New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another Bi-Pod ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
For any of you how have a Harris Pi-pod I am thinking of getting one for my Rem VLS 22-250. My question is will the one that goes from 13" to 25" work for prone and sitting or should I decided which position I want and get that one? I am around 6' if that helps. Thanks

Posts: 132 | Location: western New York | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have 4 or 5 of that model use them for p dogging all the time they work great. Stay away from the S models they move to much for me.

Posts: 19392 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
HEY BOSS, BEFORE YOU BUY A HARRIS CHECK OUT THE OUTERS BI-PODS THERE ABOUT THE SAME THING AS THE HARRIS FOR ABOUT 40BUCKS OR SO . A DEALER TOLD ME THAT THE PATENT RAN OUT ON THE HARRIS LAST YR SO NOW ANYONE CAN MAKE A COPY. SOON THEY WILL ALL GET CHEAPER I GUESS.....

TAKEM OUT CLEAN WITH ONE SHOT......

Posts: 181 | Location: virginia,usa | Registered: 07 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm 6'3" and use the Harris bipod you are looking at. It's great in that you have a choice of whether to shoot prone or sitting. However, when I am laying on flat ground it is a little high for me. I would not want to shoot my 300RUM in this position, but my 22-250 isn't too bad, just not real comfortable. If you shoot more in the sitting position than prone, go for it. If you shoot more often from the prone position like me, I would recommend one size smaller. I've been considering buying the smaller one myself, but I have other more important purchases to make at this point (i.e. good scope).

Regarding the swivel version, my opinion is don't buy it without this feature. Having fixed bipods with no swivel capability makes it very difficult to shoot on uneven terrain. Not saying it can't be done, but it's a real pain in the ass and takes longer to get set up.

Posts: 445 | Location: Connellsville, PA | Registered: 25 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
P dog shooter: I have 4 different models of the Harris Bi-pod for my different Varminting and Big Game Hunting needs. I had not noticed the "S" Model (swiveling model able to adjust for uneven ground) being unsteady to the point of detracting from my shooting on Colony Varmints, Coyotes or Big Game. Do you have your swivel adjustment screw tight enough to grip and hold once adjusted to the terrain or is there other movement that you notice?

Having said that, the original poster I recall was from New York and maybe he is more of a Predator shooter than a Colony Varmint Hunter?

Again having said that and kind of guessig what he is looking for in a rest I have to say that I more often than not while Colony Varmint Hunting use my home made Tri-pod style front rest with small sandbag atop it. I find this consistent rest and seperated from the Rifle platform to be more "successful" in the Colony Varmint fields for me than any model of attached to the Rifle Bi-pod!

Another favorite of mine for front rests in Colony Varmint situations is the wonderful Dog-Gone-Good large size mid-Rifle gripping sand bag. Mine weighs about 17 pounds filled but again is a real enhancement to my hit ratio I think in field situations.

I do not know of anything that beats the Harris Bi-pod swivelling style though for most styles of Predator Hunting. When all things are considered like quickness of deployment, steadiness and reliability they are tough to outperform. They are pricey though and if competition is soon to be on the market well amen to that. They are so pricey out of the 4 I now have only one was bought from a store. The others I traded into or bought second hand. I also have the shortest version (BR Model?) and I sometimes use this off of the hood of the VarmintMobile or off of the roof of its canopy (while standing on the tailgate!). And I sometimes use it off of one of my portable shooting benches. It is not the swivelling model though so what ever it rests on needs to be very nearly level with the horizon.

Care should be used when deploying the Harris Bi-pods as they can sometimes be noisey to unfold and the legs will clack against sagebrush, rocks or limbs when Hunting Big Game or Predators!

Good luck if you decide to go with the 13" to 25" Model. I have one and like it also. I am 6'3" tall myself. I also once had the longest legged Model but traded it off a while back. I never used it much.

Hold into the wind

VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BossMoss, I have to make a correction to my original post that VarmintGuy caused me to look up. The bipod I have it the model HB25C-S (13.5"-27" Swivel). I think if you went with the one just below that, the one you are talking about, it would work fine. However, I didn't see a 13-25" bipod on their website. Are you sure it wasn't 12-25"?

Posts: 445 | Location: Connellsville, PA | Registered: 25 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jethoo, No I am not sure of the 12 to 25 but Cabelas has on advertised at that so I guess that is what I would get. Thanks for all your replys. I am watching ebay for one now.

Posts: 132 | Location: western New York | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BOSSMOSS,
I am 6' and bought an outers Bi-pod, works very well when sitting. SRW made a good point about the Harris/Outers comparison. I was at Gander Mountain just after christmas. People had taken Bi-pod's out of the package so I held them next to each other. They look exactly the same. So I bought the Outers. $39.95

Posts: 30 | Location: NY | Registered: 18 February 2003Reply With Quote