THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    L579 Sako Forester Heavy Barrelled .243 ??

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

L579 Sako Forester Heavy Barrelled .243 ??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have just handled a one of these that is a 1970's rifle and is in mint condition. Just wondering what these were like I had not come across one before.

It has done very little work, looks in great nick. asthetically it has that 70's look if you know what I mean.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine has one.
It consistently shoots 1/2 MOA with hunting bullets from 75-95g.
Rob T

Posts: 64 | Location: Merseyside,England | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HiWall
posted Hide Post
I had one of those in .22/250. Beautiful to shoot and super accurate. The prick that stole it got a real bargain!

[ 08-10-2003, 07:00: Message edited by: HiWall ]

Posts: 323 | Location: Back Home in Aus. | Registered: 24 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You'd be hard pressed to find anything but a Sako in my safe. I don't own nothin' else!

Posts: 118 | Location: Milton, Florida USA | Registered: 25 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How do these L579's compare with the newer Sako's ??

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
PS, although the 75 is a well made rifle, especially if it don't have the synthetic stock or "Key Concept," however most Sako enthusiasts prefer the earlier Sakos. I have never owned a Sako that wouldn't shoot under and inch (except a Hunter in .17 Rem that was finicky), and I have literally owned over one hundred of them.

Will270win, you have the problem too? Sako is pretty much all I have. I have owned just about evey make of rifle out there, including one Remington, but I always sell/trade them for more Sakos. To my mind there is not a better rifle for the money. I think I need a 12 step program. [Big Grin]

[ 08-10-2003, 20:15: Message edited by: DOCTOR LOU ]

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Dont know if anyone can help but I too bought an L579, initially it was a .243 but now wears a .22/250 tube. I have glass bedded it and it shoots really well. Problem is that the trigger is quite heavy and feels decidedly lumpy...at least compared to my other rifles. My question is does anyone know of an aftermarket trigger that I could use or would I be better to get a good smith to look at the existing unit?
Thanks SR

Posts: 18 | Location: Lancashire, UK | Registered: 24 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Speaking of Sako triggers I have a situation here. I have three Sako's,an AII Varmint 22-250,an AI sporter 223 and an L579 barrelled to 7-08AI in a McMillan stock.The AI and the AII have great triggers.I've set thm to about 3#.But, the L579 won't go below 4-1/2# without failing the drop test or the bolt slam test. Triggers all look the same.Do I need different springs or what?

Posts: 588 | Location: Sherwood Park,Alberta,Canada | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've never run across a Sako with a trigger that couldn't be tuned properly, but there's always a first time. Before giving up and going with an aftermarket trigger, have someone who's familiar with Sakos look at that trigger. All of mine (almost as many as Dr. Lou's) have always responded perfectly to adjustment.

By the way, I have an HB .243 that is the Browning version built on a Sako action. It's a delight in a prairie dog town with 55 or 70 grain Ballistic Tips. I just recently acquired a .22-250 HB and am looking forward to trying it out.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PC,
I used to have a rifle exactly like the one you describe, with a Lyman Supertargetspot(20X ) on it.
The first group out of that rifle was one hole, with Remington factory loads, and with reloads it just got better.
I got into trap shooting hot and heavy for a while and during this period i traded some very nice rifles for some expensive shotguns(mistake) and now i don't have either.
My advise would be to buy it, Early Sako's are some of the very best rifles made.
Gone for a tissue,
Stepchild
Did i mention the Vixen deluxe or the 16ga. engraved Ferlach SxS.....Bang

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I personally feel that Sako makes the best varmint rifle of the bunch, and it doesn't weigh 11 lbs. They all shoot well, and it appears the ones made in the 70's were the best of the bunch.
I'd steal that sucker if I had to. It's simply a great rifle, and this one is in a great all around caliber. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote