Find
Notify
Tools

EtronX
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted
It kinda amazes me they still show this rifle on their site. 220 Swift, 22-250 & 243 Win. I have heard not a peep about this gun since it was unveiled, and never on hunting sites like this one. They still make ammo, varmint loads, except for the 90 gr. Ballistic Tip in 243, which I take is a deer/antelope round.

Is it just ahead of its time? I don't like a)the price, b)the battery, c)the lack of ammo everywhere, but the idea of faster lock times is pretty amazing, how fast it is.

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by todbartell:
It kinda amazes me they still show this rifle on their site. 220 Swift, 22-250 & 243 Win. I have heard not a peep about this gun since it was unveiled, and never on hunting sites like this one. They still make ammo, varmint loads, except for the 90 gr. Ballistic Tip in 243, which I take is a deer/antelope round.

Is it just ahead of its time? I don't like a)the price, b)the battery, c)the lack of ammo everywhere, but the idea of faster lock times is pretty amazing, how fast it is.

That and the cost of special primers at $120/1000

Posts: 938 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was put off by the requiremnent for the key switch and batteries. Of course, I'm still offended by even mechanical trigger locks.

Were I to build a serious BR rifle, maybe I'd consider the electronic lock time an advantage, but using the Rem700 would negate any benefit [Wink] .

No way I'd want this feature (or any built-in lock) for any firearm that I'd want to shoot "no matter what".

For field use, it wouldn't do me any good, even if it reduced lock time to a negative number, since that's not why I miss. When I miss, its because I fail to employ sound marksmanship techniques. [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 588 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 08 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well the rifle is just not what you would consider a benchrest gun like someone else pointed out. Another disadvantage is changing the battery in the field. I know when my group goes dog hunting we have other things to worry about instead of jaking with the guns, other than cleaning. I think the rifle will die in the next couple of years or less. It doesn't offer anything as far as advantage in the field and would be more of a burden to the shooter. It is a good idea, but not for hunting purposes. I guess they got the idea from the military which uses electric priming on some of there mini guns 20mm and 30mm. Primers are way overpriced and would cause a problem for us average shooters who go out to hunt dogs on a budget. I am pretty discusted with the firearm manufactures puting those kiddy locks on the firearms. I have bought several Remington rifles lately with those locks on them and it was the first thing I replaced. I believe in safety but I think that they are just trying to keep the gun advocates off there back. Same old shit, but it won't change until they have all our guns. Thats what gun safes are for and the idea of teaching your children not to touch them.

Posts: 99 | Location: Blue Springs, MO | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dead,
Yes, the Rem with the electronic ignition was put out to placate the gungrabbers. And yes, the firearm will probably wither on the vine because gunowners are voting with their dollars concerning this gun. I guess the next thing is that the gunhaters will federally-mandate that 2% of all guns sold be electronic ignition, kind of like they did that 2% of all cars sold in CA be electric-powered. Nobody bought them...

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of badgerrr
posted Hide Post
I've long asserted that the etronix rifle should only be considered by those looking to make an investment in it's collectability.

There will never be many of them out there. An investment today in an etronix rifle (promptly stuck in the back of the safe) may be money in the bank, in 20 years.

Posts: 107 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 01 January 2003Reply With Quote
<mbkddd>
posted
This gun was Remmington's version of proactive gun control. Think of how much money they invested on this system that is a complete failure.