THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    I'm traveling from Missouri, where should I go prairie dogging at?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm traveling from Missouri, where should I go prairie dogging at?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted
Taking a road trip out west with my dad and a buddy to shoot some varmints at the end of the month. I'm looking to get a 1k prairie dog, and shoot beyond that if possible.

Where would be a good place to go? I'm on the college budget, so free is best.

Thanks everyone!

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of just say moe
posted Hide Post
Good luck. You need to narrow it down a little - which state for starters. Some require a license and/or guide. Once you have the area narrowed down, call the county extension agent and ask for a list of farmers that allow shooting. Even if they don't charge a small fee, it is customary to give the landowner a generous thank you "donation" for his hospitality and for an invitation for next year. IMO, if you are looking to sling large chunks of lead 1000 yds, you need to be beyond the middle of nowhere with nary a cow in sight. Good luck there - that sounds like a tall order to find a place like that on short notice.
Good luck

"Pick out two!" - Moe Howard

Posts: 295 | Location: ARKANSAS - Ouachita mtns. | Registered: 19 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Kansas, Nebraska, South Dakota, North Dakota, most anything is within reach. Traveling to wherever is no problem.

Thanks for the tip about calling county extensions!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Ty!!!
Try Whyhoming somewhere on public lands.
Expect the wind to be blowing as it never quits up there.

IF you use I-25 and make it thru Pueblo CO.
Give me a ring so we can meet. I'm not far off the hwy.
Ph's: 719/544-4132, or 719/214-1712 should be in my pocket.

26th I'm going in for a R shoulder replacement, should be home next day. Won't be going anywhere for a couple wks I'm sure.

When is this trip planned? Let me know by e'mail ok? gldwight1@ yaywhoo.

Good luck and bring some smaller cals so you can do lots of 'culling'.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6001 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh to be young again...

P'dogs start west of Beatrice, NE. Now shooting 1,000 yards will only upset people around there. SD has been the widely marketed SOURCE. Plague has dampened things a lot. CO has the dogs and the wide open spaces if you stay away from cities. NRA has that warning about flying into Denver with guns. Wyo has the space and Montana. Pick an area and contact the local game folks.

So you basically have to decide exactly what direction you want to travel. All about the same distance. North Dakota is and option but slightly warmer and more daylight and longer season in CO/KS. Luck. Happy trails.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Central Montana...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Central Monatana... I will have to call my cousin and see if any of the ranches she horse wrangles on have dogs on them that they would like shot.

I used to shoot dogs in Kansas North of Hays by Stockton. It's where 183N hits HW24. There's a ton of public land there and I used to shoot dogs in the afternoon after we phesant hunted in the am. Pick up on of the public land maps and call the local wildlife biologist to see if he can point you towards one of the walk in hunting areas that has a dog town on it.

I'll see if I can get any info on Montana.

AB

Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die

"Men don't change. The only thing that should surprise a man in his life is the history he doesn't know." Harry Truman

Posts: 451 | Location: West Coast of Florida | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My cousin says that there are no P-Dogs to be shot on her ranches.
There were a bunch in Kansas on the walk in land that I found and a few on other ranches around some of the walk in places. Evey farmer that I talked to was excited about me shooting the p-dogs as long as there weren't cows in the vicinity....and it actually opened the door to some of the best pheasant hunting land that I have ever hunted. It's been several years since I was there but it would be a good place to start.

Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die

"Men don't change. The only thing that should surprise a man in his life is the history he doesn't know." Harry Truman

Posts: 451 | Location: West Coast of Florida | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
I ended up hunting in western Kansas. Found a ranch that had one large town that was about 100 acres. Shot plenty and the weather was great!