very well worth having!
Many of my friends have had custom made 221 Fireball Rifles and I know a couple Varmint Hunters that took perfectly good 223's and had them rechambered to 221 Fireball! Both Rifles turned out more accurate than the original and they are a touch quieter!
Is the Rifle you are considering a Light Varmint model with the fiberglass stock or some other model?
Good luck with the new rig and be sure and remind me when its time for accurate loads for your rig! I have some!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote