New
Find
Notify
Tools

Master Bait?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Any of you guys have a great recipe for baiting in coyotes? If you do please share and tell how u use it. THanks

Posts: 53 | Location: Washington | Registered: 25 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We always used dead cows, but those can be a little hard to come by for some people, as an old cow will bring 800-900 now. Only joking of course, but we always trapped around any livestock that we lost.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Max, around here bait isn't hard to find if you find a willing Poultry Farmer. The reason I say willing is because the Farmer is suppose to dispose of the dead Chickens by incineration.

Most Farms will loose to mortality 15 to 25 per day on a small farm and on a large farm even more. If you get the farmer to let you have a few of them everyday, it’s coyote bait heaven!!! I have access to all I would every need, hell the Farmer even has a deep-freeze he keeps a few hundred in just incase I need a few more.

Posts: 11761 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 26 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CaneCorso
posted Hide Post
Rabbits and crows work great out here

~~~

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
1 Corinthians 16:13

Posts: 622 | Location: CA, USA | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alright. I should have used my elk carcass. So, if I get some dead stuff and set it out in a good spot, when do you reccomend checking it?

Posts: 53 | Location: Washington | Registered: 25 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the chicken idea ChoPPeR!

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N. S. Sherlock:
Thanks for the chicken idea ChoPPeR!

Sherlock, find a Poultry Producer that willing to work with you, and you will have an endless supply of Varmint Bait.

My Poultry Producer friend had a die off a few months ago because of a feed problem. He lost around 2,500 hundred in three days, that’s over 17,000 pounds of chicken. It would have cost around 700 dollars in fuel to incinerate them, and days of burning. Instead he called and got a permit to bury them and I took my Bachhoe over and dug the trench for him. We went to the lower side of one of his hay field and dug the trench, (about a 300 yard shot thumb ).

You have to put 6-inch pcv pipe in to let the methane gas off. Man what a smell this puts off!!! Damn Varmint for miles around came to investigate. Big Grin

Posts: 11761 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 26 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Max M.:
Any of you guys have a great recipe for baiting in coyotes? If you do please share and tell how u use it. THanks

Years ago when we had more coyotes and fewer wolves in this area, we used down livestock. Make sure the animal has not been injected recently. The coyotes will ignore an injected animal.

I placed the cow parts in the open but near cover so they didn't have to travel long distances across fields. I would use a small blind located in cover and sit and wait for them. I would hunt mornings, evenings and when it was snowcovered, I would hunt at night during the full moon. This is totally illegal now in this area. Probably still legal for you but I would make sure.

I just remembered what happened one time when I picked up some bait from a local farmer.

It was the middle of January and a farmer called me and said he had a calf down and if I wanted it for coyote bait I should come over and get it. I was busy at the time, but said thank you and I would be there as soon as possible.

When I did get there, late the following afternoon, I found a totally frozen HEFFER. I still don’t know what this farmer was thinking, but it was NOT a calf. (He is not in business today so maybe that will tell you something.) So there I was. A Toyota pick-up, a frozen heffer and a farmer who wanted it out of there now. I had a chain in the bed and hooked it up to the neck of the heffer, put the transfer case in 4wd and took off. I really didn’t know what I was going to do with it, but it was easily six hundered pounds of coyote bait and it was free. I got out to the highway towing the frozen heffer and figured it was just three miles from home so what the hell. Go for it. I pulled out on the state hiway and headed for home. So here I am, towing a frozen heffer down the highway thinking this is pretty cool. Sure enough, I just get the heffer up to 30 mph (pretty good for a Toyota) and a state bull going the opposite direction goes past me. Of course he pulls over, whips his cruiser around and flips on the lights. I briefly considered trying to outrun him, but the heffer on the back was slowing me down too much so I pulled over. Smiler

If anyone asks me about the most embarassing thing that has ever happened to me I just say “never mind, you wouldn’t understandâ€. This was it. The state cop parks behind the heffer, walks past it shaking his head and comes up to the window. He says, “What the HELL are you doing?†I figured there is no chance of him understanding what I am really doing so I said, “Just trolling for coyotesâ€. He didn’t understand the humor in my answer. Luckily he was a deer and grouse hunter and understood I was ultimately trying to reduce the coyote population and let me go and I thank him for that.

And so, to prevent any more contacts with law enforcement professionals I adopted an alternative method of transporting bait. Let it freeze and cut it up with a chain saw into pieces you can load easily into the bed of a pickup. And the secret is, use Wesson Oil for the chain lube. They don’t like the taste of the petroleum based stuff.

Good Luck

Jim

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AI22-250
posted Hide Post
pdhntr1 -- I couldn't touch that with a big frozen popcycle.......

Last year I was an apprentice-baiter This year a master--

"Any society that will give up a little liberty to gain a little security deserve neither and will lose both."
-Ben Franklin

Posts: 289 | Location: Holladay,UT (SLC) | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of IdahoVandal
posted Hide Post
Feral cats....(and their kittens of course)

Not only do they make excellent bait for the crab pot...they work wonders when tied to a barbed wire fence just before sun up on a lightly snowing Idaho morning.....

minus 300 posts from my total
(for all the times I should have just kept my mouth shut......)

Posts: 844 | Location: Moscow, Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Max,

Your selection of thread titles is.....well, pretty funny!

We don't have alot of carcasses laying about here in densely poulated Europe, sadly......I'd be happy to make some suggestions though?

I use sardines exclusivly for Foxes here and can't imagine a Coyote would turn down a fish dinner, either.

They cost almost nothing (although other alternatives mentioned above are alot cheaper), Done like this:

1st Hot Tip: Use surgical gloves.
Pick spot, open the can, drop the contents and plastic bag the can - easy.

They can smell those sardines from miles away and come at 'em on the run, too. You need to stay on your toes because they scarf it up pretty quick, so don't nod off for even one minute!

Good shooting!

PD - that Heffer story is a hoot!

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IdahoVandal:

Not only do they make excellent bait for the crab pot...they work wonders when tied to a barbed wire fence just before sun up on a lightly snowing Idaho morning.....

That is one of the most cruel things that I have ever read.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of poletax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Savage99:
quote:
Originally posted by IdahoVandal:

That is one of the most cruel things that I have ever read.

Hey, at least he didn't drag em behind a truck. Smiler

PD...I have to tell that one around the fire. rotflmo

My Strength Is That I Can Laugh At Myself,
My Weakness Is That I have No Choice.

Posts: 5567 | Location: charleston,west virginia | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IdahoVandal is right when I first started trapping I did so with a guy that ran an extensive fox and coyote trapline. Between fox and coyote piss and and crats he dident use much else for bait or lure. I have never used crat but have witnessed it work many many times.

Big-un

Posts: 81 | Location: Northwest Iowa | Registered: 05 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
If you are so turned by the "cruel" factor of using live crats, the next time someone has a litter go by and record them in a box without mommy! Let it play without pause. You wouldn't believe how tasty a 'yote thinks kittens are. Nate

P.S. Max, I started laughing when I read the thread title!

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use deer for bait. The local road crew drops them in a pit and I snag one out in cold weather, wire it to a tree and watch. You must wire it up.
I push them into hedgerows so they feel safe. The feed first thing in the morning and about 2 hours after dark. When it gets real cold like 20 below they gotta eat. You'll see them in broad daylight.

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I saw a coyote mousing in a hay field at one o'clock in the afternoon this weekend and it was in the mid 60's here.
What they do depends largely on when and how they are getting messed with. A carcass laying out in the snow on a night with a full moon can be a lot of fun.

On coyotes there are no rules set in stone. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Versifier
posted Hide Post
It is now illegal to do here in NH, but I used to have great luck having my ice fishing friends just leave their trash fish on the ice next to the hole. Then in late afternoon I would settle in on the shore at different spots depending on the wind direction. I liked to shoot at a 90* angle to the wind. When they knew to expect the fish, they would check it out every day, just after dark and just before dawn. I would go once or twice a week so they would never know if I was there or not. For a couple of years after leaving the fish on the ice was banned, I had them saved in a bucket that was dumped near shore on the bank overlooking the lake. That worked, but nowhere near as well as the old system.

..And why the sea is boiling hot
And whether pigs have wings.
-Lewis Carroll

Posts: 224 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 01 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A siamese cat inside a wire cage will call coyotes for miles/hours.

Make sure the cat's out of reach and the cage is tied down so they can't tear it open or you'll have to get another cat. They do like to eat cats.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6001 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunz
posted Hide Post
I have used bacon greas spread around . Seems to bring them right in on a cold morning.

Most people are link slinkies, Basically useless but fun to push down the stairs.

Posts: 265 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote