New
Find
Notify
Tools

WCC 846
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hey Bartche, I read on the Midway, Midsouth thread that you use WCC 846 powder. I would like to hear what you and others are doing with it. I'll look up my loads and the chronograph data and post them later today. DW

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My bad, the powder I have been using is WCC 844. You are supposed to use H335 data but I find it hotter than H335. I have been using 24-26 grains with either the 40 grain BT, the 40 grain Vmax or the 40 grain Barnes Varminator. The primers are either CCI 450's, CCI 400's or CCI BR4's. All groups in my Rem. 223 with a 24 inch barrel have been 1 1/4 inches or less with some less than 1/2 inch. These surplus powders were a great buy when you could get them. I have not been able to find any lately. I am interested in any loads with bargain powders. Thanks Bartche for the ones listed in the other post. DW

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The exact burning rate of lots of surplus powder will vary. The lot I have of WC-844 gives just a tad slower velocities than my lot of commercial H-335. As with any powder, if the characteristics of the lot are unknown, start over low and work upward appropriately.

Posts: 13235 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
WinkIt would seem that you're loading for a .223??? If you send me your E-Mail address I'll send you all of my data in that cartridge including WCC846 anWCC 844.

You still can buy DP85 from Powder Valley. popcornroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Becareful with wc846 I have one keg thats very fast I cut it back a full 20% before it was safe to shoot.

Posts: 19392 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
Becareful with wc846 I have one keg thats very fast I cut it back a full 20% before it was safe to shoot.

One of those lots is bound to be mislabelled. However, that just goes to show that a reloader should always treat every lot of surplus powder as something of an unknown.

Posts: 13235 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote