Find
Notify
Tools

Coyote packs part II
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted
shockerWhen I got out at Angeles Range today about 8 o'clock I was treated to a rare sight. holycow!

Four deer were meandering between the 100 yard berm and the 200 yard berm. Something alarmed them and imediately three coyotes were in their mits. Three got away at once but the pack cornered the smallest one. There ensued a sniping and hoofing dance of sorts.

The deer was trying to move closer to where 3 of us were staning before they could bring her down.This lasted perhaps about 5 minutes before the dogs got leary of us. The deer moved out at a modest walk toward us and the coyotes just stopped dead and looked at us for perhaps 20 seconds before they moved into the brush. None of us had gotten our hardware out yet so nothing bit the dust from them or us.

I don't know if Snopes can verify this yet or not. thumbroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
Several years ago I saw a bit of the opposite.

I was doing some mid-summer hiking/camping near the Three Sisters Wilderness Area in Oregon. Overlooking a large meadow on the flats near sundown, I spotted several mule deer grazing near the middle. Something caught my eye and I spotted several coyotes planning their moves on the mulies. Twice I watched as one of the coyotes came out into the open and ran towards the deer. One mean old doe had obviously been through this before, as she simply turned and ran at the coyote. The coyote turned and trotted back into the taller edge grasses. The third time was the charm (for me). The coyote ran out alone again and the ole doe had enough. I watched her run after and chase that coyote for what I would guess had to be several hundred yards. That coyote obviously has much more to learn, but for the day the doe and her group won. I imagine this kind of thing happens everyday in places, but I don't expect to see such a sight again anytime soon.

"Listen more than you speak, and you will hear more stupid things than you say."

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
I imagine this kind of thing happens everyday in places, but I don't expect to see such a sight again anytime soon.

thumbX 2 roger beer

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote