THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    22-250 load suggestions for coyotes..?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

22-250 load suggestions for coyotes..?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
While I have called and shot a few coyotes, I have not really been serious about predator hunting. I plan to do more coyote hunting and recently picked up a M600 Remington that has a 25" fluted barrel and is chambered for 22-250. It shoots close to MOA with Win 55gr hollow points(economy pak white box).

I plan to load my own for this rifle, and not having messed with varmint calibers in the past I need some advice.... I want to put together a 55gr load that will shoot pretty flat out to 200-250 yds, be adequate for coyotes, but not be too destructive to the pelt..if I have to shoot a cat or fox...

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Zeeriverrat1

Posts: 502 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 01 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Croberts
posted Hide Post
I have a grat load for my 22-250. It is for my 700 Sendero, with 26' fluted barrel. I shoot two loads one being 55gr Nosler Ballistic tip over 35.5 gr of IMR 4064, with Federal Gold Match Primers. It is my go to Groundhog load and the other is 52 gr BTHP Match from Sierra with 34.8 gr of H 4895 and the same primer. All loading applications apply start low and work up.

A man should never stop learning, so a man should never stop asking questions.

A man should never stop learning, so a man should never stop asking questions

Posts: 164 | Location: Abingdon Va. | Registered: 09 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bm-3
posted Hide Post
Can you get your hands on any VihtaVuori powder? I like N140 and N150 with 55gr Nosler Btips. and I use WW brass and WLR primers. If you can't get your hands on any VV powder then try H414 or Varget.

Posts: 86 | Location: Idaho, Boise. | Registered: 20 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Here are a couple of hunting loads I use regularly for coyotes in my 22-250.

55 gr. #1365 Sierra SPBT
Varget-36.0 grs. (36.5 max)
3700 fps.

50 gr. BT
H-380-39.0 grs. (41.0 max)
3700 fps.

New this season....works and shoots great:
53 gr. Barnes TSX
Big Game-38.5 grs.
3600 fps.

Varget, RL-15, H-380, and Big Game have always worked well in my 22-250's. IMR-4064 is also one of the "go to" 22-250 powders.

Good Hunting,

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote