New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: High Mountain Varmints
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Yesterday found myself and one of the lucky Goat tag drawees and Hunting friends of mine high up in the alpine regions of the Rocky Mountains. The Goats were hard to find but the high mountain Varmints were out and about.

The highlight of the day was watching a Pine Marten Hunting Pikas in a rock slide near a small island of trees. The elevation was around 9,800" and its by far the highest elevation I have ever seen a Pine Marten at. My partner had never seen a Pine Marten and we watched him for nearly an hour chasing first one Pika and then another. I never did see him catch one of the Pikas and he really ran off some calories darting over and around the boulders.

We had along my partners 7/30 Waters T/C pistol for Bear protection and to harvest a Marmot but no Marmots were seen within range. I think the Pine Martens are classified as Fur Bearers in Montana. And they may not be harvested by firearm. The Bobcat is the only Furbearer in Montana that may be harvested with a Firearm as far as I know.

Anyway it was very surprising and entertaining to see this Pine Marten "Varmint Hunting" in the high country.

From the bay window of my home I can view the mountains we were on yesterday 35 miles to the north of me. Those mountains now have snow on them (that fell this mid-morning!) down at least 1,000' from their tops! Amazing for this time of year here in SW Montana. Strange weather indeed.

Hold into the wind

VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
VG, Great read! I definitely need to visit that part of the state!! I like the eastern side a bunch also! Cohagen, Miles City areas! I guess that's the varminter coming out in me! LONG SHOTS at stuff in those plains! I honestly would be perfectly content to have no firearm with me....just armed with the Kodak digital camera on a trip into that country! Well maybe an ultralight spinning rod for all those trout you speak of! If they are that plentiful, maybe I could even catch one with the fly rod! My day as far as varmints went(wasn't hunting really but always have at least the 17HMR in the tractor) afforded one 120 yard groundhog kill with the new 20XTP loading. Low in the chest hit(groundhog was laying down facing me) and there was a serious "thud" when it struck! Not DRT though! Crawled 20 feet towards the hole then died. More testing needed! A skunk however tried to eat oone of those projectiles from 50 yards! No pics available!!! For reasons you should discern! Then this PM about 6:30 I headed to the local store to get some tire plugs(Sarah's 4-wheeler) and had just turned onto the main road when a pair of COYOTES(appeared to be an adult and one of this years pups) came hauling butt out of my alfalfa field, stopped in the road then ran off into a pasture field! I had time to get the scope cover off the .204 and put one in the chamber but as I was leveling off on the big dog standing broadside, he decided he'd seen enough and vanished into the weeds! Then I went to the store and couldn't help but go check out just one field for a groundhog! He was there at 446 yards! The 204 was going to get to give it a shot! Dialed it up and settled the Nikon 6.5-20 on his head and this is no lie....a darn whitetail ran from the edge of the field and stopped directly in line with the groundhog! Then it's brother or sister and mama showed up and scared the groundhog down in his den! So many of them around here, it's hard to hunt groundhogs without them bothering you! Oh yea, one other species spotted also.....4 old long beards foraging in the hay field I mowed today! So I did see some varmints and wildlife but my story pales in comparison to yours! By the way, the .204 brass will be shipped to me in the AM! Send me your address!!! GHD

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Groundhog devastation! Ooh that would have been a great test for the 204! That 446 yard shot! Get after that one again.
Yes the Coyotes are usually not prone to "hanging around" long enough to offer more than a real quick set up and shot around here either.
I can imagine that Skunks "profile" as I have shot a couple with a 17 HMR myself. I try for head shots on Skunks as that will keep them from dispersing their irritant if a solid hit is made.
Its great that so many animals and birds can live and get along in amongst us humans!
I had to cancel a two day Elk scouting trip for today and tomorrow due to crappy weather and muddy remote roads.
This will give me a chance to catch up on house chores.
Let me know how much to send you for my share of the 204 brass!
My address is:
Dale Gibbons
505 Skyline Drive
Dillon, Montana
Thanks again
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote