THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Varmint Nightmare Bullets vs Varmint Nightmare Extreme

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Varmint Nightmare Bullets vs Varmint Nightmare Extreme
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Well some of you may have noticed that Mid South is carrying another bulk bullet with the same name, but the addition of the word EXTREME added to its name...

I called Mid South and asked them what the difference was, and their customer service gal told me it was the exact same bullet.. just more Quality Control on it.... and that is why they are packaging them in the 500 instead of the 2000 quantities...

Evidently what they are doing is buying Hornady's rejects in bulk and selling them for cheap....instead of Hornady just melting them down...

So it will be interesting to see if they are any better...

Roger Bartsche reports that he has excellent accuracy out of the Regular Varmint Nightmares...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seafire/B17G:

Roger Bartsche reports that he has excellent accuracy out of the Regular Varmint Nightmares...

This is true. I did notice in their add that there is no canellure on the new VNM bullets. Same as before? More quality? Questionable at best, yet to be proven. We shall see. BOOMroger lefty

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually Roge,

I wonder if they just changed vendors based on manufacturing shortages ( caused by military contracts)... and the new vendors can't supply them as cheaply?

It is only a penny more per bullet....

I was going to order 500 and check them out...

I ordered a thousand Hornady in bulk the other day from Grafs in 55 grain SP with the cannelure.. although I prefer them without the cannelure..

I am also going to try some of the new 80 grain A Max bullets in 22 cal.. will see how that will work in the Savage and my Ruger 22.250 with the one in 8 twist....

That would be great for those WAAAAAY out there shots...if those work out, I may put a 22TTH barrel from Shaw on the long action Savage I have for long distance target work......

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Actually Roge,

I was going to order 500 and check them out...

I tried to order 2,000 from their web sight and they kept bouncing me around for my pass word. After I received the pass word on my E-Mail the same bullcontinued. My nose is bent out of joint right now but I may try the arcaic telephone at a later date. bsflagroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah Roger,

I always use the phone for orders like that...

I do trust modern technology.. what I don't trust is the idiots on the other end of the email destination....

Some of these places hire people who don't speak English in the packaging and shipping departments..

It costs a little more, but I like doing business with Grafs....

I also wanted to try out Wideners.. I have heard good things about them...

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
I also wanted to try out Wideners.. I have heard good things about them...

I,ve used wiedners and grafs for years. They're as good as any and better than MidWay or Shooters Choice.IMHO, Roll Eyesroger

One of Us
Picture of f224
posted Hide Post
Seafire:

You should have great luck killing at long range with that fast twist 22/250. I have used one for years and now my son has it. We have both hit prairie dogs past 775 yards with that rig.

Captain Dave Funk
Operator
www.BlaserPro.com

Posts: 841 | Location: Dallas, Iowa, USA | Registered: 05 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by f224:
Seafire:

You should have great luck killing at long range with that fast twist 22/250. I have used one for years and now my son has it. We have both hit prairie dogs past 775 yards with that rig.

Thanks Dave,

I am hoping to take it to Montana this summer if I can afford the fuel bill to get there.....

What kind of bullets are you using?

The 75 grain A Max are shooting great in mine, and I am waiting for a box of the 80 grain A Max....

It shoots the 80 grain Match bullets very tight also! But I don't want to shoot that long distance at varmints way out there.. as I would be concerned about riccochets...

That is why I am looking forward for good results out of that 80 grain A Max....

One of Us
Picture of f224
posted Hide Post
I have used the 80gr Sierra, 80gr Berger VLD and the 75gr A-max.

The Sierra shoots sub 1/3moa and the other two shoot in the .40-.50moa range. Of the three the 75gr A-max bullets give the best on-dog performance. Like you I am a bit concerned about the ricochet possibility with the pure target bullets.

The current barrel is almost shot out and I'm unsure what I'll re-barrel this Ruger KNo-1V after this season. I have a lighter contour Lija 204 barrel with a 1-9 twist but it might be a little too light for this rifle.

Captain Dave Funk
Operator
www.BlaserPro.com

Posts: 841 | Location: Dallas, Iowa, USA | Registered: 05 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
homerafter huffen and puffen about the problems ordering from Mid South on the commputor, yesterday I received 2000 Varmint Nite Mare bullets that I forgot I had on back order.The bullets are identical to what I've received in the past,cannalure and all. The paperwork and the box, however didn't designate them as being Extreme. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what they send someone as VNM Extreme. archerroger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roger,

I am going to order some of the extreme ones and see what you get for the extra $5.00 bucks per 500 quantity...

The regular VNM are made by Hornady.. I really suspect the Extremes are made by Sierra....

I am sure they are bought as factory seconds in bulk...

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Roger,
I am sure they are bought as factory seconds in bulk...

Roll EyesMaybe yes maybe no. cigar

A local fellow from whom I buy Berger bullets buys them in 100 pound plus quantities ,untumbled and unpackaged. They are not seconds but might be considered overruns. They shoot great at 1/2 the price you normally pay. dancingroger