THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    What is a �Varmint�? Please suggest a definition?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is a �Varmint�? Please suggest a definition?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted
Some animals are shot just to get them dead. They are not considered, at least by a sector of the population, fit to remain alive where they occur. Many of the species shot just to accomplish killing them are agricultural pests. But not all agricultural crop damagers are shot just to get them killed. Well, there seems to be general consensus that groundhogs and crows are varmints. But what makes an animal a varmint, or under which conditions should an animal be considered as a varmint.

In Africa, at least in some areas and at some times, the early pioneers shot buffalo on sight, just to get them dead and so stop them competing for grazing with their exotic beef and dairy cattle. Would the actions of these people have been classified as varminting?

I personally some times go and shoot, at a few selected venues, as many as possible red knobbed coot just to get them dead. The rationale? They reportedly interfere with and very negatively affect the breeding of the very tasty, and legal quarry for sport hunting in season, yellow-billed duck at these venues. (I am not going to enter into a discussion on the accuracy of this statement. This post is about the definition of a �Varmint�.) So can I consider, under the mentioned circumstances that the coot is a varmint?

Let�s hear the suggested definitions of a �Varmint� from the clear thinkers on this forum.

Verewaaier.

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
A noxious pest (usu. mammal).

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

George

that would include my mother-n-law

Posts: 169 | Location: Never where you think | Registered: 03 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Quote:

George

that would include my mother-n-law

You're lucky. My first mother-in-law was a friggin' reptile (man-eating crocodile)

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
According to Yosemite Sam, almost all creatures are varmints. You can not shoot all varmints legally tho.

Take politicians, most people except politicians, would agree they are varmints, and would be serving the public best if they could get shot on site. Somehow in the civilized world we have decided to refrain from doing so. However, we don't think the politicians are real sure we are not going to do so, since they are the ones that want all these gun control laws and anti hunting laws.

Some Savy Countries it is alright to shoot politicians, Unfortunately most of the these enlightened countries are what the politicians call third world countries. No one knows what 3rd world countries are. They don't have much money, but they have a lot more common sense than a lot of western countries.

Anyone know what a second world country would be???

Hope that clears it up a little.

Cheers and good shooting ( just not at politicians)
seafire

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Varmints are the same thing as vermin. Vermin can be animals, but Webster also defines vermin as "a person considered loathsome or offensive, and such people considered as a group". Vermin derives from the Latin vermis, (worm). Michael Moore and his ilk would be prime examples.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's two:

Afterwards, he'll clean up the mess:

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
An animal's a varmint for the same reasons a plant's a weed.

Anybody up for some weed huntin'?

(I'm good at shootin' weeds, BTW.)

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Other wise they are inedible, biodegradable, fast multiplying farm pests. These would include but are not limited to
ex-wives
ex-mother-in-laws

How fast are those multiplying around your place?

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
too damn fast.............in fact I have a string of them. I've got one more to collect of each and I will have a grand slam.

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A varmint is usually a smallish animal that does not directly or indirectly benefit the economic or recreational activities of humans. It can also be any cowboy who doesn't wear a white hat. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote