THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Re: Longrange 26cal bullets for yotes and ground hogs?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Longrange 26cal bullets for yotes and ground hogs?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted
I would use what you have starting with the light weights. By doing this you'll develop a personal preference.

My personal view is that the 140s are best for deer, the 120s to 100s for coyotes, etc. However, many have great luck on deer with the 120s. If I was going to get one bullet for everything up to deer, I'd pick a 120.

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Guy - try the Lapua Scenars in 108g and 123g. Awesome. I use them on rabbits and the such from a 6.5/06. Red mist.

Posts: 22 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 20 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Guy - try the Lapua Scenars in 108g and 123g. Awesome. I use them on rabbits and the such from a 6.5/06. Red mist.

i would love to try some, what loads are you shooting?
what velocity are you shooting them at?

Posts: 169 | Location: Never where you think | Registered: 03 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Outlaw,

You picked one heck of a varmint cartridge. If you shoot a chuck under 200yds, I hope you have raingear.

I wanted to try long range shooting so I had a 6.5/06 built with an Adams & Bennett barrel that had a 1-9" twist. It shot well enough that I had it rebarreled with a Pac-Nor supermatch with a 1-8" twist. I like long range varmint hunting and target shooting so I was hopeing to find a bullet that could do both. At 500 meters, The Sierra 142gr Matchkings were showing good promise but the 140gr Amax's worked even better. Of all the varmint rifles I have, nothing matches how the 140gr Amax's explodes a chuck. I shoot chucks with everything from 22LR to 300 Win Mag and nothing beats my 6.5/06.

The sweet spot loads for my rifle seem to be around 52gr of both RL-22 and H-4831SC. I've shot several 5/8" five shot groups at 200yds with a couple as small as 3/8". I've been using Winchester 30/06 cases with good luck and am now trying Lapua 30/06 cases.

I'm having a little problem with pressures and found I need to turn the necks so they can release the bullets when firing. Right now it's a little bit to much of a tight neck. I'm hoping to be doing a little more load testing on Monday.

The bullet of choice for 1000yd Bench Rest seems to be the Sierra 142gr Matchking, but I've had better luck with the Hornady 140gr Amax both for target shooting and varmint hunting.

Hope this info helps some. I've got to get back to reloading. Catch you later,

The Big Dog

Posts: 89 | Location: Tacoma, Wash, USA | Registered: 07 May 2002Reply With Quote