Find
Notify
Tools

out for a couple of hours
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of oopswasthatyourdog?
posted
Went out for about two hours today. Boy has the vegetation grown! Hogs are getting hard to see. Unless you know where the burrows are you will walk right by them. It was a slightly overcast day and I was always hoping that the hogs would come out to bask in the heat whenever old Sol would cast his rays for a little while.
This is what the day looked like here

I had stayed in the same spot for about an hour without spotting anything so I decided to check out a nice big burrow I had found my last time out. As I put on my pack and picked up my shooting sticks I caught a glimps of a head with those punny little ears sticking out ablout 2 inches over the greenery. I knew that if I wasted any time that the little sucker would get back on all fours and he would be out of sight. I took the shot offhand standing. I walked out to where it was and counted 82 paces to where it was plugging the hole of it's burrow. Not a great shot but nice just the same.

This hog was a tiny one. Weighed about 4-5 pounds. Must have been this years model.

Made it out to the big burrow but nothing was moving about. Suddenly my phone rang and the wife announced that the kids had invited friends to supper and could I pick some extra stuff up at the grocery store. I took that as ''last call'' and made my way back to my Jeep.

I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.
- John Diefenbaker (From the Canadian Bill of Rights, July 1, 1960.)

Posts: 104 | Location: St-Athanase, Quebec, Canada | Registered: 16 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sounds like an excellent outing!

Thanks very much,
Robert (13.45)
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 83 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 21 March 2006Reply With Quote