New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommend Varmint Rifle
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm going to add a 22-250 to my collection and would appreciate opinions about production rifles in that caliber for varmint hunting (coyotes and smaller). Thanks, Gary T.

"We will never disarm any American who seeks to protect his or her family from fear and harm." - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 112 | Location: Eugene, Oregon | Registered: 23 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I acquired a 700 VS LH in .308. Other than adjust the trigger and mount a scope it is easy MOA out of the box. I think they also make this in 22-250. If I had only one rifle this would certainly be a contender. sundog

safety first

Posts: 287 | Location: Koweta Mission, OK | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you can probably take your pick out of most any manufacturer out there in 22/250 there is a miramid to choose from and you will probably get 50 different opinions from 49 guys. It's rare that a HB varmiter won't shoot well.

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I might be inclined to look at the Sako Varminter. It's not cheap, but it's an excellent rifle. Usually Sakos run about a pound lighter than most varminters. I've always been a Remington man, but lately got tired of having to shell out the extra $200. for glass bedding the action, floating the barrel and adjusting that gawd-awful trigger. Just one mans opinion. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Cal Sibley

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a rem 700 vssf 22/250 with leupold 6.5-20x40 and it is a tac driver with win supreme 50 gr silver ballistic tips...........I hate rem 700's as a rule but this thing shoots great bewildered

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't overlook the savages, the new ones come with an ok adjustable trigger. The trigger is not great but better than most factory guns. I've read that the bvss is a real shooter, I just got an fvss in 22-250. I haven't got to the range with it yet, but my brother has the savage fv in 22-250 and it's a shooter. The synthetic stocks are cheap but you can get a nice replacement fairly cheap. Even with a replacement stock, they can be cheaper than others. Just my 2 cents.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those Savages.... what was it someone once said about an ugly gun?

Posts: 128 | Location: Rio Arriba County, NM | Registered: 27 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the M700, probably in the VS or VLS variety for your purposes.

My 22-250 VS rifle EASILY shoots under MOA, and often goes sub-half-MOA (with factory Federal Premium ammo to boot).

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by R. Walter:
Those Savages.... what was it someone once said about an ugly gun?

I think that they said that they are more accurate, have better triggers and no J lock.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12688 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of lofter
posted Hide Post
If you reload. The 700 etronx is out there and they are a steal. I got mine for $530 delivered and the dealer also sent me 10 boxes of factory ammo. Reloading is the same as other cases except for the primers and I picked up 2000 of them. Trigger is a one screw adjustment. And there is for all purposes no lock time. Squeeze and bang all at once. I love mine.

Anything worth doing is worth doing right the first time.

Posts: 411 | Location: Southeastern Pa | Registered: 30 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The remington is the way to go and one you might look at is the XR-100, it comes with a 40-X trigger in it. Even my 700 vs is hard to beat.

I believe in life, liberty, and pursuit of the S.O.B.'s that threaten them.

Posts: 130 | Location: East central Kansas | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got a 700 VLS in .22-250 that i just got recently. It wears a vx 2 6x18 leupold on it. The gun shoots wonderfully (.3's @ 100 yds). However, if i did it again, i think i would go with teh savage 12. I had to have my trigger worked on (it was about 6 lbs and had a lot of creep in it) and also i need to have it bedded. I personally hold my alligence with Remington, however if ur looking for the best value...you can't beat the savage. Their new accurtrigger is mighty hard to beat on a factory rifle. I don't think you'll find any better. I agree with one of hte above posts...if i were you, i would look into the new remington rifle on the xp-100 action....it loooks pretty hot to me...if they had released that model when i got my rifle, that is what i would have gotten.
Ruck

Ruck

Posts: 203 | Location: Southwestern, va | Registered: 30 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I currently own a circa 1997 m700 VLS in 22/250.After free floating the barrel and adjusting the trigger(both tasks took a total of an hour to do),the gun has shot factory ammo into 1/2" to 5/8" at 100 yards for five shots.

My first handloads have shot into .4" at 100.I have gotten 1.5 -2" groups at 300 meters(330yards) with this load /rifle combo.
From what I have seen over the last 25 years when buying varmint rifles,nearly ALL of them benifit from or need some bedding and trigger work to perform their best.

The Savages are great shooters but if you have the extra $$,I would buy the Remington m700..

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the information. Adding up all the guys that gave me their two cents, I now have enough to buy a rifle. I'll look at the 700s first. I've always had 700s. My dad bought me my first in 308 before I became a teenager. I still have it and hunt with it some forty years later. Thanks again, Gary T.

"We will never disarm any American who seeks to protect his or her family from fear and harm." - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 112 | Location: Eugene, Oregon | Registered: 23 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Stark
posted Hide Post
Well, before you run off and buy something that most others have agreed needs to be worked on out of the box, let me suggest the Howa M1500 Varminter Supreme. I have one in .223 and haven't done anything to it other than put on a $100 6-24X50 piece of crap scope. This thing drives tacks at 400 yards and the trigger is a dream. Cost me about $650.

Ruger SRH in .480
Howa M1500 Thumbhole Varminter in .223
Bowtech Extreme VFT

Posts: 36 | Location: Willcox, Arizona | Registered: 15 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Stark
posted Hide Post
The website is: www.legacysports.com

Ruger SRH in .480
Howa M1500 Thumbhole Varminter in .223
Bowtech Extreme VFT

Posts: 36 | Location: Willcox, Arizona | Registered: 15 December 2004Reply With Quote