Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

end of April for PD's?
 Login/Join

posted
I am trying to get a trip lined out for the 3rd week of April when my son has spring break. is anyone hunting PD's that early? If so, any recommendations for where would be appreciated.

Posts: 20 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 28 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
April works for the Texas and New Mexico plains, but I would think that may be pushing it for more northerly areas. How about it, you Nordlanders?

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Northwest Hunter: In mid-May you have a 50 - 50 chance of loosing days to spring rains, spring thaws, gumbo and cold, inclement (windy - cloudy) weather!
In April you will NO doubt be troubled by all four of these circumstances in Montana, Wyoming and the Dakotas! April is even early for Ground Squirrels!
Hmm.... I am trying to think maybe Utah or points south from there would be simpatico to an early season Prairie Dog Safari?
I suggest end of May to make most efficient use of your days - not many days stuck in the motel or stuck out on the prairie in gumbo then!
Best of luck to you.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
Northwest Hunter,

I know several guys that always go out to western Sodak and Eastern Mt. at that time every year.

Their trips are a mixture of sitting in taverns waiting for the prairie to dry up, and burnin' their barrels down when it does. They always take their ATVs and almost always need them.

The key is to locate towns alongside paved roads, then you could at least walk in. Take a 4wd and a 4wd ATV (if you can) and several pairs of boots.

If you are of the religious persuasion, a few prayers would certainly do no harm.

Jim

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Varmintguy is right you're going to have a lot better go of it say week before or after Memorial Day weekend. Nice weather the dogs will be up and the pups have been born.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
These aren't the answers I was hoping for, but I appreciate them none the less. Thanks!

Steve

Posts: 20 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 28 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That may be early in Montana for prairie dogs, but it is not early for ground squirrels in Northern California or southern Oregon....

Smaller targets but a lot more of them to shoot at than prairie dogs....Ft Bidwell Calif, Cedarville Calif, ( north of Alturas) are LOADED with sage rats....

Lakeview Oregon is also loaded.. and they don't have the level of shooter pressure and competition that Klamath County has........

If you are shooting a 10/22, it is not impossible to shoot 1500 or more in a day... and barely make a dent in the population....

Just food for thought.....

cheers
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I don't know why I didn't think about Lakeview. I lived in K-Falls for years, and have a friend who lives in Lakeview. May be time for a visit! I used to tear sand rats up around K-Falls back in the mid 80's. Ranchers were always more than willing to let us shoot in their fields. Your knock on the door would be quickly followed by "hell yes, shoot all you can, just don't shoot my sprinkler pipes".

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Northwest Hunter:
I don't know why I didn't think about Lakeview. I lived in K-Falls for years, and have a friend who lives in Lakeview. May be time for a visit! I used to tear sand rats up around K-Falls back in the mid 80's. Ranchers were always more than willing to let us shoot in their fields. Your knock on the door would be quickly followed by "hell yes, shoot all you can, just don't shoot my sprinkler pipes".

Klamath is starting to get too many out of town shooters, that have no respect for farmer's property or land... they leave trash and spent 223 cases laying all over the place ( that cheap disposable Russian made crap).... they shoot holes in irrigation pipes and also even shoot the tires on the irrigation wheels....

So Klamath is not as "User Friendly" as it once was... unless they know ya...or someone they trust who knows ya and will vouche for you....

Lakeview doesn't have the traffic that Klamath and Christmas Valley see....So most are still pretty "shooter friendly".... but not all are....

The irresponsible have messed it up for a lot of us....kinda sad if you ask me.......

Good luck tho.....

cheers
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As warm as the winter has been in north east Colorado this year, the pasture poodles have never stayed under ground. You can shoot them right now.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have shot PD in Wyoming in April, but if it is windy you are SOL.

Bring a coyote call in case the PD hunting is slack.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Northwest Hunter: There is some wonderful Varmint Hunting in the central Oregon areas mentioned here. I have Hunted there on many occassions.
Be careful with the "licensing" situation there abouts though. It was VERY pricey for out of staters there the last time I bought a license that would allow me to Hunt Varmints!
My jaws were tight for a couple of years after I suffered that indignity!
I am sure the license is much less expensive compared to a citation from the fine folks at the Fish and Game Department!
In the fine and capitalist State of Montana folks from everywhere are allowed to Hunt Varmints of many many species - for free!
Come on Oregon (and Idaho for that matter!).
I suggest you check the Oregon Fish & Game Department!
I have not Hunted as early as the 3rd week of April there in central Oregon so I can not comment on the prevalance of Varmints then or the condition of the side roads then.
Best of luck where ever you go!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Crane and Enterprise OR or both good that time of year, depending on weather.

Howard
Moses Lake, Washington USA
hwhomes@outlook.com

Posts: 2339 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot prairie dogs when ever the temp is over 40 degrees so I shoot them all year long. June would be the best time for shooting prairie dogs in Colo., Nebr, and S Dokata. The pups will be out by then. By April some of the old p dogs run into their holes when I drive into the pastures so there is limited shooting under 200 Yds. I start out in May useing a 17 HM2 rifle then switch to the 17 HMR , 221 R, 204 R,22-250R,220 Swift and 243 W as the dogs get spokier. By Sept most of the dumb ones have ben shot in the area I hunt so there limited shooting( long range ) untill the pups are out in the spring.

tuck2

Posts: 193 | Location: Nebr Panhandle | Registered: 13 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Snapper
posted Hide Post
I saw the following ad in PREDATOR Extreme:
"Hunt Eastern MT Prairie Dogs and other Varmints on Private land for free while you stay at our Bed and Breakfast".

Big game hunts and Upland Bird hunts also available.

Helm Bed and Breakfast, Miles City, MT 406-421- 5420, Email: gphelm@webtv.net.

http://www.huntmontanafree.com

Call and see what they say about a spring hunt.

Posts: 767 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Hunt Eastern MT Prairie Dogs and other Varmints on Private land for free while you stay at our Bed and Breakfast".

And the reason it is "free" is because they are "letting" you hunt on another ranches land.

Jim

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Laner
posted Hide Post
Already shot a few dirt dogs this year. Last weekend was windy as hell but I was just as bored. So off to the little town east of here. LOL got out there to find 8 stinking bullets left. Didnt know my wife shot that much at the range the weekend before. Eight shots, three dead dogs and 30 mins later I left for home.

Arguing on the internet is like competing in the Special Olympics; even if you win, you're still retarded.

Posts: 99 | Location: Hays, Kansas | Registered: 02 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Laner:

Why the lousy score??

Shoulda been 8/8, or at least 7/8.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6001 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was out on the plains the last two weekends and as long as you could deal with the wind and long shots life was good. Kill percentage was down but plenty of targets. Should have went today....65 degrees, no wind, sun out.

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Friday afternoon I found a new area with a little ranch pond that formed up some fresh pasture that was full of dogs. I shot about 20 (found 20 dead ones afterwards, anyways) and then moved on to leave some for next time.

The dogs are out in the higher elevations of NM.

Posts: 128 | Location: Rio Arriba County, NM | Registered: 27 April 2003Reply With Quote