New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fur Friendly Bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Wondering about best choices for the 6mm, .224 and 204 Ruger.

I have coyotes in mind and would like to not blow them apart.

I ask for your thoughts/ experiences with the 3 calibers as although I have a perfectly good 243, I am considering purchase of a 204 Ruger or 223.

Many Thanks
HBH

one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
I have a Rem. M700 VS in .223. I have shot 5 coyotes with 40-gr. V-Max bullets at 3,300 fps. and have been very pleased with the results. All shots were within 100 yards and heart/lung broadside kills.

Be aware that the velocity of the bullet will be equally important as bullet type/construction in reaching your goal of minimal pelt damage. Shot placement is also a key component.

"Listen more than you speak, and you will hear more stupid things than you say."

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
HBH,

Erict is right about the velocity and shot placement. Both are variables that can change what happens to a bullet when it hits a coyote.

Over many years I have killed coyotes with all three and my choices are:

6mm: 70 gr. Speer TNT at low to moderate speeds. I shot 9 big coyotes with this bullet one winter and did not have any pass throughs or splashes. I really like this bullet for coyotes.

224: 55 gr. Sierra Gameking, #1365. Will pass through but the holes are most often small.

204: 35 or 40 gr. Bergers.

Jim

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HBH: I can't help you on the 6mm, I also can't help you on the 224 because Speer quit making the best IME hide bullet last year. The Speer MHP 50g out of my 22-250 at max velocities was extreamly accurate and did minimal hide damage. On the 204 R the Bergers are probably your best bet, I use the 40ger's allot of people like the 35's also. Now the ultimate hide gun my CZ 527 Varmint in 17Rem with 25g bergers, kills like a lighting bolt and no exit wounds, just inerds that sound like soup in a tin can. clap

Posts: 439 | Location: USA | Registered: 01 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For the 204 the 35 gr bergers are king for yotes. Bang, flop, done, insides are like jelly with just a tiny entrance hole. The 45 gr Hornady soft points should also be ideal for the bigger critters.

Savage Vaporizer

Posts: 93 | Location: Ft. Saskatchewan, Alberta, Canada | Registered: 19 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
Has anyone ever tried a triple shok in .224 and whitnesed it's effect on coyote. Seems like it should stay together and not tear hides up.
Timan

Posts: 1213 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was talking with a guy that works for Nosler a while back and in 224 he said the 55gr bullet was best. The lead core is harder and won't blow apart if you hit bone or to much mussle. He also said the lighter bullets were fine but only if you got a good broadside and were sure to get it in the chest. Then he said that sometimes the light bullets will even blow on a rib bone.

It seem's that someone could make a bit of money by designing a bullet just for coyotes. This subject comes up everywhere.

If your intrested in not banging up pelts to badly, a heavier bullet ar reduced velocity seems to be the ticket. Sounds like just the place for a 222Rem or a 22 Hornet.

Posts: 526 | Location: Antelope, Oregon | Registered: 06 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
55 grain FMJ in 22 Caliber and either Hornady or Speer make an 80 grain FMJ just for that application in 6mm also... I think Sierra Makes a 90 grain FMJ in 6mm...

FMJ's will pass thru, but should do enough damage to drop a coyote...

heavier deer hunting bullets at high velocity in a 6mm bore, at higher velocity... a coyote sized animal shouldn't have enough resistance... as the bullet will pass thru before it opens up....

the 6mm bore also has some good match bullets that shouldn't open up, but pass thru...I'd certainly look at the 107 grain Match king in 6mm for long range coyotes!

Berger has tons of them in the different weights in 6mm....

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Over the years I've done my share of yoten and for the 6 I would no doubt go 55 NBT and push it hard.

For the 22's this is a fair bit easier, 40 Sierra hp, 40 NBT, 50 NBT, 55 R-P hp or sp, 63 Sierra, 53 TSX. Many good ones for the big 22's.

IME the most important thing is shot placement, stay away from big bone (shoulder, spine,neck, breast on a frontal) and you'll be ok.

Hit one of those big bones and game over and the holes will be big.

Mark D

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been using Sierra 55 grain HPBT Gamkings and 62 grain SMP Varminter. I haven't had a complete pass through yet or any splash effect out of my .223's. I try to shoot the yotes in the chest so the bullet has to travle the length of the body for a pass through.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. fellas! Seems like you need to hit them between the slats. I better get them to stand still, they dont like to do that alot, least the ones I have seen...grins
It does help I have been away from small bores to long.

Many Thanks

HBH

one of us
Picture of Snapper
posted Hide Post
Mark,

How accurate are those 55 gr NBT's? I picked up a box to replace the 58 gr Vmax's I'm shooting now.

Have you tried the 70gr NBT's in your 6?

Thanks,

Snapper

Posts: 767 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote